Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2A South Semi-State: Evansville Mater Dei vs. Western Boone

My initial thought is I hope the weather is nothing like the last time MD came to Webo field back in 1997...  Temps in low 20's, 20+ mph winds, blowing across the field... BITTER cold.🥶 

For those of us who will not be able to get a ticket to the games, does Webo typically have a live stream available for home games? 

44 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

My initial thought is I hope the weather is nothing like the last time MD came to Webo field back in 1997...  Temps in low 20's, 20+ mph winds, blowing across the field... BITTER cold.🥶 

For those of us who will not be able to get a ticket to the games, does Webo typically have a live stream available for home games? 

Yes, we live stream.  I am sure it will be via IHSAATV.org.  Webo TV has a Youtube channel also which is where we have broadcast from in the past

Evansville Mater Dei (9-4) at Western Boone (9-4)
GAME TIME: 7:30 pm ET, Western Boone.
COACHES: Mike Goebel, 236-75 in 24th year at Mater Dei. Justin Pelley, 76-24 in 8th year at Western Boone.
SAGARIN RATINGS: Mater Dei, 69.67, 61st overall, 3rd in 2A. Western Boone, 62.62, 88th overall, 8th in 2A.
LAST OUTING: Mater Dei defeated Triton Central, 16-6. Western Boone defeated Heritage Christian, 42-27.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: Mater Dei 75-65. Western Boone 69-63.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: Western Boone, 2-0
LAST MEETING: Western Boone, 28-21, Nov. 13, 1998, regional.
jh PREDICTION: Mater Dei, 31-17.

MD is now the favorite to win state

Sagarin & Harrel's both had Heritage Christian as the favorite over WeBo and that did not turn out so well.  While it is nice to be favored, MD will have to earn this on the field.  I tried to view some of the film from last night's game btwn WeBo & HR but internet is wonky today.   WeBo stats show a strong running game and stout D.  MD will certainly have it's hands full this week. I will wait a few days to see likely weather & game time before concocting some Wildcat Homer-ish argument to justify why I think MD will win.  Fingers crossed, rabbit's foot in hand...

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

Sagarin & Harrel's both had Heritage Christian as the favorite over WeBo and that did not turn out so well.  While it is nice to be favored, MD will have to earn this on the field.  I tried to view some of the film from last night's game btwn WeBo & HR but internet is wonky today.   WeBo stats show a strong running game and stout D.  MD will certainly have it's hands full this week. I will wait a few days to see likely weather & game time before concocting some Wildcat Homer-ish argument to justify why I think MD will win.  Fingers crossed, rabbit's foot in hand...

Friday Night @ 7:30 eastern.  Looks like really good weather (60ish as a high)  safe travels to the MD faithful making the trip

19 minutes ago, 1st_and_10 said:

Friday Night @ 7:30 eastern.  Looks like really good weather (60ish as a high)  safe travels to the MD faithful making the trip

Thanks for info.  Looks like weather will not have an affect on either team, which is preferable.  Let both teams play their game and see what happens.  Curious, do you still play on grass?      I watched the 2nd half of last night's game and you simply wore out the HC Defense.  They had no real solution for your running game and looked gassed mid-3rd qtr. 

Webo reminds me of local Sectional 40 nemesis. Southridge.  Strong running game with timely passing and strong D.  Few mistakes; TOs, penalties, etc.  

Edited by MDAlum82

4 minutes ago, tango said:

On radio this morning Coach Goebel was discussing start time and said if Saturday game Webo said noon.  It sounded Then like Coach was leaning Friday, and that's obviously when it will be.  Good luck to the Wildcats. 

If true and home teams are allowed to pull this crap regarding naming these early start times for Saturday games, then the IHSAA needs to intervene.  

It’s total BS.  None of these long distance Saturday games should ever be before 3:00 unless both schools agree.  

It should already be enough that the home team is...well.....at home.

Makes me think this whole neutral site thing for Regionals and Semistates might be the way to go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Lysander said:

If true and home teams are allowed to pull this crap regarding naming these early start times for Saturday games, then the IHSAA needs to intervene.  

It’s total BS.  None of these long distance Saturday games should ever be before 3:00 unless both schools agree.  

Makes me think this whole neutral site thing for Regionals and Semistates might be the way to go.

In my opinion, this is an element of "gamesmanship" the game would be better off without.  As long as it is allowed, or at east not prohibited, coaches will use it to their advantage.  However, until someone at the IHSA grows pair and takes a stand on issues like this, they will not go away. 

Putting Regionals & Semi-State games at neutral sites is the next big step the IHSAA needs to take to improve the tournament.  This is where the travel times are the greatest and thus, the safety of the players travelling is of most concern - or should be.  Every team "earns" their way to these games and can thus lay claim to the right to host.  Neutral sites at reasonable start times for both team would be an improvement.

23 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

In my opinion, this is an element of "gamesmanship" the game would be better off without.  As long as it is allowed, or at east not prohibited, coaches will use it to their advantage.  However, until someone at the IHSA grows pair and takes a stand on issues like this, they will not go away. 

Putting Regionals & Semi-State games at neutral sites is the next big step the IHSAA needs to take to improve the tournament.  This is where the travel times are the greatest and thus, the safety of the players travelling is of most concern - or should be.  Every team "earns" their way to these games and can thus lay claim to the right to host.  Neutral sites at reasonable start times for both team would be an improvement.

Just to be clear, I am not asserting any poor sportsmanship on behalf of WeBo here.  The rules are the rules.  Friday night @730  is as good as any day/time, just happy to be playing one more week of football at this pt.

47 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

Totally agree.  When Chatard had to travel to GS some years back they didn’t make it a Noon game.  When both GS and Memorial came up to Indy on Saturdays these were late games (sorry about the crappy weather, though, GS).

Teams work too hard to get there for home teams to pull this crap (and I DO think it’s unsportsmanlike.....not that I have any business being the judge).  

It’s not as if the home team “earned” being home....they’re only at home because of a ping pong ball.

Edited by Lysander

2 hours ago, Lysander said:

I know that there is a Girls BBall tournament this coming weekend which may be why Webo asked for a 1:00 pm Eastern Time (Noon Central).  We played Southridge 2 years ago at Semi State at the same time I believe.  I wont pretend to have any other insight as to what the coaches/ADs have discussed.

I dont believe there is any intent of “gamesmanship” or trying to be “unsportsman like”.  

Edited by 1st_and_10
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tango said:

When Lawrenceburg played at Memorial on Saturday in 2017 Regional the start was 5pm EST.  When we played Danville the following week at their place on Saturday for Semi-State it was a 5pm start.  It isn’t a hard concept.  

Again, there are other sports going on at the school.  Rescheduling a 4 team basketball tournament would be a little more complex than trying to find a day/time that works for everyone for this game.  Thats all this is... I am sure no matter the day/time someone wouldnt be happy.  I would assume thats why Webo asked for an early afternoon start on a Saturday because of the basketball tourney.  Its my understanding the visiting team requests the day and they work together for the time.... 

Edited by 1st_and_10

5 hours ago, 1st_and_10 said:

I know that there is a Girls BBall tournament this coming weekend which may be why Webo asked for a 1:00 pm Eastern Time (Noon Central).  We played Southridge 2 years ago at Semi State at the same time I believe.  I wont pretend to have any other insight as to what the coaches/ADs have discussed.

I dont believe there is any intent of “gamesmanship” or trying to be “unsportsman like”.  

An AWAY girls tournament at Southmont?  That would be a flimsy reason, IMO.  

http://scoreboard.homestead.com/girls/tnySugarCreek.htm#loaded

I stand correct on MD though. I didn't realize they set a 10:00 AM start time in the past with Brownstown, so I don't think they have any room to talk. 

Count me in the camp for Saturday neutral site doubleheaders.  Especially now that the state won't set Friday/Saturdays at LOS until they see the teams.  Playing Saturday would put MD/WeBo at a day disadvantage anyway against the Luers/Pioneer game that would be Friday night.  

To be clear, I’m not declaring any team an innocent or a sinner (seems teams have both been both victim and victimizer) as regards this sort of thing.....I’m just saying it shouldn’t be permitted to happen.  

There should be a default game time of 3:00 pm or later on a Saturday playoff that has been rescheduled from Friday due to prohibitive travel/distance unless BOTH teams agree with an earlier game time.  

Easy peasy for the IHSAA to do it if folks can’t be sensible themselves.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MDAlum82 said:

I agree on neutral sites for SS.  Seems like they could either just settle on what those sites are in advance or roughly split the difference between the teams playing once that’s determined.

Is there a downside to this?  A long trip like that is absolutely a disadvantage for whichever team has to make it.

11 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

I agree on neutral sites for SS.  Seems like they could either just settle on what those sites are in advance or roughly split the difference between the teams playing once that’s determined.

I don’t think you can wait until the week of- just too many variables. With WB/MD, are you going to call up one of the TH schools, a Bloomington school, or maybe Jasper? 

Those schools put up their goalpost pads, down markers, locked up the concession stands and locker rooms 3 weeks ago. They have moved on to basketball.

But if it’s set ahead time, for example it was set in summer that Bloomington North would host a semi - state, imagine a MD/WeBo game at 1:00 pm and Castle/Cathedral at 5pm. (In a non COVID year of course.)

If BHSN happens to advance to semi state - well that would be no different than what we have now with Castle hosting the 5A south. 

50 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

An AWAY girls tournament at Southmont?  That would be a flimsy reason, IMO.  

http://scoreboard.homestead.com/girls/tnySugarCreek.htm#loaded

I stand correct on MD though. I didn't realize they set a 10:00 AM start time in the past with Brownstown, so I don't think they have any room to talk. 

Count me in the camp for Saturday neutral site doubleheaders.  Especially now that the state won't set Friday/Saturdays at LOS until they see the teams.  Playing Saturday would put MD/WeBo at a day disadvantage anyway against the Luers/Pioneer game that would be Friday night.  

If this was just 1 girls bball game, I think it would probably be rescheduled.  But its a tournament and I am sure our Athletic Dept would find it difficult to be at both and I am sure our student athletes would like to be at both.  Again, I wont pretend to know everything that goes on during these conversations.  

28 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

Is there a downside to this?  A long trip like that is absolutely a disadvantage for whichever team has to make it.

Im not against Neutral sites, except I think it takes away money from the schools/towns that are still in the tournament (concessions/restaurants, etc. would assume gate fees to be split anyway?)... They do this for basketball (neutral sites).... This comes up every year (almost as much as DT wanting P/P bumped).  Its not like Webo (or any hosting school) did anything special or cheated to get home field at Regionals or Semi State.  Its the luck of the draw and the way the brackets played out.  Webo had been on the Road for 3/4 current playoff games now.  It sucks that MD has a 3 hour drive on a Friday afternoon.  They could have had the same drive Saturday morning but chose Friday instead afternoon.

9 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

I don’t think you can wait until the week of- just too many variables. With WB/MD, are you going to call up one of the TH schools, a Bloomington school, or maybe Jasper? 

Those schools put up their goalpost pads, down markers, locked up the concession stands and locker rooms 3 weeks ago. They have moved on to basketball.

But if it’s set ahead time, for example it was set in summer that Bloomington North would host a semi - state, imagine a MD/WeBo game at 1:00 pm and Castle/Cathedral at 5pm. (In a non COVID year of course.)

If BHSN happens to advance to semi state - well that would be no different than what we have now with Castle hosting the 5A south. 

Good points.... Basketball has Locations already selected.... Why not Football?  

Edited by 1st_and_10