Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

No Football at Clark and Gavit 2021 schools Close

Tough situation Hammond is in.   They passed Referendum, but seems like the parents thought it would save all 4 HS, however it did not.   

Super states in article they wanted to do everything in their power to not get taken over by the state, which is understandable because its not going so well in nearby Gary.   

https://www.nwitimes.com/news/education/you-lied-to-us-clark-gavit-schools-to-close-parents/article_cbc7d924-7150-5ab2-8faa-3b5d3cf2db8b.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Not sure why but I never can access the NWI Times website. From what I read elsewhere, Clark and Gavit will become middle schools. They are already building a new Hammond High adjacent to the current building. Clark students will move to the new Hammond High and Gavit students will be split between Hammond High and Morton. The goal is for each high schools to have about 1,800 students so 5A for football and 4A for basketball.

6 minutes ago, Payne said:

Not sure why but I never can access the NWI Times website. From what I read elsewhere, Clark and Gavit will become middle schools. They are already building a new Hammond High adjacent to the current building. Clark students will move to the new Hammond High and Gavit students will be split between Hammond High and Morton. The goal is for each high schools to have about 1,800 students so 5A for football and 4A for basketball.

Thought it read in one of the articles, School City of Hammond would try and sell Gavit and Clark???????

2 hours ago, Boilernation said:

DT came close to his wish of 1 public Hammond HS. 

I've been for two schools in Hammond.  Morton on the east side and Hammond High on the west side

This is a tremendous contraction move and will reinvigorate high school football in Hammond.   I would look for both schools to be approached for membership by the Northwest Crossroads Conference, along with EC Central and possibly Gary West Side

2 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

Appears so.

This is great news.  Clark and Gavit are obsolete properties.  The new Hammond High School with be a technological marvel and Morton is an excellent overall facility.   

1 hour ago, DT said:

I've been for two schools in Hammond.  Morton on the east side and Hammond High on the west side

This is a tremendous contraction move and will reinvigorate high school football in Hammond.   I would look for both schools to be approached for membership by the Northwest Crossroads Conference, along with EC Central and possibly Gary West Side

Got ya. It really wouldn’t be a bad idea for the NCC, if you exclude the country club sports. 

16 hours ago, DT said:

The NCC I guarantee won’t be extending an offer.  That’s the reason the lake 10 split. Ticket sales is huge...especially in football. Hammond, East Chicago, and Gary don’t draw at home let alone on the road.   If the NCC adds again which I don’t see soon,I think a growing Hanover Central would be their next addition. 

12 minutes ago, GATA said:

The NCC I guarantee won’t be extending an offer.  That’s the reason the lake 10 split. Ticket sales is huge...especially in football. Hammond, East Chicago, and Gary don’t draw at home let alone on the road.   If the NCC adds again which I don’t see soon,I think a growing Hanover Central would be their next addition. 

Valid point, but all 3 do draw decently for basketball. in terms of just football, how good is attendance for Highland and KV?

46 minutes ago, GATA said:

Do you really think that Hanover Central would be ready for that conference move?

1 hour ago, GATA said:

I'm not so sure about that.   Morton and Hammond High become much more valuable acquisition targets without the baggage of having to carry Clark and Gavit on their coattails

The NCC and Morton already have a very strong relationship.  They see a lot of each other in regular season and sectional play.   There was talk at one time that the NCC wanted Morton but the school town of Hammond would not allow the Govs to split from the other Hammond schools

Hammond High will be transformed with the new school and facilities.  You will probably see some inbound Illinois transfers taking advantage of this new asset.   HHS will likely also gain some Poll students

Morton and Hammond High at 1800 student 5A schools makes the NCC a much more formidable football conference.  Basketball will be terrific as well.   And I would love to see ECC invited as well.   With the new school in Hammond, the stigma of the rust belt city will begin to wear off and become less of a road block for the NCC decision makers.    

I love the look of this conference:

Munster

Morton

Hammond High

EC Central

Highland

Hobart

Kankakee Valley

Lowell

Andrean

Gary West Side would make it 10 if they could meet certain entrance requirements to gain NCC membership

Edited by DT

18 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

convert the NCC to the Hoosier conference model of East / West   play week 9 cross over championship games.   

Don't see it happening, but fun to discuss 

No thanks.   I'd prefer a round robin 8 game conference schedule with room for 1 non con

Traditional rivalries such as Munster-Lake Central, Lowell - Crown Point, KV - Renseltucky  and Andrean-Merrillville can continue, as well as the new Hobart-Merrrillviile series.  

Edited by DT

18 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

convert the NCC to the Hoosier conference model of East / West   play week 9 cross over championship games.   

Don't see it happening, but fun to discuss 

I mean if we are day dreaming let’s add the Bombers( shorter drives to HC,kv, Lowell maybe?). And if a Prexit occurs with Penn leaving the NIC the New Prairie splits to the NCC lol.  

Maybe things have changed but I don’t think there is interest from the NCC to add those schools (Morton/Hammond/Ecc) ....I think the GLAC should add a couple more steel belt teams and be a monster hoops conf. 

I think the lack of some of the other sports at those schools would keep them out and I believe for better or worse It’s likely to stay a suburban conf.  That can put full teams in all of the sports out there. Plus I think they like the flexibility of scheduling right now. 

As far as KV and Highland they at least usually bring a student section of some sort to road games and draw ok at home. Morton had a Really good team this year and had no crowd for a home sectional game vs Hobart. 

Edited by GATA

3 minutes ago, GATA said:

I mean if we are day dreaming let’s add the Bombers( shorter drives to HC,kv, Lowell maybe?). And if a Prexit occurs with Penn leaving the NIC the New Prairie splits to the NCC lol.  

Maybe things have changed but I don’t think there is interest from the NCC to add those schools (Morton/Hammond/Ecc) ....I think the GLAC should add a couple more steel belt teams and be a monster hoops conf. 

I think the lack of some of the other sports at those schools would keep them out and I believe for better or worse It’s likely to stay a suburban conf.  That can put full teams in all of the sports out there. Plus I think they like the flexibility of scheduling right now. 

As far as KV and Highland they at least usually bring a student section of some sort to road games and draw ok at home. Morton had a Really good team this year and had no crowd for a home sectional game vs Hobart. 

The NCC has been weakened by the loss of Griffith and the alarming decline at Munster

The GLAC could surpass them if they don't watch their flanks.   

Expansion is the key to continued relevancy

18 minutes ago, GATA said:

Don't want to speak for @Coach Nowlin and his guys, but I think RCHS fits in nicely with the Hoosier Conference mix despite the time changes that teams put up with.

43 minutes ago, DT said:

No thanks.   I'd prefer a round robin 8 game conference schedule with room for 1 non con

Traditional rivalries such as Munster-Lake Central, Lowell - Crown Point, KV - Renseltucky  and Andrean-Merrillville can continue, as well as the new Hobart-Merrrillviile series.  

however in the Hoosier Model you can have best of both worlds:  2 non conference games and 2 games that you can reach across the aisle to other NCC teams and play.   

For instance:  RCHS plays Western and Northwestern in Hoosier Conference EAST, these games are non conference games.  The conference decided to help each other out on scheduling games so that each team in the East/West will play 2 others from the other division each year.    That leaves 2 openings for RCHS to play KV and NN, 2 natural and geographical rivals.   

WL plays Jeff and McCutcheon in non conference and Cass/Hamilton Heights in other 2 non 

LCC plays Guerin and Tri West 

BC plays Seeger and Delphi

TL plays 4 teams from East division:  HH, NW, Tipton and Western 

Tipton plays local rivals, Elwood and Madison Grant 

Western:  plays WEBO along with BC, TL, and RCHS

NW:  plays Eastern Hancock (though that changes next year) along with TL, RCHS, LCC

Cass plays:  Maconaquah and Pioneer as geographical rivals 

HH plays Mount Vernon in the Kirschner bowl and North Mont  

23 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Don't want to speak for @Coach Nowlin and his guys, but I think RCHS fits in nicely with the Hoosier Conference mix despite the time changes that teams put up with.

This is correct 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Graphic Context said:

Interesting choice. Do you see growth in that school district in the future? Is that why you would say that it would be a good move? To me they seem to fit in very well with the GSSC.

Growth.  Yep.  They can compete well in all the sports.  Might take a bump or two against a hobart or lowell once in awhile, but they have andrean on schedule already in football.

They would be just fine and be competing at the top of the conference in no time.

3 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

Growth.  Yep.  They can compete well in all the sports.  Might take a bump or two against a hobart or lowell once in awhile, but they have andrean on schedule already in football.

They would be just fine and be competing at the top of the conference in no time.

Hanover and Andrean will not be playing next year