Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

HHF/GID Interview with Brownsburg Head Coach John Hart

Guest DT

Coach Hart has been a big winner at every step along the way of his 35 year coaching career.  A 6A state championship at Brownsburg is the next big target for Hart and his staff.

Hello Coach Hart, and thanks for joining us here at Hoosier High School Football and The Gridiron Digest

Question 1 :
First Coach, congratulations on your recent election to the Illinois High School Football Coaches  Association Hall of Fame.  As your career spans over 36 seasons, not many Indiana fans are aware of your accomplishments at Huntley, Edwards County and Mount Carmel, where you posted a stellar 152-56 record over 20 seasons.  How did it feel to receive that recognition from your Illinois peers, and what are some of your fondest recollections of coaching high school football in The Land of Lincoln?

Response
I could of just sent all the pictures of that night & answered all your questions. Having our family & friends their was by far the best “good feeling” part of the night. To go into the HOF with Darren (my asst @ MC) & one of my best friends (Dave Jacobs) made it even more special.
I still talk regularly with players & coaches from Edwards County, MC, Reitz, WC & Huntley. 

Question 2 :
Summer workouts have been in full swing as we approach the holiday break.  What are the primary areas of focus for your squad as you prepare for the upcoming season, and what areas need more work as you look to fine tune things before putting on the pads?

Response
This team graduated a lot, most times thats a bad thing, but we compete harder than any team we have had since we have been here. We will be tested in team camp & our schedule (one of the toughest in the state)

Question 3 : 
You have had some tremendous success on the Indiana side of the border as well, with state titles at Evansville Reitz and Warren Central.  Many assumed you would stay long term at both places and build dynasty programs, yet you chose to leave both for other opportunities.  What was the impetus to leave both Reitz and Warren, and in retrospect, did it ultimately turn out to be the right moves for you and your family?

Response
Great players @ all 3 places...I will miss a bunch!!
Reitz Paul Mcintosh (Mr Football) Ricky Crider (prob best RB I have ever seen) Nick Hart (along w Paul the best leader I have had) Zach Barrett
Warren Central Sheldon Day (most dominating player I have ever had) Shakir Bell (he was incredible) Derek Hart (he just always wanted the ball in the most critical times…great ones always want it then), the Gegner Family
Brownsburg Hunter Johnson & Bryce Kirtz are huge impactful players.
Every place we have been we wanted to have a culture of high expectations, high goals & total player development.  Every place we have been we increased the team GPA, we emphasized the off season (its why our kids get recruited) & we hired coaches who love the kids who play for us. 

Question 4 :
You had some great talent at both Reitz and Warren.  Who were some of the very top end players that you had the opportunity to coach, and do you feel that both programs were in better shape when you left than when you arrived?

Response
Every job I have ever had I believed it was my last job….then someone approaches you & says do you have interest? Competitive juices (& I love challenges) get flowing then momentum gets the best of me….all were hard to leave we have loved every place & school. The hardest was Mt. Carmel & Reitz…our kids grew up there. We believe we could have won several state championships if we had stayed @ either Reitz or WC. I’ve always enjoyed the journey much more than wearing the ring.

Question 5 :
What did you see in the Brownsburg opportunity when you made the change to come back to Indiana?  There were several good big school jobs open that year, and you decided to take over the Bulldog program.  What were the primary factors driving that decision? 

Response
Culture of excellence- Dr Snapp, Dr Daghe, & Kelli Waggoner (and now Drew Tower) had a vision of what we could build…they are incredible leaders that make everyone & everything they touch better. 

Question 6 :  
The HCC is a tremendous conference, generally regarded as #2 in Indiana behind only The MIC.  Schools continue to invest in their programs with improved coaching staffs, better facilities, generally more support in every possible way.  You had two teams playing for state championships last year in Zionsville and Westfield.  What is your assessment of the conference from top to bottom in terms of overall strength and balance, and what are your thoughts regarding the recent addition of Franklin Central to the league?

Response
HCC- The separation between the MIC &  HCC is really close. Programs, commitment, talent & vision of the 2 conferences are close. MIC teams have slightly more depth…programs who build it the right way don’t use one tool to evaluate growth & success. The 2 conferences will continue to get closer & closer.

Question 7 :
Coach, what are your basic philosophies and schemes offensively and defensively that have become your primary systems over the course of your career?  What changes systematically have you implemented over the past 5 to 10 years to maintain pace with the wide open offenses we generally see in The HCC every Friday night?

Response
O/D/ST- I believe we have the best coaching staff in the state. Casey Popenfoose is an incredible DC & track coach. JT Whitaker does a great job with our offense...ya gotta have a great O line coach (Josh Yoder) & we have the best special teams coach in the state in Dan Schwanekamp. I could list our entire staff...very talented group.

Question 8 :
We have seen a lot of coaching turnover over the past 5 years, with many long time Indiana coaches moving on to retirement.  There is an aggressive young group of coaches coming up now thru the ranks, and many are having great success, including your own son Nick Hart at Gibson Southern.  What trends and traits are you observing from these new young coaches, and how do you see them impacting the style , pace and flow of the game as it is being played today?  

Response
Huge impact...we either learn from them or we will become dinosaurs. Nick Saban is the best of all time & his greatest gift is he hires coaches who will challenge him & then he challenges them. Thats what we do here...we compete.

Question 9 :
Brownsburg continues to be blessed with great numbers and some nice high end talent.  College recruiters have become a fixture at your campus.  Who are some of your top kids now playing at the college level, and who are some of your current players who will be difference makers and game changers this coming season?

Response 
Northwestern- Kirtz & Johnson
IU- Sales
Kansas- Easters
Ball St- Marcus
Ohio- Middlebrook
SIU- Jackson
Murray St- Shupperd
Indiana St- Griffin
Numerous more @ Marian, Wabash, & U Indy & other places

Question 10 :
We are starting to see more transfer activity than usual, especially in the Indianapolis area.  The IHSAA keeps very close tabs on all transfers, yet they continue.  What are your thoughts on the current transfer rules, and are they having any impact on your program?

Response
 I believe "prior contact" rule would eliminate most illegitimate transfers. 

If you play club/travel with a player/coach then you may not transfer to that school...Illinois has that rule & it works...aka eliminates travel coaches from making super teams. 

Question 11 :
Heading into your 6th year at Brownsburg, your teams have had some solid regular seasons, but have not yet won a sectional.  Do you feel that the pieces are now coming into place for your program to jump that sectional hurdle, and become a bigger factor deeper into the 6A tournament?

Response
 We are built to be a team that can compete for a state championship. 
How & when we win a state champ will happen I just don't know when...I know when all you worry about is one goal the destination becomes bigger than the journey. I love our football team & we won't be out worked.

Thanks Coach.  Appreciate you taking the time to update us and Indiana football fans on progress at Brownsburg.  Best of luck to you and your tean this season.

Tim Phillips
Hoosier High School Football
The Gridiron Digest

unnamed.jpg

ER99WRWXYAMhLMS.jpg

“HCC- The separation between the MIC &  HCC is really close. Programs, commitment, talent & vision of the 2 conferences are close. MIC teams have slightly more depth…programs who build it the right way don’t use one tool to evaluate growth & success. The 2 conferences will continue to get closer & closer.“

Check mate.