Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

How did New Pal Slip So Quickly?

Guest DT

39 minutes ago, DT said:

Thats silly and proves your non serious and blase' attitude towards the issue.  Schools outgrow conferences all the time.  Some stay out of convenience.  Penn would be an example of that thinking.  

Well you seem to want the IHSAA to tell families where they can buy homes and that's not silly? 🤔 

11 minutes ago, Lysander said:

What?

Ya what? Has Roncalli actually ever played up a class?

Edit* Should have looked myself. Yes they have, lost to Cathedral twice in 5A sectionals. Go figure, a 4A school by enrollment. If anything, the SF has helped Roncalli as they've managed to avoid Cathedral in sectionals (with the above exception) since the SF inception. If anything, the SF has helped Roncalli. 

Edited by Footballking16

17 minutes ago, Justasportsfan said:

One thing DT is good at is creating hot topics on the forum..i enjoy his posts along with many others..i play devils advocate myself from time to time..we're just talking high school football which is gr8! Hey imjustasports fan though.

If they have a legit point or some basis in fact then fine.  But to just throw stuff ldagainst the wall to see who you can aggravate is childish and annoying. 

6 minutes ago, dmizers3 said:

If they have a legit point or some basis in fact then fine.  But to just throw stuff ldagainst the wall to see who you can aggravate is childish and annoying. 

I think the legit point is IHSAA's role in keeping competitive balance...do they have one? should they? if yes, what should it look like? etc. etc.  To me that's the main point of conversation that should be taking place...And I think it is an interesting one.

Making accusations against a specific school and/or family to argue points within that conversation obviously won't be tolerated.  

That being said, New Pal is still well coached and solid.  A 4-1 record shows no signs of slippage...But I did raise my eyebrows at the GC score.  Are they that much improved?

18 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Edit* Should have looked myself. Yes they have, lost to Cathedral twice in 5A sectionals. Go figure, a 4A school by enrollment. If anything, the SF has helped Roncalli as they've managed to avoid Cathedral in sectionals (with the above exception) since the SF inception. If anything, the SF has helped Roncalli. 

In roughly the 7 seasons prior to the start of the SF, Roncalli never made it out of Sectional and was marginally over a .500 program.

Apparently “Hegemony” has a different definition for some.

Honestly, the SF factor was a salvation for them.

Edited by Lysander

8 minutes ago, Lysander said:

In roughly the 7 seasons prior to the start of the SF Roncalli never made it out of Sectional and was marginally over a .500 program.

Apparently “Hegemony” has a different definition for some.

Honestly, the SF factor was a salvation for them.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

28 minutes ago, dmizers3 said:

Well you seem to want the IHSAA to tell families where they can buy homes and that's not silly? 🤔 

I want the IHSAA to step in and mitigate extreme circumstances that impact competitive balance.  In my view, the whole CS saga is a prime example of the need for more IHSAA transfer oversite.  

9 minutes ago, DT said:

I want the IHSAA to step in and mitigate extreme circumstances that impact competitive balance.  In my view, the whole CS saga is a prime example of the need for more IHSAA transfer oversite.  

What's the IHSAA supposed to say, "Your family can't move to New Palestine"?

31 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

It was the Roncalli people who picked up arms to defend all PPs schools during the  5 Year PP-Public War   2004-2009      Roncalli, like its brothers Chatard and Cathedral and Luers and Dwenger have all had their periods of extended, sustained dominance.  While not quite as decorated in championship hardware as some of its brethren, RHS was indeed the posterboy for PP hegemony during this period.

LOL  How soon they forget

4 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

What's the IHSAA supposed to say, "Your family can't move to New Palestine"?

No  The IHSAA can however say, "Mr Spegal, your son cannot transfer and play varsity football at New Pal because this will have a long term deleterious impact on the HHC and upset the natural order of competitive balance within the conference."

That is the kind of action that visionary leaders take.

Edited by DT

13 minutes ago, DT said:

No  The IHSAA can however say, "Mr Spegal, your son cannot transfer and play varsity football at New Pal because this will have a long term deleterious impact on the HHC and upset the natural order of competitive balance within the conference."

And get sued to the high heavens in the process. 

6 minutes ago, DT said:

No  The IHSAA can however say, "Me Spegal, your son cannot transfer and play varsity football at New Pal because this will have a long term deleterious impact on the HHC and upset the natural order of competitive balance within the conference."

No, it's not.

4 minutes ago, DT said:

It was the Roncalli people who picked up arms to defend all PPs schools during the  5 Year PP-Public War   2004-2009      Roncalli, like its brothers Chatard and Cathedral and Luers and Dwenger have all had their periods of extended, sustained dominance.  While not quite as decorated in championship hardware as some of its brethren, RHS was indeed the posterboy for PP hegemony during this period.

Doesn’t change the fact that your premise was dead wrong.

The SF had nothing to do with breaking up Roncalli’s so-called “Hegemony”.  During the 7 or so years prior to the institutionalization of the SF, they were barely over .500 and hadn’t made it out Sectional.

But don’t let facts get in the way....

7 minutes ago, DT said:

And tyrants...

18 minutes ago, DT said:

But what does that have to do with SF impacting Roncalli? Their reign of dominance surely didn't end because they were getting bumped up year after year. Wrong P/P.

1 minute ago, Lysander said:

Doesn’t change the fact that your premise was dead wrong.

The SF had nothing to do with breaking up Roncalli’s so-called “Hegemony”.  During the 7 or so years prior to the institutionalization of the SF, they were barely over .500 and hadn’t made it out Sectional.

But don’t let facts get in the way....

Roncalli slipped.  They stopped playing Cathedral because they couldnt compete during this period.  That is all on RHS.  They still have not fully recovered.  However, from the late 90s into the early 2000s, thay were a juggernaut.  

9 minutes ago, DT said:

Roncalli slipped.  They stopped playing Cathedral because they couldnt compete during this period.  That is all on RHS.  They still have not fully recovered.  However, from the late 90s into the early 2000s, thay were a juggernaut.  

But that has nothing to do with the SF, which is what you said initially. 

9 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

What is the role exactly of the IHSAA then?

Certainly not restricting transfers stemming from parents moving into different school districts, especially in a different area code.

Edited by Footballking16

3 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

What is the role exactly of the IHSAA then?

"The purpose of the IHSAA is to encourage and direct wholesome amateur athletics in the high schools of Indiana. In keeping with this mission, the Association: Regulates, supervises and administers interschool athletic activities among its member high schools as an integral part of the secondary education program."

Edited by gonzoron
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

The purpose of the IHSAA is to encourage and direct wholesome amateur athletics in the high schools of Indiana. In keeping with this mission, the Association: Regulates, supervises and administers interschool athletic activities among its member high schools as an integral part of the secondary education program.

Thank you.

With that mission statement one wonders why the IHSAA sticks it's nose into athletic transfers in the first place.  After all are not all athletic transfers for wholesome, altruistic reasons?

4 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

But that has nothing to do with the SF, which is what you said initially. 

Certainly not restricting transfers stemming from parents moving into different school districts, especially in a different area code.

With the advent of cell phones and worldwide coverage your "area code" point is specious at best.   

Edited by Muda69

9 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

"The purpose of the IHSAA is to encourage and direct wholesome amateur athletics in the high schools of Indiana. In keeping with this mission, the Association: Regulates, supervises and administers interschool athletic activities among its member high schools as an integral part of the secondary education program."

And more importantly

11. Transfer and Initial Promotion Eligibility (Rule 19).

You have: a. Not transferred from your prior school to your current school for Primarily Athletic Reasons, or,

b. Enrolled at your current school for the first time as a 9th grader, or,

c. Transferred from your prior school to your current school:

And at the same time you and your parents made a bona fide move to a New District or Territory, or,  Because you became a ward of the court, or,

 Because you became an orphan, or,

 Because your prior school closed, or,

 And your prior school was not a member of the local state athletic association or was not accredited by the local state accrediting agency, or,

 Because of a school board mandate for redistricting which involved your prior school, or,  Because you enrolled or attended, in error, a wrong school, or,

 And you transferred from a correctional school to your current school, or,

 Because you are emancipated and you have now moved to a New District or Territory, or,

 And you did not participate in a contest for another school or for a club team during the preceding 365 days, or,

 And your prior school was not a member of the local state athletic association and you have moved back to reside with the same parent or guardian, or,

 And the transfer is either to or from a Boarding School, or,

 And you are a qualified Foreign Exchange Student under an approved CSIET program for one year, or,

 And at the same time your parent or guardian just took a licensed or certified position at your current school, 

10 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

With the advent of cell phones and worldwide coverage your "area code" point is specious at best. 

My point is well taken.

Mr. Spegal didn't move his family 10 miles down the road to compete in a rival school district. He moved his family more than an hour away in a completely different city. 

• Like 1

I see the rules lawyers are coming out in force now.

I wonder if any parent at any time in history actually moved his family to a different government school district for high school athletic reasons?    Surely that could never happen?

3 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Mr. Spegal didn't move his family 10 miles down the road to compete in a rival school district. He moved his family more than an hour away in a completely different city. 

Why didn't they just enroll young Mr. Spegal at Cathedral and be done with it?