Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Is the end coming for Harbaugh at Michigan?

Guest DT

https://thespun.com/big-ten/michigan-wolverines/jim-harbaugh-contract-buyout-situation-michigan-state-loss

I watched parts of the game against rival MSU yesterday.  Harbaugh's Wolverines did not look good and certainly did not look like an elite Big Ten football team, here in year 6 of Harbaugh's 7 year contract.

The 27-24 loss at home to Sparty had a feeling of finality to it relative to the Harbaugh Era at UM.  

The gulf between Michigan and Ohio State is getting wider, and others are trying to squeeze in, including our own Indiana Hoosiers.

IU has another chance to take a monumental step forward this week when they host this reeling Michigan team.  Indiana may be catching UM at just the most opportune moment.

As far as the future of the Michigan program post Harbaugh, there is only one name that jumps to the top of the list in terms of coaches who can return the Wolves to the top of the heap

Urban Meyer

At $10M per year, ( Harbaugh is getting $7M) Meyer would be enticed to take on this challenge.

Edited by DT

I do think this is the end of the road for Harbaugh. It’s not just the loss to MSU, or just the losses to OSU; his record in rivalry games is not good. The issue with Meyer is longevity....that and he is an Ohio native. I don’t see him getting another coaching job. One name to keep am eye on though is in Ohio......Luke Fickell. 

16 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I do think this is the end of the road for Harbaugh. It’s not just the loss to MSU, or just the losses to OSU; his record in rivalry games is not good. The issue with Meyer is longevity....that and he is an Ohio native. I don’t see him getting another coaching job. One name to keep am eye on though is in Ohio......Luke Fickell. 

The key to a UM revival is southeast recruiting.  Meyer went into the SEC recruiting country and built the current Ohio State roster with SEC type players.  Tom Allen is following that blueprint at IU, to a lesser extent.  Many of the impact players for Indiana are from Florida and  Georgia and throughout the southeast.  Meyer still has huge name recognition and he would instantly change Michigans recruiting focus and mirror his OSU strategy.  

Yes, Meyer is an Ohio boy.  But I think he is more loyal to the dollar than he is to his home state.

Fickell is having great success at UC but Im not sure Michigan is ready to go for a relatively unknown.  

1 hour ago, wvigo13 said:

Urban Meyer may return to coaching in the future but it won't be at Michigan. I think a name to keep an eye on is Bob Stoops. He just got back into coaching in the XFL. He may be looking for a comeback to college football.

Stoops very good coach.

Meyer great - elite coach.

4 hours ago, DT said:

The key to a UM revival is southeast recruiting.  Meyer went into the SEC recruiting country and built the current Ohio State roster with SEC type players.  Tom Allen is following that blueprint at IU, to a lesser extent.  Many of the impact players for Indiana are from Florida and  Georgia and throughout the southeast.  Meyer still has huge name recognition and he would instantly change Michigans recruiting focus and mirror his OSU strategy.  

Yes, Meyer is an Ohio boy.  But I think he is more loyal to the dollar than he is to his home state.

Fickell is having great success at UC but Im not sure Michigan is ready to go for a relatively unknown.  

Are there any potential candidates out there who are “Michigan Men?” After all, wasn’t that the primary criterion when they hired Harbaugh? 

How’d that work out for you? 😂🤣

5 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

No way Meyer OR Fickell would take the Michigan job.   Being from Ohio State and going to Michigan would be like becoming the Benedict Arnold of college football.  Not happening.  But I do agree that Harbaugh is finished especially if he loses to IU.

Meyer loves a challenge. Many coaches have been on both staffs over the years.  Wasnt Bo on Woodys staff?

4 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Meyer is going to Texas or USC. No chance he entertains the Michigan job just as Michigan has no interest.

Thank you for that definitive statement on the subject.   It must be true.  

The Michigan job is bigger and better than both USC and Texas.  

The PAc 12 is dying and the Big 12 is a joke

Meyer knows this

He knows the best football is played in the SEC and the B10

Edited by DT

1 hour ago, DT said:

Meyer knows this

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

It’s not though.

I agree with you, @Footballking16 ... if you’re including the NFL. Otherwise, no. The ACC is good this year. But most years it’s a step below, in terms of quality depth.

2 hours ago, DT said:

Meyer knows this

Texas is a sleeping giant unlimited resources, fertile recruiting ground, easy path to the playoffs. I can Meyer or saban going there for one last challenge.

1 hour ago, Whiting89 said:

Texas is a sleeping giant unlimited resources, fertile recruiting ground, easy path to the playoffs. I can Meyer or saban going there for one last challenge.

I really dislike the style of play in Texas.  Its basically 7 on 7 with the linemen standing around and watching.  No defense   QBs throw 50 to 60 passes per game.  Offenses are stacked with talent and the lesser athletes play defense.  I would think that coaches like Saban and Meyer would not be attracted to this style of play.  And these kids are learning this style at the pee wee bantam level, so by the time they finish high school, its all they know.  

The SEC is the closest you will get to NFL football at the college level.  Why would Saban and Meyer want to downgrade to a lower level of play in the Pac 12 or the Big 12.  Ohio State is basically an SEC team.  Meyer would turn Michigan into one in 3 years.  Personally, Id love to see it.  I want to go back to the days when the OSU-Mich game meant everything relative to the Big Ten and the national rankings.  

Michigan is still #1 All Time in total wins      http://www.winsipedia.com/ranking/all-time-wins

It will take Ohio State another 18 to 20 years to pass the Wolverines on the all time chart.

I believe Meyer is the only coach in the country who could quickly reverse UM fortunes and return the program to the top.

11 hours ago, DT said:

I really dislike the style of play in Texas.  Its basically 7 on 7 with the linemen standing around and watching.  No defense   QBs throw 50 to 60 passes per game.  Offenses are stacked with talent and the lesser athletes play defense.  I would think that coaches like Saban and Meyer would not be attracted to this style of play.  And these kids are learning this style at the pee wee bantam level, so by the time they finish high school, its all they know.  

The SEC is the closest you will get to NFL football at the college level.  Why would Saban and Meyer want to downgrade to a lower level of play in the Pac 12 or the Big 12.  Ohio State is basically an SEC team.  Meyer would turn Michigan into one in 3 years.  Personally, Id love to see it.  I want to go back to the days when the OSU-Mich game meant everything relative to the Big Ten and the national rankings.  

Michigan is still #1 All Time in total wins      http://www.winsipedia.com/ranking/all-time-wins

It will take Ohio State another 18 to 20 years to pass the Wolverines on the all time chart.

I believe Meyer is the only coach in the country who could quickly reverse UM fortunes and return the program to the top.

Don't disagree with you at all. But, it's Texas. Even more reason an offensive mind like Meyer could love it there. He would have a field day on Big 12 defenses, an easy path to CFP berths, and be part of an environment that idolizes their college football team. The same could be said for USC, which is were I would predict he ends up. I can't see him flirting with the NFL. 

I think Michigan would be wise to go after Matt Campbell. They need someone who is proven and can come in and immediately compete.

11 hours ago, DT said:

Michigan has 1 national title since 1948. Texas and USC are both sleeping giants strictly based on their proximity to recruiting hot beds. Michigan is still a good job but not near the job of Texas or USC.

Saturday, Urban wouldn't even say Michigan's name on the Fox half time report. He hates Michigan as much as Michigan hates him. Urban wouldn't go to Michigan strictly on principle. 

14 hours ago, Bobref said:

I agree with you, @Footballking16 ... if you’re including the NFL. Otherwise, no. The ACC is good this year. But most years it’s a step below, in terms of quality depth.

I don't see Urban as an NFL coach. I don't think his offense translates to that level.

I see one of 3 things happening in regards to Urban's future.

1) staying on as an analyst with Fox. His health problems are noted and he doesn't need any more money

2) Taking the job at Texas or USC. Herman bought himself another game with Saturday's win but will be gone here by the end of the year. This makes most sense out of the two, but either USC or Texas would be back to national title contenders sooner than later.

3) Hired back on at Ohio State. Ryan Day is quickly becoming a hot NFL commodity. Re-hiring Urban becomes a no brainer. 

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

I don't see Urban as an NFL coach. I don't think his offense translates to that level.

I see one of 3 things happening in regards to Urban's future.

1) staying on as an analyst with Fox. His health problems are noted and he doesn't need any more money

2) Taking the job at Texas or USC. Herman bought himself another game with Saturday's win but will be gone here by the end of the year. This makes most sense out of the two, but either USC or Texas would be back to national title contenders sooner than later.

3) Hired back on at Ohio State. Ryan Day is quickly becoming a hot NFL commodity. Re-hiring Urban becomes a no brainer. 

Interesting option.  I always thougfht Urban Meyer (UM, hmmmm, interesting)  would wind up at his dream job in South Bend.  Brian Kelly is making that a near impossibility.

I dont see USC or Texas competing with the SEC titans or Ohio State any time in the near future.  Oklahoma is in that class and they have not faired well in the playoff.  

12 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

That's because Urban Meyer isn't coaching USC, Texas, or Oklahoma. 

Those jobs are not what they used to be.

College football is losing popularity in the western US and Texas plays its own unique regional style of ball that puts it at a disadvantage against the NFL style play of the SEC and the BIG Ten, and the ACC to a lesser extent.  Elite coaches know this.  Mike Leach just left a cushy job at Washington State to become SEC cannon fodder at Miss State.  Lane Kiffin and Steve Sarkisian left the bright lights of LA behind to work for Saban at Alabama.  Chip Kelly was exposed as a fraud with the Eagles and went back with his tail between his legs to the PAC 12 at UCLA.  Mel Tucker bailed on Colorado after one year to coach the MSU Spartans.  Oregon will likely lose Mario Cristobal to a big time eastern college power or to the NFL, further weakening the western coaching ranks.

Edited by DT