Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

AAAA State Championship - Hobart v. Roncalli

Hobart Brickies (11-2)

Sagarin 75.63, 6th in 4A

OA: 38.7  DA:10.2

12th state title game appearance, first in 24 years (1996).

Roncalli Rebels (12-1)

94.18, 1st 4A

OA: 41.3   DA: 16.3

13th appearance, first in 4 years.

Gimme Roncalli big. Hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think the Bricks stand a chance. Maybe that can channel some 2005 Lowell magic.

Thoughts? Analysis? Predictions?

Both have past finals history. Brickie fans are still hoping the ghost of Don Howell is roaming the sidelines. But in this case Sagarin is being too kind on Hobart. Unless that Howell magic is real I expect Roncalli to do what they’ve done the last 2 weeks...... get up big early and step on their throat. 
Rebels   38

Brickies 13

It is good to see Hobart back playing for a title.   Good luck on Friday and hope for an injury free game. 

If you look at the 16 champs and this team, you will see a common theme for the Roncalli teams:  great OL play.

i think this OL may be better and looks bigger.  They all come back next year and they pick up a 6’5” 300lb fella who started as a SO and hurt his knee against Chatard.  

Watched the Hobart semistate game.  Not sure they can handle Roncalli up front.  

• Like 1

After watching film, Hobart’s Sagarin ranking is not indicative of their ability. Not only are they a very talented team, they play with a sense of urgency that few of our opponents have displayed. It’s clear that these kids want to bring back the program’s glory. I predict this game will be a war. 

• Thanks 1

I place very little stock in Sagarin.  Do his models reflect heart, desire, questionable calls, and weather (although that’s not a factor this time).  That would be a no.  There are so many elements computer models are blind to, suit up and play.

There’s your data, the final score.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, The TW said:

After watching film, Hobart’s Sagarin ranking is not indicative of their ability. Not only are they a very talented team, they play with a sense of urgency that few of our opponents have displayed. It’s clear that these kids want to bring back the program’s glory. I predict this game will be a war. 

Time for some honesty: 

IMO, Hobart had a much stronger team last year, and this year's road through the North was essentially a joke (not their fault,  the SF makes it what it is).  They only had one tight game, and the opponent was without their stud RB. This is THE senior class Hobart has been banking on to get them back to the title game. Congrats on getting there, which is a huge accomplishment, but this game will not be close.  42-7 Roncalli. 

Edited by vito

The NCC is a good league at the Brickies rep them well.  They did go down to Merrillville earlier in the season and they’re Sectional final game against Lowell was nowhere close to the bloodbath everybody and their mother (notwithstanding yours truly) was expecting.  I do like the Bricks’ chances, though.

3 minutes ago, Gipper said:

The NCC is a good league at the Brickies rep them well.  They did go down to Merrillville earlier in the season and they’re Sectional final game against Lowell was nowhere close to the bloodbath everybody and their mother (notwithstanding yours truly) was expecting.  I do like the Bricks’ chances, though.

The NCC has become a 3 team league (Andrean, Hobart, Lowell). KV was decent at the beginning, but faded after the tough loss to Lowell.  Hobart didn't face a challenge in the regular season after week 5.  They would be better served playing Andrean and Lowell later in their conference slate.  Playing two 6A's to start the season is fantastic, but there's no meat on the bone at the end. 

13 minutes ago, vito said:

Time for some honesty: 

IMO, Hobart had a much stronger team last year, and this year's road through the North was essentially a joke (not their fault,  the SF makes it what it is).  They only had one tight game, and the opponent was without their stud RB. This is THE senior class Hobart has been banking on to get them back to the title game. Congrats on getting there, which is a huge accomplishment, but this game will not be close.  42-7 Roncalli. 

Congrats to the Brickies on making their long-awaited return to the state finals. Unfortunately, I agree with everything said here. Roncalli has throttled two teams I think are better than Hobart in the past two weeks. It’s hard not to think that this game will go similarly. Hobart’s defense is excellent but their offense won’t be able to keep them in the game. I think it’ll be a little closer thanks to that stout Brickie defense, but I’ll go 28-7 Roncalli.

6 minutes ago, vito said:

The NCC has become a 3 team league (Andrean, Hobart, Lowell). KV was decent at the beginning, but faded after the tough loss to Lowell.  Hobart didn't face a challenge in the regular season after week 5.  They would be better served playing Andrean and Lowell later in their conference slate.  Playing two 6A's to start the season is fantastic, but there's no meat on the bone at the end. 

I do agree that the NCC is a there-headed monster, but this game ranks a lot higher than playing Andrean on a Friday fall night.  This the State Finals and think Hobart will find another gear to keep the game close.  Will they win?  Not sure on that one, but I will not surmise a blowout.

2 hours ago, vito said:

Time for some honesty: 

Jealousy -- it's an ugly thing. BRICKS DON'T BREAK!

I just watched HUDL film of Hobart's DE Bobby Babcock who is headed to Illinois State.  Without doubt the best DE I have seen all year.   This guy is quick as a cat and strong as an OX.   Sending a note to Tom Allen - IU needs this kid!    Looking at the rest of the Hobart Team I can see why they are playing on Friday.   I think this game is going to be much closer than anyone thinks.   If you are playing on Friday or Saturday this weekend, you can walk out with a victory.    Last time Roncalli played a "Region School" the outcome was not so good.  (and the block in the back on the kickoff return late in the game was a bad call!).  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Brickie Rickie said:

Jealousy -- it's an ugly thing. BRICKS DON'T BREAK!

I am certainly not rooting against the Brickies, and would be happy to eat crow on here Saturday morning.  But, they are not going to be able to pound the rock like they did last week, and stopping the Rebel run game is no small task.  Offensively, they are going to have to find ways to get Vode the ball in space - jets, bubble screens, etc. He's an absolute stud IMO, but I do not see the fade jump balls working against a good/prepared defense. The Brickies are going to have to put up at least 28 pts on Roncalli to have a chance.  Throw in the fact Roncalli will be sleeping in their own beds, have faced a much tougher road to LOS, and I presume some of their coaches were on staff in 2016 and know how to keep kids' emotions in check this week,  a 28-35 point margin of victory is reasonable.  Still going 42-7 Rebels. 

15 hours ago, Grandpa B said:

(and the block in the back on the kickoff return late in the game was a bad call!).  

MAY have been a suspect call 🙂 

But, what a story:  First time finalist in Lowell (coming in with 4 losses) knocking off the defending 3 time champs.   Great stuff. 

10 minutes ago, vito said:

I am certainly not rooting against the Brickies, and would be happy to eat crow on here Saturday morning.  But, they are not going to be able to pound the rock like they did last week, and stopping the Rebel run game is no small task.  Offensively, they are going to have to find ways to get Vode the ball in space - jets, bubble screens, etc. He's an absolute stud IMO, but I do not see the fade jump balls working against a good/prepared defense. The Brickies are going to have to put up at least 28 pts on Roncalli to have a chance.  Throw in the fact Roncalli will be sleeping in their own beds, have faced a much tougher road to LOS, and I presume some of their coaches were on staff in 2016 and know how to keep kids' emotions in check this week,  a 28-35 point margin of victory is reasonable.  Still going 42-7 Rebels. 

Rodenberg at Roncalli has won 2 Ohio State Championships (Moeller) and 1 Kentucky State Championship (Covington Catholic)  so I am taking it as a given that he will know how to deal with the kid’s emotions.

BTW, is anyone aware of another coach that has done something like this in multiple states?

1 hour ago, vito said:

MAY have been a suspect call 🙂 

But, what a story:  First time finalist in Lowell (coming in with 4 losses) knocking off the defending 3 time champs.   Great stuff. 

May have been a suspect call?    Not sure I  buy into the "great stuff".   My oldest son was on that team and was the receipient of the  Phil N. Eskew Mental Attitude Award after the game.  That was a tough loss, but life is about wins and losses.   That game against Lowell has certainly grounded me in the belief that any team playing in the State Championship can come out the winner.  My youngest son is the Offensive Coordinator for Roncalli and will be calling the plays on Friday.  Might be more anxious for him calling the plays than when he was actually playing.   I think it will be a great game, and having Hobart back in the State Finals is awesome.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, oldtimeqb said:

Great call on the ineligible downfield.

In this RPO happy world, I wish every crew could pick up on those. 

Makes me wonder if the “ineligible downfield” has been a priority this year for officials.  I’ve seen more of those called this year than the last 5 years combined.