Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

off setting penalties

CaptainHook

Question

9 answers to this question

3 hours ago, CaptainHook said:

Team A intercepts the ball and returns it 50 yards before being tackled.  A personal foul (face mask) is called on the tackle by Team B.  During the return, Team A is also flagged for holding.  Where is the ball spotted?

First, we go to A’s captain and ask him if he’d like to keep the football. Since A got the ball with “clean hands,” i.e., without fouling, they get to keep the ball ... but only if they decline the penalty for the facemask foul. So, A will decline that penalty. Then B will accept the penalty for A’s holding foul during the return. That penalty is enforced differently, depending on where the foul occurred. If it occurred in advance of the end of the return, it’s enforced from the end of the return. If it occurred behind the end of the return, it’s enforced from the spot of the foul. 10 yds. 1st and 10 for Team A.

If, for some weird reason, A accepts the penalty for the facemask foul, then you have a double foul. The penalties offset and you replay the down at the previous spot.

Simple, no?

43 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

This was incorrectly ruled this weekend at Whiteland.  New Pal kept the ball but it was returned to the spot of the interception.

I wasn't there, but if the hold was 10 yards from the interception spot and the intercepting team returned it beyond the spot of the foul, then the 10 yard holding penalty would coincidently take the ball back to the place the ball was originally intercepted. I'm not sure that's what happened, just providing some insight. 

46 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

This was incorrectly ruled this weekend at Whiteland.  New Pal kept the ball but it was returned to the spot of the interception.

That actually could have been a correct enforcement, but only by coincidence. If the holding took place 10 yds. in advance of the spot of the interception during the return, enforcement would take it back to the spot of the interception. But that's not because that's where it's supposed to go, but because that just happened to be 10 yds. from the basic spot, i.e., the spot of the foul.

1 minute ago, Moshiner1345 said:

I wasn't there, but if the hold was 10 yards from the interception spot and the intercepting team returned it beyond the spot of the foul, then the 10 yard holding penalty would coincidently take the ball back to the place the ball was originally intercepted. I'm not sure that's what happened, just providing some insight. 

You beat me to the punch by about 5 seconds. :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1