Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Watch Out for Rutgers!

Guest DT

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2019/12/heres-how-greg-schiano-has-impacted-rutgers-2020-recruiting-class-after-1st-week-on-the-job.html

Schiano and staff coming out swinging in attempt to save the Rutgers recruiting class.  

Look for these guys to win some late battles and flip som previously committed players.  

I believe Rutgers will quickly pass Maryland and start chasing Indiana quickly in the Big Ten East race.

5 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Rutgers doesn't have the money/facilities/resources/fan support to compete in the B10. 

Rutgers will enjoy a short period uptick in recruiting (similar to that of Purdue the last couple years) by being able to offer immediate playing time until it plateaus. 

Every conference has multiple tiers.

Tier 1 - Consistent top level

Tier 2 - Consistent mid level

Tier 3 - Consistent lower level

Rutgers is a T3 program.  Their goal is to bump to Tier 2 status, same as Indiana, Illinois and Purdue.  

The addition of Schiano makes this now a 4 team race.

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Every conference has multiple tiers.

Tier 1 - Consistent top level

Tier 2 - Consistent mid level

Tier 3 - Consistent lower level

Rutgers is a T3 program.  Their goal is to bump to Tier 2 status, same as Indiana, Illinois and Purdue.  

The addition of Schiano makes this now a 4 team race.

Not disagreeing about tiers although I would put Rutgers in a tier of their own. They STINK.

They aren't anywhere close to passing anyone. 

3 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Not disagreeing about tiers although I would put Rutgers in a tier of their own. They STINK.

They aren't anywhere close to passing anyone. 

They are paying their coach $4M   They have some resources.  The governor of NJ was at Schiano introductory press conference.  They are going all in.  NJ has a lot of talent.  If I were looking for a coach and had the choice of Lovie, Allen, Brohm or Schiano, Id take Schiano.

Edited by DT

3 minutes ago, DT said:

They are paying their coach $4M   They have some resources.  The governor of NJ was at Schiano introductory press conference.  They are going all in.  NJ has a lot of talent.  If I were looking for a coach and had the choice of Lovie, Allen, Brohm or Schiano, Id take Schiano.

Every P5 school hiring is paying their coach ~$4/mil. That's the going rate these days. This isn't 2008 anymore. Rutgers could compete in the old Big East, they are doomed in the B10.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gipper said:

I just don't see Rutgers as legit.   They may qualify for the Outback Bowl a time or two, but nothing beyond that as they're stuck in the B1G East with Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State.

I think Outback Bowl is giving them wayyyy too much credit. That would involve a 9, possibly 10 win season. Ain't happening in the B10 East. 

5 minutes ago, Gipper said:

I just don't see Rutgers as legit.   They may qualify for the Outback Bowl a time or two, but nothing beyond that as they're stuck in the B1G East with Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State.

Rutgers is in the same boat as Indiana, Purdue, Illinois , Maryland and possibly even Nebraska and Northwestern.

The possibility of ever winning a BT championship or reaching the playoff is remote.

These schools know their place.  They are Tier 3 schools who strive for Tier 2 status.  Rutgers, given their fertile recruiting ground and with the return of Schiano, has just as  good a chance as the others.  

Edited by DT

10 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I think Outback Bowl is giving them wayyyy too much credit. That would involve a 9, possibly 10 win season. Ain't happening in the B10 East. 

Very true.  College football on the east coast just can't piss in the tall weeds with the big dogs.  Well, an exception can be made for Penn State, and that's about it.

Just now, Footballking16 said:

Tier 1: OSU, UM, PSU, WIS

Tier 2: MSU, IA, NW, MN

Tier 3: PU, IU, NE, MD

Rutgers is in a tier of their own. They stink.

They certainly do today.  That will change.  

3 minutes ago, DT said:

They certainly do today.  That will change.  

Outside their inaugural year in the B10 when they went 8-5, they've won 4, 2, 4, 1 and 2 games and it's precisely because they've cut off their NJ recruiting ties playing in a Midwestern conference and now competing against teams who have some of the largest athletic budgets in the country. 

I don't believe Schiano will be Chris Ash bad, but it will be a monumental uphill battle for Rutgers just to get 5-6 wins a year regularly. 

13 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Outside their inaugural year in the B10 when they went 8-5, they've won 4, 2, 4, 1 and 2 games and it's precisely because they've cut off their NJ recruiting ties playing in a Midwestern conference and now competing against teams who have some of the largest athletic budgets in the country. 

I don't believe Schiano will be Chris Ash bad, but it will be a monumental uphill battle for Rutgers just to get 5-6 wins a year regularly. 

Agree.

It will take a Herculean effort to lift Rutgers football out of the dumps.  Im not sure anybody else could do it, or would even be willing to try.  

This will be Schiano's last job.  He will give it his all.  I expect them to be at IU-Illinois-Purdue-Maryland level very quickly.  

2 hours ago, DT said:

Tier 1 :  OSU, UM, PSU, WIS

Tier 2 : IA. MSU, NW, MN, NE

Tier 3 : IU, PU, RU, IL, MD

Might be overrating Nebraska and NW at this point. I also think when we look at tiers with the B1G, we have to look at the divisions. The West has one tier 1 team. 2 tier 2 teams. The stakes are also better for PU, and UI to break through and be in the division title picture at the end of the season; much more so that teams like IU, MD, and Rutgers ever will in the East. Getting to a conference championship would be a big step for those programs, and would have even been a huge step for MN this season. I will be curious to see if Fleck can build on their success this season, or if they fall back. 

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

Might be overrating Nebraska and NW at this point. I also think when we look at tiers with the B1G, we have to look at the divisions. The West has one tier 1 team. 2 tier 2 teams. The stakes are also better for PU, and UI to break through and be in the division title picture at the end of the season; much more so that teams like IU, MD, and Rutgers ever will in the East. Getting to a conference championship would be a big step for those programs, and would have even been a huge step for MN this season. I will be curious to see if Fleck can build on their success this season, or if they fall back. 

Agree.

NE is only keeping their head afloat on name recognition. They've had a losing record the last 3 years and can't seem to grab any momentum. 

57 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Agree.

NE is only keeping their head afloat on name recognition. They've had a losing record the last 3 years and can't seem to grab any momentum. 

I gave them the benefit of the doubt.  Same with NW.  And MSU seems to be slipping.