Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Road Trip

Indiana fans complain if they have to travel over an hour for a sectional game. If they have to travel 2-3 hours for a regional or semi-state. It's all perspective because in some states those distances are common for Tuesday night conference basketball games. Check out this road trip for the first round of the Montana HS football playoffs.

https://www.montanasports.com/high-school/warm-up-the-bus-baker-owns-longest-road-trip-of-first-round

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have spent a good portion of my summers in the western Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  One of the local teams, the Ironwood Red Devils (RDP Yoopers) is pretty good and making long bus rides to Marquette is not uncommon. 

Edited by Gipper
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Punttheball said:

Honestly, I think most of the complaints come when you drive by 2-3 schools of the same size on your way to a sectional match up.  

Start playing the sectional title games at neutral sites (and the regionals and semi-states).  Doesn't even have to be the same class of school that is hosting.  That should cut out the whining about long road trips because there would be a lot less..

In TX I've driven almost 2 hours for some regular season games, and 3+ hours for playoff games is not unheard of.

There was a semi-state game a few years ago in our classification where the drive was 4 1/2 hours for each team to the neutral site.

Edited by Bonecrusher
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bonecrusher said:

In TX I've driven almost 2 hours for some regular season games, and 3+ hours for playoff games is not unheard of.

There was a semi-state game a few years ago in our classification where the drive was 4 1/2 hours for each team to the neutral site.

I have heard, no idea to the validity, that some teams schools charter planes for playoff games. 

4 hours ago, Bonecrusher said:

Well in all honesty, Texas is bigger than some countries in the world.  LOL

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

I believe you, but chartering a plane is very expensive.

Well if it is Texas, everyone is rich in Texas.  LOL

3 hours ago, Bonecrusher said:

If you live in the cities in Texas, it takes an hour minimum just to pull out of your driveway.  It's a four-hour trip just from Dallas to Houston for the state finals.  Those teams from El Paso take about 11 hours to make that same trip to NRG Stadium.  Heck, you can make it from Indy to Oklahoma City in the same time.

10 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Well in all honesty, Texas is bigger than some countries in the world.  LOL

Well if it is Texas, everyone is rich in Texas.  LOL

That's pretty obvious.  Also requires longer drives to fb games for many.  Folk in smaller states got it pretty good in that regard.

I know one guy in TX that isn't rich lol.  Seriously, I've never heard of a team chartering a plane, not that it couldn't happen.  I do know of many schools, even a few 2A's that have very nice "tour buses" to go to away games with.

Edited by Bonecrusher

9 hours ago, Gipper said:

I have spent a good portion of my summers in the western Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  One of the local teams, the Ironwood Red Devils (RDP Yoopers) is pretty good and making long bus rides to Marquette is not uncommon. 

My older sister worked in the Ottawa National Forest for several years. I was able to take a couple of trips UP there. 🙂 It certainly is a different world up there. 

Sports Illustrated did a story about a team in Alaska many years ago. One topic covered was The unreal travel times and mileage for road games. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bonecrusher said:

That's pretty obvious.  Also requires longer drives to fb games for many.  Folk in smaller states got it pretty good in that regard.

I know one guy in TX that isn't rich lol.  Seriously, I've never heard of a team chartering a plane, not that it couldn't happen.  I do know of many schools, even a few 2A's that have nice "tour buses" to go to away games with.

I remember when Sheridan played Linton in the 1998 semi-state game, the Blackhawks showed up in a charter bus.  It was kind of impressive actually.  Then they thumped Linton in the game.  LOL  I'm sure there is some rich daddy somewhere in Texas that probably has his own plane and could fly the team to the game.  But then they would still need a bus to get from the airport to the game, right?  Unless they all parachuted out on the field.  LOL

Tenaha H.S. in east TX.  I believe I saw their 9-12 enrollment on "snapshot day", last Friday, was 159.  Class 2A Div 2.  They ride in this.

They have made some deep playoff runs in the last 10-12 years.  But so did our school and my boys never got a ride like this one.

TT.jpg

Edited by Bonecrusher

One of my coolest travel stories ever didnt even start with a high school game in mind. A buddy and I went to Bloomington for the Bucket game. It was about half time and Purdue was killing IU and I turned to my buddy and said hey Roncolli is playing Jasper for a semi-state title tonight in Jasper wanna leave here and head to the game? Him being as crazy as I am said sure. Neither of us had ever been to Jasper so I had to look it up on my phone. We hopped in the truck and started down south to go watch the game. I put in Jasper High School in my phone thinking the stadium was at the school. Well we get there and the school looks deserted. A guys just happened to be walking his dog and told us the field was actually near the center of town. We got there the visiting stands and home stands were packed so we ended up standing I  the end zone. I looked over and low and behold Jimmy "Mad Dog" was standing right next to me chewing on a cigar. Didnt get back into indy till almost 1 in the morning. Best road trip for football I've ever been on. 

I love traveling 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

I remember when Sheridan played Linton in the 1998 semi-state game, the Blackhawks showed up in a charter bus.  It was kind of impressive actually.  Then they thumped Linton in the game.  LOL  I'm sure there is some rich daddy somewhere in Texas that probably has his own plane and could fly the team to the game.  But then they would still need a bus to get from the airport to the game, right?  Unless they all parachuted out on the field.  LOL

Shoot some of these boys with old oil money would probably hire limos to drive them from the airport to the stadium.  Or, they might send a fleet of lifted 4WD diesel dually pickups to get them.  Could go either way depending on how redneck the guy with the cash is.....

4 minutes ago, Bonecrusher said:

Shoot some of these boys with old oil money would probably hire limos to drive them from the airport to the stadium.  Or, they might send a fleet of lifted 4WD diesel dually pickups to get them.  Could go either way depending on how redneck the guy with the cash is.....

LOL Aren't all of those "old oil money" guys rednecks?  And you are probably right about the limos.  That would be a sight:  a fleet of limos pulling up to a game and the football team all pile out of them.  LOL  Slightly intimidating???

1 hour ago, Gridiron_Junkie said:

I live within 3 blocks of my home stadium, so as for me, i'd rather travel. Some of my favorite memories are the traveling to places that I haven't been too, or just a getting the chance to revisit a past stadium.

When I was coaching, I preferred to be in the road. No distractions, got off the bus, warmed up, and played. No time to dick around with parents, boyfriends, classmates. I liked the rigid structure of being in the road. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bonecrusher said:

Tenaha H.S. in east TX.  I believe I saw their 9-12 enrollment on "snapshot day", last Friday, was 159.  Class 2A Div 2.  They ride in this.

They have made some deep playoff runs in the last 10-12 years.  But so did our school and my boys never got a ride like this one.

TT.jpg

That part of the state isn't known for money.  Maybe they have a rich alumnus ... although I think Wilkinson is probably the most famous.

20 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

When I was coaching, I preferred to be in the road. No distractions, got off the bus, warmed up, and played. No time to dick around with parents, boyfriends, classmates. I liked the rigid structure of being in the road. 

Completely agree.  Not to mention the student section at one school where I coached acted like they were in a contest to see who could be the biggest jack@ss.  It was embarrassing to play a home game.

2 hours ago, Gridiron_Junkie said:

I live within 3 blocks of my home stadium, so as for me, i'd rather travel. Some of my favorite memories are the traveling to places that I haven't been too, or just a getting the chance to revisit a past stadium.

I agree!  It's fun to travel and see new venues.  No distance is too far to travel to watch my school play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

I agree!  It's fun to travel and see new venues.  No distance is too far to travel to watch my school play.

There are few things more satisfying than traveling to someone else’s place, smacking the snot out of them, and then reveling in the victory on a long bus ride home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1