Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The better team ALWAY’s wins

22 minutes ago, southend said:

Is this statement saying, on that day or over all for the season, a better team?

Neither is true in my opinion.  It's a funny game.

Single elimination tournaments are designed to crown a champion, not parse out who the best team is. In my examples above, the losers win those games 9 times out of 10.

Herb Brooks said it best in his pregame speech to the US Hockey Team before the game with the USSR in 1980, if we play them 10 times, they will win 9, but not this game, not tonight. Tonight, we are the greatest hockey team in the world. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Single elimination tournaments are designed to crown a champion, not parse out who the best team is. In my examples above, the losers win those games 9 times out of 10.

Herb Brooks said it best in his pregame speech to the US Hockey Team before the game with the USSR in 1980, if we play them 10 times, they will win 9, but not this game, not tonight. Tonight, we are the greatest hockey team in the world. 

I was literally just trying to cut and paste that scene from “Miracle”.

”T’night, we are da’ greatest hockey team in da’ world!”

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

New York Jets 16 Baltimore Colts 7

USA 4 USSR 3

NCS 54 Houston 52

Buster Douglass knocks out Mike Tyson

George Mason vs. Michigan State, North Carolina, Wichita State, UConn.....

Japan 3 USA 1 

John Daly 91 PGA

Shall I go on?

Not that this was really an upset, or related to this thread, but I've been thinking about this while keeping an eye on reputation counts and just want a reason to post it..............

Once you get to tourney season, it's all about the point in time as opposed to a stretch of time.  If you can't muster enough to be the better team by the end of the gametime, all the stuff before or after doesn't really matter to that final score.  Similarly, if a team has struggled all season long, that doesn't matter if you can get it together for 48 minutes on that one night.  Of course, to stick around, you have to get it together for the next time too.  I'll tell the players that I coach that they should be humble in victory and gracious in defeat.  The gracious in defeat means not taking away from an opponent's victory over us by making excuses or talking about luck or talking about what might happen next time ... it ultimately comes down to the opponent was the better team when it mattered; when the game clock read 0:00 at the end of the 4th quarter.

The better team doesn't always win.  For example the Indiana Pacers, yes I know it's basketball, lost to Charlotte 122-120 in OT Tuesday night but Charlotte attempted 42 free throws and the Pacers attempted 7.  Sometimes there are outside forces that determine the outcome.

• Thanks 1