Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Drones: Legal or Not?

One of our observers was asked a question by an official who observed a drone being used at the scrimmage he worked: legal or illegal? He sought clarification from the IHSAA and received the word:

1. Drones are not per se illegal when used in connection with a contest. However, they may not fly directly over the field or stands.
  2. Whether any drone use is permitted on premises beyond that is within the jurisdiction of game management - not the game officials. Check with the host AD before you take off.
  3. Drone use is also subject to local and state laws, as well as FAA regulations.

Just now, Bobref said:

One of our observers was asked a question by an official who observed a drone being used at the scrimmage he worked: legal or illegal? He sought clarification from the IHSAA and received the word:

1. Drones are not per se illegal when used in connection with a contest. However, they may not fly directly over the field or stands.
  2. Whether any drone use is permitted on premises beyond that is within the jurisdiction of game management - not the game officials. Check with the host AD before you take off.
  3. Drone use is also subject to local and state laws, as well as FAA regulations.

Being close to the airport, I've been told that drones are a no no in our airspace since we're within 5 miles of IIA.

Given that those things can malfunction, run out of juice, be poorly controlled, etc., if I was an AD I wouldn't want those things anywhere near a crowd of fans, players, coaches, officials, etc.  I might allow a professional drone photographer, employed by one or both teams, to shoot the game.  I'm sure they could get some great footage.  But they'd have to demonstrate a high level of proficiency and follow some ground rules.

How long until somebody tries to use one of these to spy on opponents' practices?  Surely Belichick has already tried it.

8 hours ago, Bobref said:

Was at an inter squad scrimmage a few Friday’s ago. 

As we were working our mechanics (FGs), the back judge and I hear a loud buzzing. As we are working we look up and two drones are zipping by us. Bout scared me to death. 

Managers were controlling them. 

Not to step on Tanka's toes, but I could see in 4-5 years, drones replacing endzone cameras for the tight shot.  As the cost comes down and quality video improves, the savings of time and manpower to set up a camera vs a drone might make it more attractive. 

I could be way off.   But I know I have seen some college coaches use them for filming practice.  Plenty of examples on YouTube if you look. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

Not to step on Tanka's toes, but I could see in 4-5 years, drones replacing endzone cameras for the tight shot.  As the cost comes down and quality video improves, the savings of time and manpower to set up a camera vs a drone might make it more attractive. 

I could be way off.   But I know I have seen some college coaches use them for filming practice.  Plenty of examples on YouTube if you look. 

It's not just college.  High schools here in Indiana are using them already for this.

• Like 1