Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

HHF/GID Interview with Angola Coach Andy Thomas

Guest DT

HHF Interview with Andrew Thomas, Head Coach of the Angola Hornets

Angola has been on a steady rise since Coach Thomas' arrival in 2014. The Hornets have several 3 year starters returning and look to be a factor in the 4A post season
Hello Coach Thomas and thank you for joining us at The HHF :

Question 1
Covid threw quite a monkey wrench into many high school football programs last year. You opened the season with a big 55-18 win over Dekalb, and then lost to that same Barons team in the sectional 7-0. Quite the turnaround from Week 1 to week 10. How was your team impacted last year, and do you feel that your guys have shaken off the rust and are ready to get back to action this fall?
Answer
Starting with a quarantine and the cancellation of our games in weeks two and three, it was a never ending issue for us. We played two games with a full roster. We’ve had a great summer thus far, and our guys are ready to compete.
Question 2
Your program is just a few seasons removed from that great 24-2 run in 2017-2018 and back to back sectional titles. Based on what you have seen out of your team this summer in drills and team competitions, are the Hornets getting into position to return to that standard of excellence those teams set a few years back?
Answer
That’s what we are always aspiring to do. We have high expectations in our program, and we remind our players that we fought for the privilege to carry those expectations. We have talented and tough-minded players, and with great senior leadership we will have a chance to win championships again.
Question 3
As you head into your 8th season at Angola, this program looks much different than it did when you first arrived. How would you assess the overall health of the program in terms of numbers, depth, team strength and speed, individual talent level, and team cohesiveness?
Answer
We have athletic and strong kids. I will put what we do in our strength and agility program up against anyone. Our summer program is very difficult. Our kids work extremely hard, and the benefits are both physical and mental.
We have never had great depth, especially at the 4A level. Although we sometimes have to search for teams to play in our area, we are fortunate to play a full freshmen schedule as well as JV.
We have an extensive leadership program that culminates in several meetings with our seniors starting in the spring of their junior year. We meet at my house, and we have various leadership retreats.
We emphasize to our seniors that we can be as successful as we want to be if we are willing to truly care about each other and take care of each other, and willing to put others ahead of ourselves.
Question 4
The NECC divisional setup gives you many opportunities to go out of conference in search of better competition to get your team prepared for postseason play. Looking at this year's schedule, what changes have you made, and what are your scheduling intentions going forward as you continue to look for opportunities to challenge your team?
Answer
We play a great schedule. It is much different than when we first got here. We open with DeKalb and Leo every year. We have played Jimtown, South Bend Clay, and Orchard Lake St. Mary’s from Michigan in the past couple of years, and this year we play Chelsea, MI and Mishawaka Marian.
Also, we have played some all-time great teams from the NECC in the last few years. Teams that have gone undefeated or won tournament championships or both.
Question 5
What is the core identity of your team in terms of offensive and defensive philosophy?
Answer
We are a pistol option team on offense. We run traditional option schemes and also power read and counter read. We use play action, RPO, and bubble screen in the passing game. What we emphasize from year to year depends on the strengths of our players.
Defensively, we are a base 3-4 team. We also tailor our defense to the strengths of our players. We like to slant and angle but will also use over-under schemes depending on personnel.
Question 6
Who are some of your key returning lettermen who will be counted on to produce on both sides of the football this fall?
Answer
We have three senior, 3-year starters on defense. Brandon Villafuerte nose guard, Kyle Brandt at linebacker, and Zack Buell at safety. Senior Finley Hasselman is a 3-year starter at fullback. Other senior returning starters are Dylan Oberlin at tackle, Zach Steury at center, and Frank Luna at corner. We have four returning starters who are juniors, and we also have a great mix of seniors who are hungry to get their shot at varsity football and talented young guys with skill.
Question 7
Your two consecutive unbeaten seasons ended at the hands of Fort Wayne Dwenger in the Regional. Understanding that you are always going to gear up and play the teams on your schedule and the programs you encounter in the tournament, what are your general views on the Success Factor, and do you feel it has achieved its objective of helping to maintain competitive balance in high school football in Indiana?
Answer
When I was a young guy I thought everyone just needed to simply get better, and now that I am older I know that all teams are not on a level playing field.
There are many big-picture, key factors that go into having a football program that can win at a high-level year after year. Things such as administrative alignment, facilities, high socio-economic status, and commitment to strength training during the school day. Some schools have all these things and are totally committed to winning, some have a few, and some have none. It is very hard to be successful with none. Just as it is easier if you have all of them. I support the success factor as it is right now. I am not sure there will ever be a perfect solution.
Question 8
With a healthy roster , a strong summer, and a successful start, what can this team accomplish in 2021 relative to conference and post season success?
Answer
Our main emphasis going into this season has been the conscious development of an aggressive edge. We have good kids who fight through adversity, who play banged up, who are willing to go through extremes. We have played seven fourth-quarter games the last two years and we have only won one of them. Too many times, we have “let it happen,” throughout the game and in the fourth quarter. We need to be the aggressor and sustain that type of attitude from start to finish. If we can continue to develop that through our training and through our practices, we will be successful.
Thanks Coach and best of luck this season.
Tim Phillips
Hoosier High School Football

download (40).jpg

Angola-Chance-Roddy-pass-vs.-Leo-1100x733.jpg

unnamed.jpg

He has done a great job with that program. Angola has been our official scrimmage opponent for quite a while now, and they have improved quite a bit in his time. As far as him going anywhere; don't be too quick. He has a really good thing going. And to be in the area where lake life is so prominent? I am guessing he has passed on a few opportunities already. Sometimes a good fit is enough to keep a person in place. I have a few friends who really like the situation they are in that would be great as head coaches; or coaches in bigger programs.