Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Gibson Southern @ New Albany

Gibson Southern (1-0) at New Albany (0-1)
GAME TIME: 7:30 pm ET, Buerk Field.
COACHES: Nick Hart, 92-19 in 10th year at Gibson Southern. Steve Cooley, 20-20 in 5th year at New Albany, 142-135 in 27th year overall.
SAGARIN RATINGS: Gibson Southern, 80.73, 16th overall, 3rd in 3A. New Albany, 55.85, 191st overall, 28th in 5A.
LAST OUTING: Gibson Southern defeated Columbus North, 43-20. New Albany lost to Bloomington South, 50-20.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: Gibson Southern 0-1. New Albany 1-0.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: No meetings.
jh PREDICTION: Gibson Southern, 49-28.

All I know about New Albany is that people say they have some speedsters on the team.  Should be an interesting game….I’m not sure how much to take from the Bloomington south game since they have the McCullough kid(s?)….I think it’s 2 brothers

I wasn't at the the South/New Albany game, but the Bulldogs do have some speedsters and returned two kickoffs for scores. A lot of that was on the Panthers' coverage, but NA's speed didn't allow South to recover on the coverage. Actually, the second kickoff return was not taken all the way, but to the South 12 yd line and the Bulldogs had to use all four downs to get the score. South controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball which was somewhat of a surprise considering the defense was a big question mark going into the game. After not having a single 100 yard rusher last season, South's Che Hogue ran for 150 yards on 17 carries behind a line that had beefed up during the off-season. New Albany's QB, Derell Simmons, is experienced and was 20 of 32 for 203 yards and no picks with a 74 yard TD pass contributing a lot to his total. The Bulldogs rushed for just 59 yards on 32 carries, but they were playing catch-up a lot in the second half and had to go with the passing game. Whether New Albany was flat for this game after the long trip up to Bloomington or what, they do return 17 starters (I believe) from last season, so I wouldn't take them lightly over how this game went.

27 minutes ago, ptr said:

I wasn't at the the South/New Albany game, but the Bulldogs do have some speedsters and returned two kickoffs for scores. A lot of that was on the Panthers' coverage, but NA's speed didn't allow South to recover on the coverage. Actually, the second kickoff return was not taken all the way, but to the South 12 yd line and the Bulldogs had to use all four downs to get the score. South controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball which was somewhat of a surprise considering the defense was a big question mark going into the game. After not having a single 100 yard rusher last season, South's Che Hogue ran for 150 yards on 17 carries behind a line that had beefed up during the off-season. New Albany's QB, Derell Simmons, is experienced and was 20 of 32 for 203 yards and no picks with a 74 yard TD pass contributing a lot to his total. The Bulldogs rushed for just 59 yards on 32 carries, but they were playing catch-up a lot in the second half and had to go with the passing game. Whether New Albany was flat for this game after the long trip up to Bloomington or what, they do return 17 starters (I believe) from last season, so I wouldn't take them lightly over how this game went.

GS by 30+ this game.... 

Just now, Titan20 said:

Keep stirring it…lol

Just saying, we are in the same conference as NA and every year they can't play defense, I gave them the benefit this year and they got absolutely destroyed by South.. GS beat down a decent CN team week 1... GS might be the best team in 3A, if not they are def top 3. 

1 hour ago, Olympian06 said:

Just saying, we are in the same conference as NA and every year they can't play defense, I gave them the benefit this year and they got absolutely destroyed by South.. GS beat down a decent CN team week 1... GS might be the best team in 3A, if not they are def top 3. 

So who wins… East or CN?

8 hours ago, Titan20 said:

So who wins… East or CN?

I think East will beat CN.. East lost 32 seniors last year, but played toe to toe with Whiteland (regardless of the score) was 14-7 at half, East had the ball on the 4 yard line with 1st and goal at the end of the 3rd and fumble the ball.. Whiteland scored its last TD with 33 seconds left to make it the final margin.. This is East' down year, next year should be pretty good. 

I still stick with my statement, I think GS will thump New Albany. GS is an extremely good team. 

8 hours ago, Titan76 said:

What are some good local eating spots in New Albany? Preferably not the normal chain restaurants. 

I ate at a pizza place called Arni's a few years ago, if I remember correctly it was a very small place but had good pizza. 

9 hours ago, Titan76 said:

What are some good local eating spots in New Albany? Preferably not the normal chain restaurants. 

I would recommend Floyd County Brewing Co. 129 W. Main St. in New Albany. Really good food and beer and locally owned. Take you 10 minutes to get to NAHS from there.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Another impressive win

final score 

GS 63

NA 24

offense went 9-9 on drives for TDs and contended very well with the speed of NA….which seems very promising for this season going forward

New Albany always has the speed, never a team. Has to be one of the most disappointing teams with all the athletes they have year in and year out. Flat out pitiful. 

On 8/23/2021 at 8:31 PM, Olympian06 said:

GS by 30+ this game.... 

My guess wasn’t far off at all. 

15 hours ago, Olympian06 said:

New Albany always has the speed, never a team. Has to be one of the most disappointing teams with all the athletes they have year in and year out. Flat out pitiful. 

My guess wasn’t far off at all. 

Considering they returned a lot of starters off of a decent but not great team last season, I thought they would be more competitive this season, but like others have pointed out, the Bulldogs can't play defense. Since it was game one of a new season, I didn't know if New Albany's play against South was an aberration or not, but obviously it wasn't. They had a lot of preseason hype down around the river, but have been blown out two straight weeks and are probably looking forward to HHC play with the exception of their game with CE.

7 minutes ago, ptr said:

Considering they returned a lot of starters off of a decent but not great team last season, I thought they would be more competitive this season, but like others have pointed out, the Bulldogs can't play defense. Since it was game one of a new season, I didn't know if New Albany's play against South was an aberration or not, but obviously it wasn't. They had a lot of preseason hype down around the river, but have been blown out two straight weeks and are probably looking forward to HHC play with the exception of their game with CE.

IF CE doesn’t find offense everyone will look forward to playing CE… These boys better figure it out real quick. I expected a rebuild but didn’t expect them to be this bad. 

30 minutes ago, Olympian06 said:

IF CE doesn’t find offense everyone will look forward to playing CE… These boys better figure it out real quick. I expected a rebuild but didn’t expect them to be this bad. 

Yeah, I've seen your concerns over their offense; but trying to get a handle on who will come out on top in the HHC looks like a big puzzle right now and it may take another couple of games to get some type of handle on it. Because of their rep, I will stick with CE coming out on top until they prove me wrong. BTW, what is the primary weakness of CE's offense right now, O-line or QB play?

2 minutes ago, ptr said:

Yeah, I've seen your concerns over their offense; but trying to get a handle on who will come out on top in the HHC looks like a big puzzle right now and it may take another couple of games to get some type of handle on it. Because of their rep, I will stick with CE coming out on top until they prove me wrong. BTW, what is the primary weakness of CE's offense right now, O-line or QB play?

All of it, super young team.. graduated 32 seniors last year. Next year they should be pretty good, but this year will be a struggle.. obviously they opened up with 2 teams better than anyone else in the HHC, but hoping with Seymour coming up East can get a little confidence going. East while losing 28-7 to Whiteland looked decent… East losing 28-0 to North today, they looked AWFUL. I understand they are young and seasons like this will happen.