Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Merrillville’s JoJo Johnson commits to Notre Dame

I saw this kid play 3 times this season. Quite an athlete, he’s slated to play corner in college. Also an early enrollee.

https://247sports.com/college/notre-dame/Article/JoJo-Johnson-Commitment-to-Notre-Dame-Football-Fighting-Irish-Cornerback--155260656/

BREAKING: Cornerback JoJo Johnson Commits to Notre Dame

ByTOM LOY 

Notre Dame continues to add quality athletes to its 2021 recruiting class, as one of the more talented two-way prospects from the midwest committed to playing ball in South Bend with the Fighting Irish today. Notre Dame has added a commitment from Merrillville (Ind.) high school three-star cornerback JoJo Johnson , who wasted no time jumping on the scholarship offer he received from the Irish coaching staff late Sunday night.

The 5-11, 180-pounder has been high on Notre Dame for a very long time, so it's no shocker to see him joining the class after receiving the good news from cornerbacks coach Mike Mickens and recruiting coordinator / special teams coordinator Brian Polian over the weekend. Johnson chose Notre Dame over scholarship offers from Cincinnati, Iowa, Michigan State, Purdue and others. Both Irish Illustrated insider Tom Loy and 247Sports National Director of Recruiting Steve Wiltfong tossed in 247Sports Crystal Ball predictions for Notre Dame as soon as Johnson landed the coveted offer.

“Coach Mickens was recruiting me from Cincinnati. When he left, he stayed in touch with me for a while. One day he told me they were going to start recruiting me and that coach Brian Kelly really liked me,” said Johnson after landing the offer from Notre Dame. “[Sunday], coach Polian and coach Mickens and I were on a Zoom meeting. We were talking about the school and stuff about it. Then, at the end, we were talking and they said they wanted to offer me.

“It feels amazing,” he added of the Notre Dame offer. “They are a top school in the country. I’ve been working hard for this one.”

With his decision finally behind him, Johnson will finish up high school over the next few weeks, sign early in December, and then enroll early at Notre Dame in January. He's beyond fired up to join the Fighting Irish class and is looking forward to his future.

“It felt great, putting all the hard working in, going to a lot of camps, and I’ve been to Notre Dame a lot. It feels great,” Johnson said to Wiltfong Sunday night.

On the field, Johnson had 44 catches for 810 yards and 9 scores this year. He also had 152 rushing yards and 3 scores on 11 carries. 247Sports ranks him as the No. 48 athlete in America this class and No. 15 recruit in Indiana.

For this commitment, Mickens is credited as the lead recruiter for Johnson, as the two have had a connection going way back to when Johnson was initially recruited by and committed to Cincinnati. The secondary recruiter is Polian.