Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Bishop Sycamore

Anything that makes ESPN looks foolish is fine in my book. 

I don’t think they are even recognized by the OHSAA, which makes it even worse IMO.

Not sure how similar it is, but whatever happened to Indianapolis Lighthouse East? They popped up for one year and played a schedule, never to be heard from again. 

29 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Anything that makes ESPN looks foolish is fine in my book. 

I don’t think they are even recognized by the OHSAA, which makes it even worse IMO.

Not sure how similar it is, but whatever happened to Indianapolis Lighthouse East? They popped up for one year and played a schedule, never to be heard from again. 

Yes, those “at risk” kids were just crapped on again.  All because of adults who put them in a bad spot.

• Like 3

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/espn-broadcasting-ohio-hs-football-team-img-academy

Why was an Ohio online-only charter school that’s not affiliated with the Ohio High School Athletic Association, and in existence since 2019, playing IMG Academy on ESPN Sunday afternoon from Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton, Ohio when ESPN should’ve been showcasing one of the best teams in Ohio vs. IMG Academy? That’s a very good question that someone needs to answer.

ESPN’s broadcast team was asking questions midway through the second quarter of today’s 58-0 thumping at the hands of IMG. The play-by-play guy knew they had been duped. Color analyst Tom Luginbill was so disgusted by what he saw on the field, he was tweeting that Bishop Sycamore is a "scam" after the game due to the fact that the coach told ESPN that the team featured several D-I recruits.

Let’s go to the second quarter and Luginbill saying how concerned he was over someone getting hurt.

Now, here’s where things get interesting. Did ESPN bother researching Bishop Sycamore? Did they open MaxPreps and take a look at Sycamore’s 2020 season where they were thumped 56-6…by IMG? Did anyone at that network bother to look into the school to learn that BISHOP SYCAMORE HAS FIVE WINS IN SCHOOL HISTORY?

We can say that ESPN was duped, but this screams pure incompetence.

High school football insiders believe a third-party game broker went out and found IMG an opponent to fill a slot that included an ESPN broadcast. The theory is that Bishop Sycamore’s coach went used-car salesman on the third-party, who then sold Bishop Sycamore to ESPN’s high school broadcast executives.

The rest is history.

Here’s reportedly how the sausage is made:

Now, it’s entirely possible someone at ESPN knew Bishop Sycamore was a joke. And it’s entirely possible ESPN didn’t care how bad Bishop Sycamore is on the field. They just needed warm bodies to get blown out by IMG to fill a TV broadcast. It’s also possible Luginbill and his partner researched the Ohio online charter school and knew what was coming only to act like they were duped.

This story gets even crazier. It appears Bishop Sycamore played a game Friday night in Pennsylvania and then played Sunday against IMG.

Agreed on ESPN looking foolish.   How exactly does this debacle promote high school football?

11 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

This ghetto school played a game on Friday and Sunday.

Not sure that was necessary.

As far as this, I read the article yesterday. What an embarrassment by ESPN! All the great high school football, and they broadcast that. 

As an aside, if an Indiana school were to play on a Sunday, it would need a waiver from the IHSAA, correct? 

• Like 1

Saw that game listed and honestly couldn’t figure out why IMG was playing an Ohio HS that I had never heard of.  Still, as big of an embarrassment as it was (or should be) for ESPN (which I’m fine with), just what does it say about IMG’s difficulty in scheduling opponents that they have to stoop to this?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Saw that game listed and honestly couldn’t figure out why IMG was playing an Ohio HS that I had never heard of.  Still, as big of an embarrassment as it was (or should be) for ESPN (which I’m fine with), just what does it say about IMG’s difficulty in scheduling opponents that they have to stoop to this?

Please don’t call it a high school.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Correct but as an aside I don't believe IMG nor Bishop Sycamore are sanctioned by either of their state's high school governing body. 

I'm just shocked that team ended up on ESPN. It's not like they clearly didn't know if the announcers were saying it in the game.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

I'm just shocked that team ended up on ESPN. It's not like they clearly didn't know if the announcers were saying it in the game.

Didn't watch any of it but saw 58-0. Thing is, IMG would beat just about anybody in the country 58-0 if they really wanted to. Did they call off the dogs early?

Online Charter.......no oversight whatsoever; no accountability for a thing they do; yet setting up a school like this is possible in so many states; including Indiana. There was actually an attempt recently in this part of the State. State legislators there MIGHT step up and do something, but they will not want to as it would open the door for greater accountability in other charters and online schools. 

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

1 minute ago, Irishman said:

Online Charter.......no oversight whatsoever; no accountability for a thing they do; yet setting up a school like this is possible in so many states; including Indiana. There was actually an attempt recently in this part of the State. State legislators there MIGHT step up and do something, but they will not want to as it would open the door for greater accountability in other charters and online schools. 

If these charter schools don't live up to their customer's expectations then those paying customers (aka parents) will go elsewhere.  And then the charter school closes.  Wish there was such 'accountability' when it came to government schools...

• Haha 2