Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

HHF/GID Interview Series : Hammond Central Coach Adam Hudak

Guest DT

New Era of Hammond Football Begins

Former Wheeler and Lake Station Head Coach Adam Hudak takes the reigns of the newly minted Hammond Central Wolves as they prepare for their upcoming inaugural season in The Region

Question 1
Coach, you've taken on the monumental task of building a new football program from the ground up. Lots of hills to climb, barriers and challenges ahead. What was the appeal of this particular opportunity at this point in your teaching and coaching career?
Response
I was very excited to have the opportunity to start a new program. Since I have taken the job, I have reached out to countless coaches to ask them about their favorite traditions. Being able to put my stamp on the program was something that I could not pass up. With a new program there isn't a transition period of learning from the new coach. Every day I preach about how we have the opportunity to do things that have never been done before.
Question 2
You finished a nice 4 year run at Wheeler, closing out the 2020 season at 7-4 and reaching the sectional championship game. You've spent the early part of your career at the small school level. Have you been eying an opportunity to step into a bigger role at a larger school and see what you can do at this level?
Response
My goal was never to coach long term. I was just going to take the head job at Lake Station for 2 years to finish out the careers of the freshman that started when I was an assistant under my former teammate Rich Lunsford. Obviously, I caught the coaching bug and then the Wheeler job opened which was the next step up. Moving forward to Hammond and 5A football just seemed to fit well with me. This will also be the first time teaching in the high school which was also appealing.
Question 3
Turnout and numbers clearly are the big challenge as you complete summer drills and get your kids ready for the fall. Will your team have the depth it needs to be competitive in Year 1 of this program?
Response
We have 31 players on the roster currently. We took 26 players to the scrimmage last week in Munster. I see us having over 45 and filling a JV team when August rolls around. We have a solid core of seniors that are becoming great leaders in the program, and making the younger players more accountable.
Question 4
As you integrate different kids from different schools, attract new kids to come out for the first time, how would you assess the talent level of this first group at HC, and who are some of the standouts that we can expect to see leading your team this fall?
Response
The individual talent is there. We as coaches have to mold them into a unit and help them realize that you need to do your job and trust your teammate to do theirs. Anthony Huber has looked solid at QB, he started at Clark the past 2 seasons. Rayshad Jones and Demetrius McNeil will be the leaders of the offensive line. We have a solid 1-2 punch at OLB with Danny Reeves from Clark and Jeremiah Ruth from Hammond High. Last week we got a nice pick up as Edgar Decker joined us after earning All American status while wrestling at a tournament in Disneyworld. Demitrius Jones from hammond High is an outstanding cover corner and wide receiver for us.
Question 5
What will be your primary schemes offensively and defensively this season, and are you considering any adjustment based on the skill level you see in summer drills?
Response
We will be running the single wing on offense. I feel it will give us our best chance to win and be competitive week in and week out. As the team and coaching staff gets more and more comfortable, we will branch out into more spread and 5 wide formations. Whether it is 2A or 5A football, you still get your best players the ball as often as you can. Defensively we will run a 3-5 and let our speed be as big as a factor as we can.
Question 6
What has been your primary focus in summer drills, and is your team getting the opportunity to compete against similar size schools in 7 on 7 and other related type summer activities?
Response
We have been focusing on the basics. The Hammond schools only played half a season last year, so we are behind the 8 ball a little bit. Form tackling, blocking, and knowing your read keys have been the vocal point so far. Speed development has also been important. We want to be the fastest team every Friday night.
Question 7
What are your core goals and objectives for this program in 2021?
Response
My seniors from Hammond High have only won one game in high school. Thats a tough to think about when you want goals of winning a conference or a playoff game. We just want to improve every week. We want our numbers to be up and we want our players to be proud to be part of the Hammond Central Wolves.
Thanks Coach

605bc256a6059.image.jpg

download (5).jpgXXX.jpg

unnamed.jpg