Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Bishop Luers at Carroll

Game of the week in the SAC

It's 2A vs 6A, but yet considered the marquee game in Northeast Indiana Friday night. Bishop Luers returns most of their players from what should have been a state championship team a season ago. The Knights already have a couple of victories over Carroll since the Chargers joined the SAC a few years back, and this team is better than any of those. However, Carroll is also looking at what could be their best team since joining the conference. Not to mention they'll be hosting for the first time in their brand new stadium. The Chargers will be jacked up for sure. But don't count out those Knights. 

I'm giving the 6A school the advantage in this one. Carroll 35-21

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Game of the week in the SAC

It's 2A vs 6A, but yet considered the marquee game in Northeast Indiana Friday night. Bishop Luers returns most of their players from what should have been a state championship team a season ago. The Knights already have a couple of victories over Carroll since the Chargers joined the SAC a few years back, and this team is better than any of those. However, Carroll is also looking at what could be their best team since joining the conference. Not to mention they'll be hosting for the first time in their brand new stadium. The Chargers will be jacked up for sure. But don't count out those Knights. 

I'm giving the 6A school the advantage in this one. Carroll 35-21

Carroll wins easily 42-14.

17 hours ago, southend said:

You would think. But..............

Carroll was ahead of Luers 48-0 at halftime last year. Luers would have to be significantly better than last year and Carroll would have to be significantly worse to make this game to be close.

P.S. Not sandbagging lol. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jakone said:

Carroll was ahead of Luers 48-0 at halftime last year. Luers would have to be significantly better than last year and Carroll would have to be significantly worse to make this game to be close.

P.S. Not sandbagging lol. 

I get what you are saying. Luers returns more of their core than Carroll does though. So that might make a difference. Bottom line.............anyone who plays Carroll this year better have their pass defense in order. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 2:17 PM, BTF said:

Bishop Luers returns most of their players from what should have been a state championship team a season ago.

Not sure how you come up with that.  They were close, but a team that can't force one punt or stop their opponent on downs one time during the entire game "should" lose.  

I don't know anything about Carroll but if they are a good 6A team and Luers hasn't improved their defense significantly from last season, Carroll will probably have good success running the ball on them.  That takes nothing away from how good the Luers passing attack is.  They are going to be a tough out in the 2A tournament again this season.  But I need to see that defense show up this season before picking them to win against a decent 6A team.  

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Ok, I’ll expand on my statement above.  

With their upgrade in facilities and desire to be taken seriously as a 6A player, Carroll cannot let a 2A school (no disrespect intended at all to Luers) hang around for long.

They need to make a statement.

We'll see then.

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Ok, I’ll expand on my statement above.  

With their upgrade in facilities and desire to be taken seriously as a 6A player, Carroll cannot let a 2A school (no disrespect intended at all to Luers) hang around for long.

They need to make a statement.

Agree. I knew exactly what you meant.

3 hours ago, XStar said:

Not sure how you come up with that.  They were close, but a team that can't force one punt or stop their opponent on downs one time during the entire game "should" lose.  

The chances of a team losing when up by 9 with 1:39 to go is less than one percent. That's how I came up with that. But I understand your point of view as well. 

10 minutes ago, BTF said:

The chances of a team losing when up by 9 with 1:39 to go is less than one percent. That's how I came up with that. But I understand your point of view as well. 

Maybe.  But that has nothing to do with that game because it was a 2-point game with 1:39 left.  

8 minutes ago, BTF said:

Up by nine with under 2 minutes to play. Happy?

That's accurate but it was also 1st-and-goal inside of the 1-yard line at that point so it was still one play away from being a 2-point game on the very snap the clock ticked under 2 minutes.  

Edited by XStar

On 8/15/2021 at 8:34 PM, BTF said:

Agree. I knew exactly what you meant.

That loss, for me, is entirely on coaches not utilizing the field/clock/plays. No, I don't coach football, but I've taught with state championship coaches who love to point out Luers' clock management/special teams/player usage fiascos.   My gosh, run sideways and lose some precious seconds.  I digress. There is no way Luers keeps it close against Carroll, unless the defense has improved tremendously.  

Edited by Robert

2 minutes ago, Robert said:

That loss, for me, is entirely on coaches not utilizing the field/clock/plays. No, I don't coach football, but I've taught with state championship coaches who love to point out Luers' clock management fiascos.   My gosh, run sideways and lose some precious seconds.  I digress. There is no way Luers keeps it close against Carroll, unless the defense has improved tremendously.  

Still the game of the week. I'm looking forward to Luers squaring up against this Carroll team that has high expectations. No shame in a great 2A team losing to a good 6A team. Could be closer than some think. We'll see. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BTF said:

Still the game of the week. I'm looking forward to Luers squaring up against this Carroll team that has high expectations. No shame in a great 2A team losing to a good 6A team. Could be closer than some think. We'll see. 

The next Anthony Spencer n Austin mack aren't walking the halls for Luers...or are they?? Those cyo teams get talent out of nowhere sometimes..when the coach for them played safety they could have beaten the likes of carroll..I still believe in their feeder system..yeah its a get off my lawn thing yet at least I can admit it..

I see Caroll taking this one by at least 3 touchdowns.  It just comes down to the fact that Caroll has more dawgs than Luers.  Luers has a boatload of talent returning on offense coming back. Alough the line size and depth and experience will be a concern early in the season in my eyes. Defense will definitely have to be better, coaching decisions and clock management will be a big issue also. (i.e. Last year state game.)

BLHS got a pretty good transfer in, but also one of the  guys I'm sure Luers was counting on a would be senior who scored 2 touchdowns and the state championship game, isn't it even listed on the roster, and his number from last year has taken by another player. Losing him is going to be a blow for the Knights.

Luers will struggle through the SAC most likely with a around .500 winning percentage before getting things get righted come playoffs. (Luers playoff run will be dependent on injuries and attrition sustained from being the small dawg in a big pound during the regular season.)

Heres's to a good season and Good luck to all the other area teams. Hopefully we can again have a couple teams representing NE Indiana after Thanksgiving in the Luke, Hopefully including the Knights of BLHS.

On 8/17/2021 at 9:47 PM, southend said:

I think Bishop has lost there mojo. They used to have a lot of swagger. In the Fort. No contest here. 

But, barring injury, no outcome in this contest negatively impacts Luers’ ability to compete for the 2A title this fall.

”Swagger” doesn’t help much when you’re taking on a school 5x your size.

Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

But, barring injury, no outcome in this contest negatively impacts Luers’ ability to compete for the 2A title this fall.

”Swagger” doesn’t help much when you’re taking on a school 5x your size.

Just my opinion.

Well said.

What I respect about Luers is that they play everyone of the these large schools with the expectation that they are going to win the game. They have an "I can beat anyone" and "winning state championships is what we do" mentality. There are some 6A schools that don't even think that way, one SAC school in particular. 

53 minutes ago, BTF said:

Well said.

What I respect about Luers is that they play everyone of the these large schools with the expectation that they are going to win the game. They have an "I can beat anyone" and "winning state championships is what we do" mentality. There are some 6A schools that don't even think that way, one SAC school in particular. 

Is that the aforementioned “swagger?”