Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

HCC Week #2

Trying to get back on track this week now that we have some data on all teams, lol.

Avon @ Ben Davis:  Both teams looking for a win after near misses in week 1.  BD always seems to peak later while Avon licked its wounds all season last fall.  It’s more important for Avon but I don’t like their chances.  BD wins 30-21.

Cathedral @ Brownsburg:  I think the Irish are the best team in Indiana and it’s not particularly close at this point.  Possibly a bold statement at the stage as CG will undoubtedly improve weekly.  Brownsburg’s win last week should not be overlooked but BD was shorthanded at QB so take it with a grain of salt.  I think the Irish make a statement this week.  Cathedral 34-17.

Franklin Central @ Roncalli:  Possibly one of the most underrated games on the schedule for this weekend.  I think this will be a one possession game and show how far the gap has been closed on the south side of Indy.  I’ll still take Roncalli but it’ll be close.  27-21.

Lawrence Central @ Westfield:  Two of the best 0-1 teams in the state square off and the loser possibly becomes the best 0-2 team.  Lawrence Central should walk away feeling good about themselves as HSE got a lot of offseason publicity but Westfield is likely still shocked.  They had better not be because the Bears are good enough to pull this one off.  I don’t think they will though.  Rocks win 24-13.

Lebanon @ Zionsville:  I could see Lebanon being a player at the 4A/5A level in the coming years based on population trends and growth but they are still a ways away.  Eagles roll here.  34-7.

Noblesville @ Benet Academy (IL):  A solid win for the Millers last week to break in their new facility.  Do not know much about their opponent other than the fact that they don’t show up in Max Preps’ top 25 for Illinois but they do have a next level player at TE according to 247.  I’ll just go homer here.  Noblesville wins 23-20.

North Central @ Hamilton Southeastern:  A huge thud on the north side of Indy last weekend as my sleeper pick in 6A didn’t even score.  The heat is now firmly on O’Shea.  HSE meanwhile went on the road a narrowly held off a feisty LC team.  Won’t have to sweat as hard this week.  Royals win 34-10.

Pike @ Fishers:  Pike took a solid Zionsville unit to overtime last week but could not seal the deal.  The long bus ride to Fishers will tell us a lot about them.  The Tigers rolled last week and could be poised for a big season.  Fishers wins 27-17.

Edited by temptation

7 hours ago, temptation said:

Trying to get back on track this week now that we have some data on all teams, lol.

Avon @ Ben Davis:  Both teams looking for a win after near misses in week 1.  BD always seems to peak later while Avon licked its wounds all season last fall.  It’s more important for Avon but I don’t like their chances.  BD wins 30-21.

Cathedral @ Brownsburg:  I think the Irish are the best team in Indiana and it’s not particularly close at this point.  Possibly a bold statement at the stage as CG will undoubtedly improve weekly.  Brownsburg’s win last week should not be overlooked but BD was shorthanded at QB so take it with a grain of salt.  I think the Irish make a statement this week.  Cathedral 34-17.

Franklin Central @ Roncalli:  Possibly one of the most underrated games on the schedule for this weekend.  I think this will be a one possession game and show how far the gap has been closed on the south side of Indy.  I’ll still take Roncalli but it’ll be close.  27-21.

Lawrence Central @ Westfield:  Two of the best 0-1 teams in the state square off and the loser possibly becomes the best 0-2 team.  Lawrence Central should walk away feeling good about themselves as HSE got a lot of offseason publicity but Westfield is likely still shocked.  They had better not be because the Bears are good enough to pull this one off.  I don’t think they will though.  Rocks win 24-13.

Lebanon @ Zionsville:  I could see Lebanon being a player at the 4A/5A level in the coming years based on population trends and growth but they are still a ways away.  Eagles roll here.  34-7.

Noblesville @ Benet Academy (IL):  A solid win for the Millers last week to break in their new facility.  Do not know much about their opponent other than the fact that they don’t show up in Max Preps’ top 25 for Illinois but they do have a next level player at TE according to 247.  I’ll just go homer here.  Noblesville wins 23-20.

North Central @ Hamilton Southeastern:  A huge thud on the north side of Indy last weekend as my sleeper pick in 6A didn’t even score.  The heat is now firmly on O’Shea.  HSE meanwhile went on the road a narrowly held off a feisty LC team.  Won’t have to sweat as hard this week.  Royals win 34-10.

Pike @ Fishers:  Pike took a solid Zionsville unit to overtime last week but could not seal the deal.  The long bus ride to Fishers will tell us a lot about them.  The Tigers rolled last week and could be poised for a big season.  Fishers wins 27-17.

38-10 BD

35-20 Cathedral 

28-21 Roncalli 

20-17 Westfield

45-14 Zionsville

35-28 Noblesville 

49-7 HSE

21-16 Fishers

• Like 1

Noblesville vs. Benet Academy

Noblesville and Mt. Vernon was a carbon copy of last year. Noblesville ran at will and Mt. Vernon moved the ball at will. Noblesville had 389 yards rushing on 64 carries. Mt. Vernon Sr. QB/WR (Eli Bridenthal)  had 151 yards rushing, 137 yards passing, and 3 receptions for 69 yards. Mt. Vernon has some serious talent at receivers with the big Purdue recruit, Bridenthal, and Jr. Jay Jones. Their offense is scary good. The Freshmen QB they put in when Bridenthal moves to WR is very good. The Millers offense looked about the same as last year. Only difference is they moved Gage Gulley from QB to RB and 6’3 So. Aiden Brewer is now on the OL at TE. The new QB for the Millers is a 6’1 Freshman. He only attempted 4 passes. Curious to see if they open up the passing game a little more if the run game is stalling. He appeared to have a good arm.

Benet Academy used to play in the East Suburban Catholic League which has since merged with the Chicago Catholic League for football. Similar to Noblesville, they’re probably better than their record indicated from last year as they played a very strong schedule. I’ll go with Benet Academy this week for no other reason than Noblesville is going to be making a long hike to the Western Chicago ‘burbs. 

Benet 28 Noblesville 24

Fishers vs. Pike

Complete domination by Fishers last week. Is North Central that bad or Fishers that good. My guess is the truth is likely somewhere in the middle. Looking forward to see how Fishers responds on Friday.

Fishers 27 PIke 17

Ben Davis vs. Avon

Looks like Avon’s offense awoke in the 2nd half against LN for a lot of passing yards. Ben Davis had the advantage vs Brownsburg in first downs, plays ran, and total yardage, but still came up with the L. I’ll take Ben Davis to rebound against the Orioles. 

Ben Davis 31 Avon 20

North Central vs. HSE

HSE survived a defensive battle on East 56th Street last week. I’m expecting their O to break out this week and for North Central to take another beating.  

HSE 35 North Central 10

Cathedral vs. Brownsburg

I didn’t catch the Brownsburg/Ben Davis game last week. Judging by the boxscore it appears Brownsburg was fortunate to win that game. I’ll take Indiana’s best team to beat the ‘Dogs

Cathedral 30 Brownsburg 17

Franklin Central vs. Roncalli

Interesting Southside matchup. The Flashes took care of business in week 1 by pummeling Perry Meridian. Likewise, Roncalli had no problems with Southport. Is this the breakout game for the Jayson West era in Franklin Township? I’ll take the Roncalli O-Line in a close one.

Roncalli 28 Franklin Central 24

Lawrence Central vs. Westfield

I have a feeling LC will be a thorn in the side of everyone they play this year. I picked New Pal to beat Westfield and it looks like they had a comfortable lead the entire game. My assumption is New Pal is that good and Westfield is taking a decent step back this season with the loss of their QB and RB. Still, I can’t imagine the Rocks starting 0-2.

Westfield 21 LC 13

Lebanon vs. Zionsville

I’m expecting the Tigers to respectively compete for the top spot in the competitive Sagamore Conference, but they’re no match for a HCC school. Eagles roll.

Zionsville 41 Lebanon 13

Edited by Boilernation
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Did you attend the Avon/LN game? Curious to know if Avon's offense started clicking too late or if it was more of a result of LN's D letting up. 

I did not. I would imagine IMO that the offense made adjustments at the half.  They have a potent passing attack.  I'm guessing that if they want to beat BD, they will have to outscore them. Like... 41-38 type of score.  Doubt that will happen though.

15 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

I did not. I would imagine IMO that the offense made adjustments at the half.  They have a potent passing attack.  I'm guessing that if they want to beat BD, they will have to outscore them. Like... 41-38 type of score.  Doubt that will happen though.

BD's defense is very stout though they did give a couple big plays, and that allowed Brownsburg to score. I can't imagine them giving up 41, but it's not unprecedented.

Avon @ Ben Davis: BD wins 31-28

Cathedral @ Brownsburg: Cathedral rolls in a statement game 38-21.

Franklin Central @ Roncalli: I see FC's offense not able to move the ball much. Their tough defense gets tired after being on the field all night. Royals pull away late 31-14

Lawrence Central @ Westfield: Westfield wins 31-13.

Lebanon @ Zionsville:  Eagles win 31-7.

Noblesville @ Benet Academy (IL): I'll take the home team. 24-17

North Central @ Hamilton Southeastern:  Royals win 28-14

Pike @ Fishers: Pike wins 27-24.

Ben Davis over Avon by 3 TDs

Cathedral returns some really talented players at the skill positions and Kendrick Gilbert on the D-Line, but they graduated a lot of players from the O-Line and the defense.  Brownsburg returns 15 starters and is more experienced than Cathedral this early in the season.  If Brownsburg is going to win this game, Jayden Whitaker needs to complete the passes that he missed in the 4th quarter against Ben Davis, and Brownsburg's defense needs to not give up the big play and keep everything in front of them.  I would probably use bracket coverage on Jaron Tibbs most of the game.  At the risk of having egg on my face, I'm picking Brownsburg to win by 3 points.  However, if Brownsburg gets by Ben Davis in the sectionals and plays Cathedral in the regional, I'm confident that Cathedral will win the rematch in November.

Roncalli over Franklin Central by 2 TDs

Westfield over LC by two scores.  Now, after the beating they took in the trenches from New Palestine, the question with Westfield becomes:  Did they have two spectacular seasons because of a generational senior class with Maximus Webster, Micah Hauser, and Popeye Williams and go back to finishing in the middle of the pack in their conference, or does Westfield have the talent in their feeder system to compete among the top 5 teams in the state annually, and eventually win a state title before the end of the decade?  Hopefully the later is true.

Zionsville over Lebanon by 4 TDs

Noblesville over Benet Academy by 7 points

HSE over North Central by 4 TDs

Fishers over Pike by 3 TDs

4 hours ago, LC_Bears_04 said:

Now, after the beating they took in the trenches from New Palestine, the question with Westfield becomes:  Did they have two spectacular seasons because of a generational senior class with Maximus Webster, Micah Hauser, and Popeye Williams and go back to finishing in the middle of the pack in their conference, or does Westfield have the talent in their feeder system to compete among the top 5 teams in the state annually, and eventually win a state title before the end of the decade?  Hopefully the later is true.

They win the Hamilton County middle school championship every year it seems, but the problem for them is they have one middle school and all other large districts have 2-4 middle schools.  The other schools are better off in the long run with player development from more kids getting reps and competition for positions when they move to high school.