Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

HNAC 2021 Post-Mortem

The season comes to a close and with that there is so much to reflect upon.  So many great things happened in the HNAC this season.  Teams battled throughout the entire season pushing each other to get better week in and out.  We dealt with covid for another season and for most schools in the conference it was not really a factor after the first month of the school year.  Some teams did have more issues than others, but when it came playoff time the teams in the HNAC, as far as I know, were pretty much at full capacity.  I think we will just have to continue to deal with this issue for years to come and it will just become part of the game.  I think a real conversation is going to need to be had about mandating games if possible.  Too many times this season were games cancelled on short notice and one team is left scrambling to find a game while the other sits at home with no consequence.  If you got 11 show up and play.  

Now, to the good stuff.  This year the HNAC had six teams playing for a sectional championship with two of those teams bringing it home in LaVille and North Judson.  North Judson was able to go on and win the regional as well.  Since the inception of the HNAC we have seen Pioneer win multiple state titles and in the years they weren't winning it all they were still bringing home sectional and regional titles.  2019 and 2021 are the only years I believe Pioneer hasn't brought home some post season hardware since the HNAC was formed.  They truly have dominated the HNAC.  This season Pioneer struggled with covid issues early in the season and then late in the year the injury bug really slowed this team down.  However, they were able to muster a great performance against North Judson in the mud and rain at the Pit to solidify a share of the conference crown on the last night of the regular season.  You can tell there is a lot of pride in the Pioneer program and even when it seems they have lost so much from the previous year they continue to churn out great players that buy into their system.  

Winamac had a fantastic year.  They finished 8-1 and share the conference title with North Judson and Pioneer.  Winamac had their own issues with covid and this seems to be a common theme.  Covid issues plagued all teams in the conference this year, but Winamac probably the most of all the teams.  They had to cancel games with LaVille and North Judson.  Who in hindsight ending up being two of the better teams in the conference.  It was hard to gauge Winamac this year.  They beat up on teams that they were supposed to beat up on.  They beat Pioneer to hold the traveling trophy for the year.  Winamac beat a West Central team to win in the first round of the sectional.  In second round of the sectional Winamac hosted North Judson.  It was rainy and muddy.  The field had standing water on Winamac's sideline.  It was not an ideal situation for either team.  In the mud and rain, Winamac's offense sputtered and the turnover battle was won by North Judson along with time of possession. 

Laville's season was also plagued by covid early and often.  They're defense was rock solid as usual.  They won a lot of close games this season.  LaVille was able to turn it on in the post season and claim the sectional title after beating Pioneer.  LaVille's future looks very bright as they bring back a big group of juniors who I am sure are looking to make a claim at the HNAC title and much more next season.  

Knox turned it on late and it seemed that the kids began to buy in as the season progressed.  It was a tough regular season for Knox, but with the success in the 3A tournament and a real chance to claim the sectional title.  I would expect Knox is going to work hard this off season to prepare themselves for a deeper run next season and more of a presence within the conference.  

Triton has a great group of young guys and were able to make a run all the way to the sectional finals before losing to state runner-up Adams Central.  Culver continues to chug along and were in their second sectional finals in three years when they faced North Judson for the sectional 41 crown.  Caston had covid issues early.  Caston's Smith and Hickle were special players in 2021, but it takes 11 to win and Caston seemed as if they are still short a couple of guys before they can start being competitive in the HNAC consistently.  

Which brings me to my final thought how the HNAC handles their post-season awards.  Something is fundamentally wrong when Caston has only one all conference player and Winamac has 7.  Also, there is something wrong when there is a three way split for the conference title and North Judson has 5 all conference players, Pioneer 6, and Winamac 7.  Someone explain that to me where three teams tie but one of those teams is rewarded more than the others?  I am not one to just complain so here is a solution: have the coaches actually select the all-conference team by positions.  Not every team gets there running back on the all-conference team.  Sorry not every running back is all conference.  But every team this year nominated a ball carrier.  You can't have 8 all-conference running backs.  

The grind towards next season has already begun.  Who will make strides in the weight room this off-season?  Who will improve their speed development?  Which teams will continue to move forward and which teams will fall to the bottom of the conference?  A lot of that will be decided over the next few months as we roll into winter and then begin the process all over again with spring practices and the build up towards the summer program.  Good luck to all teams and congratulations on a great 2021 season.