Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Outside the Huddle: Fan Vote: What is the best HS FB facility in NE Indiana?

I was thinking of that.  I'm going to sound a bit old, but when I was a youngster Bud and Jim.....blah blah blah.  🙂   I didn't really take a good look.  It's the same ol', same ol', really!  Not even a write in.  

Edited by Robert

I haven’t been to all of them, but here’s my take:

The Inferno, Lowell: call me a homer, but it’s got a great old school feel.  A natural grass playing surface, great concessions, and an awesome student section.

Ames Field, Michigan City: only been there once or twice, but it looks great from the Franklin Street.

Demaree Stadium, Merrillville: looks very imposing from I-65.  Part of a good looking athletic complex

Chesterton: great stands and playing surface, third DAC, stadium—something’s gotta give...

Valparaiso: ...maybe not.  Boone Grove also plays their home games there, must be an OK place.

Football is very big in the region.  Sure, the DAC and NCC may not rack up state championships like the MIC, but there are a lot of great rivalries up here which make it fun.  

Edited by Gipper

5 minutes ago, Gipper said:

I haven’t been to all of them, but here’s my take:

The Inferno, Lowell: call me a homer, but it’s got a great old school feel.  A natural grass playing surface, great concessions, and an awesome student section.

Ames Field, Michigan City: only been there once or twice, but it looks great from the Franklin Street.

Demaree Stadium, Merrillville: looks very imposing from I-65.  Part of a good looking athletic complex

Chesterton: great stands and playing surface, third DAC, stadium—something’s gotta give...

Valparaiso: ...maybe not.  Boone Grove also plays their home games there, must be an OK place.

Football is very big in the region.  Sure, the DAC and NCC may not rack up state championships like the MIC, but there are a lot of great rivalries up here which make it fun.  

Been by Crown Point and Lake Central many times, just OK.  Munster—not bad, Whiting is pretty cool, Hanover Central—meh, Portage is pretty nice.  I also like Andrean’s and although I’m not sure if you’d count Rensselaer as NWI, I’ve always liked their football stadium.  I remember back in the 1980s, they had a replica on a WWII era bomber at their gate entrance—pretty cool.

He has a lot of great atmospheres on his list. However, the vote is for the best "facility." One of the best facilities in all of Northern Indiana isn't even on this list for Northeast Indiana. No one's perfect I guess.

4 hours ago, BTF said:

He has a lot of great atmospheres on his list. However, the vote is for the best "facility." One of the best facilities in all of Northern Indiana isn't even on this list for Northeast Indiana. No one's perfect I guess.

My bad, yet the rules don’t apply to someone of my stature.

My criteria are somewhat different than most. They include locker rooms, playing surface, atmosphere, and the other things that are important to someone who doesn’t spend time sitting in the stands.

Limited to NW Indiana, and in no particular order, my favorites are:

Lowell - It’s a bit a of a hike from the locker room to the field, but the Inferno is awesome. Always an enthusiastic crowd,  and the hospitality is first rate. It’s not like the old days when KK was there, but it’s still pretty good.

Valparaiso - A top notch program with a fine facility. Very classy. Great crowd support and great hospitality.

Hobart - The most knowledgeable fans in the Region. Best playing surface in the Region. Their great tradition makes every game there an event. And their facility is such a vast improvement over the miserable Brickie Bowl ...

Crown Point - Nicest overall facility. Great hospitality. Every game is Pop Warner night, or midget cheerleader night, or something like that. Always a festive atmosphere. Tied with Hobart for the best PA system, and whoever picks out their music has great taste: AC/DC, Guns ‘N Roses, Led Zeppelin, Queen.

Rensselaer - Had to give props to @Coach Nowlin’s crew. Nobody treats you better than the Bombers. Great small-town high school football feel, like the whole town turns out. Pound for pound, the most supportive study body around.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Bobref said:

My criteria are somewhat different than most. They include locker rooms, playing surface, atmosphere, and the other things that are important to someone who doesn’t spend time sitting in the stands.

Limited to NW Indiana, and in no particular order, my favorites are:

Lowell - It’s a bit a of a hike from the locker room to the field, but the Inferno is awesome. Always an enthusiastic crowd,  and the hospitality is first rate. It’s not like the old days when KK was there, but it’s still pretty good.

Valparaiso - A top notch program with a fine facility. Very classy. Great crowd support and great hospitality.

Hobart - The most knowledgeable fans in the Region. Best playing surface in the Region. Their great tradition makes every game there an event. And their facility is such a vast improvement over the miserable Brickie Bowl ...

Crown Point - Nicest overall facility. Great hospitality. Every game is Pop Warner night, or midget cheerleader night, or something like that. Always a festive atmosphere. Tied with Hobart for the best PA system, and whoever picks out their music has great taste: AC/DC, Guns ‘N Roses, Led Zeppelin, Queen.

Rensselaer - Had to give props to @Coach Nowlin’s crew. Nobody treats you better than the Bombers. Great small-town high school football feel, like the whole town turns out. Pound for pound, the most supportive study body around.

The atmosphere is an important part of the facility as all fields indeed are 100 yards long.  Some have turf, while others have grass.  This is where it gets fun.  Add hazards like you would see on a golf course such as a sand trap.  I personally would like a minefield, but things could get ugly...

That was me.. OOPS!  Northeast Indiana.  I was going to put FW area, but changed it and have three teenagers rowdying up and making noise in the area.  I can't edit, but maybe one of the bosses will.  

Edited by Robert

13 minutes ago, Robert said:

That was me.. OOPS!  Northeast Indiana.  I was going to put FW area, but changed it and have three teenagers rowdying up and making noise in the area.  I can't edit, but maybe one of the bosses will.  

I was a little curious.  I like the NE part of the state, but know very little of the facilities.   Hopefully they’ll be in use this fall...

I’m just glad my good buddy @Bobref chimed in or I would have looked even more foolish than usual...

41 minutes ago, Gipper said:

I was a little curious.  I like the NE part of the state, but know very little of the facilities.   Hopefully they’ll be in use this fall...

I’m just glad my good buddy @Bobref chimed in or I would have looked even more foolish than usual...

If it’s NE Indiana, I’m not nearly as familiar with that area, but have been to several good places out that way. Adams Central is another one of those great small town football venues. Never treated better anywhere than we were treated at AC. Garrett is also a very cool place. Been to Spuller and Zollner, but not recently. Meh...

1 minute ago, Bobref said:

If it’s NE Indiana, I’m not nearly as familiar with that area, but have been to several good places out that way. Adams Central is another one of those great small town football venues. Never treated better anywhere than we were treated at AC. Garrett is also a very cool place. Been to Spuller and Zollner, but not recently. Meh...

Another great region of our great state is the Southwest.  My wife is a Barr-Reeve grad, the Vikings are traditionally a baseball, basketball, and every other sport except football (because they don’t have a team) power.  Real friendly folks down there, and the same can be said for folks from places like Linton, Paoli, and Vincennes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert said:

Fixed it....Try this, because it may not be obvious how to edit....scroll your mouse over the title; see if you get a thin popup of the title, and at the end of it, what I saw was "click and hold to edit". 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bobref said:

We do enjoy our Football Friday's down here in Jasper County!!      Looking forward to many more Fridays !!!

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 9:09 PM, Irishman said:

Fixed it....Try this, because it may not be obvious how to edit....scroll your mouse over the title; see if you get a thin popup of the title, and at the end of it, what I saw was "click and hold to edit". 

I don't get anything if I scroll over.  However, thank you, and Go Bulldogs!

Edited by Robert
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2020 at 3:40 PM, Gipper said:

I went to my nephew's football game at Hart High School just outside Los Angeles a few years ago.  They were selling sushi at the concession stand! 

How was the crowd?  I have friends in Altadena and they talk about the big difference from Mishawaka and their new high school as far as school athletic support.  

2 hours ago, Robert said:

How was the crowd?  I have friends in Altadena and they talk about the big difference from Mishawaka and their new high school as far as school athletic support.  

It was a rivalry game, so the crowd was very good.