Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The real winner......

Quite a few on this forum thought we wouldn’t get to this weekend with HS foootball. I was optimistic  but had my doubts. 95% of scheduled high school games in Indiana were played. 

We still don’t know all the answers for this pandemic, but congratulations to every member school, coaches, staff and players on staying disciplined and being a valuable source of entertainment in your communities. 
Let’s hope 2021 is closer to normal(whatever that will be) and we are all in the stands cheering our student athletes. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

26 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

Quite a few on this forum thought we wouldn’t get to this weekend with HS foootball. I was optimistic  but had my doubts. 95% of scheduled high school games in Indiana were played. 

We still don’t know all the answers for this pandemic, but congratulations to every member school, coaches, staff and players on staying disciplined and being a valuable source of entertainment in your communities. 
Let’s hope 2021 is closer to normal(whatever that will be) and we are all in the stands cheering our student athletes. 

Spot on!  Given all the great doubt we heard here just a few short months ago, I began to have my doubts as well.  

Also kudos and congrats to the IHSAA and their leadership to make it work. 

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

Now let’s see what happens with basketball...

Same thing.  Will be fluid, just like FB.

At worst, I can see teams only allowing 2 people in per player.  

Onward and upward.

The best is yet to come.

• Like 1

Here, here! 

I will gladly toast the IHSAA leadership for the guts to see the fall sports season through.

I hope they have the same resolve for winter sports as well. My son has classmates who have spent weekends out of state for travel soccer and volleyball during the month of November. I would 100x rather support the education based model of IHSAA over club sports.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Here, here! 

I will gladly toast the IHSAA leadership for the guts to see the fall sports season through.

I hope they have the same resolve for winter sports as well. My son has classmates who have spent weekends out of state for travel soccer and volleyball during the month of November. I would 100x rather support the education based model of IHSAA over club sports.

Very well said OTQB.

We now have proof that the response by most in leadership positions is to completely overreact. Kudos to the IHSAA for letting the kids play. Now let them have their winter sports. And let’s get these kids back into schools. 

And lets all laugh at the poor fools in Illinois and Michigan in the process.  We would have had 100% of games played without useless quarantines of perfectly healthy kids too.  Players played the game and practiced against one another every day and there wasn't mass carnage.  Fans attended games (almost everywhere) and ambulances weren't needed to cart them out of the stadium.

On to football season of 2021 when this idiocy will be a distant memory. 

Thx to Iowa for showing the way last summer and for Holcomb / Box combo.  I’ve now heard from 2/3 school administrations in our co that as long as we have teachers to sit in class rooms we will not shut down.  Proud to be a Hoosier.  We’ll have crowned fall / winter champions and will be watching spring sports when Illinois decides “out of an abundance of caution” to scrap spring football.

I didn’t really start this thread to revive the Covid argument, but I have to admit I’ve come full circle. From believing this thing would run its course by fall to believing I will eventually get it unless I’m vaccinated. 

Basketball is certainly off to a rocky start, with Butler having to cancel most of their non-con schedule and NFL teams struggling to field a competitive roster (see Broncos without a QB) or being unable to practice or play at home (see 49ers and the overreaction in SF). I don’t know how high schools will deal with it but I am confident we will see high school basketball through March.

#marchmadnessinabubble  #IHSAAforthewin  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

Here, here! 

I guess it depends on what your kids' goals are... most club sports are their ticket to recruiting,  thus scholarships. 

Good topic...I do think the schools and teams, along with the IHSAA deserve credit. I was hopeful, yet not very optimistic we would get through this. And I admit I have the same feelings about basketball. I am hopeful but skeptical. As far as the comments critical of the quarantines and getting kids back in school....I will agree there could be some easy changes to how quarantines were handled; have a kid stay out a few days; if they test negative after that time, they can return. As far as getting the kids back; every educator understands completely that the best situation for kids is to be in school. But, that is only part of the equation. Our district has a number of teachers out from positive tests. The inability to find enough subs to cover those teachers was a driving force behind our being 100% virtual through this week. 

Back to the topic, congrats to all involved for getting through the full season. 

As a coach I have to say that I held my breath from July until last Saturday and now that I can actually breath and look at what the state and all the kids that play were able to accomplish. It feels good knowing we were able to set a standard for athletics in this state. I do hope it continues with the winter and spring sports as well. With everything going on this little bit of normal was great to have.

On 11/29/2020 at 7:09 AM, temptation said:

Yep.  Where’s @TheStatGuy?  He told us all summer how ridiculous the notion of playing high school football was and then doubled down telling us there’s no way the season finishes once it had started.

Rent is due.

He is pulling feathers from his teeth.