Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SOUTHERN INDIANA SPORTS NETWORK Sectional predictions

8 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

They clearly aren't SIAC experts.  Also, Charletown over Southridge?

Chucktown is 6-1 with wins over traditional Mid South favorites Silver Creek (44-13) and Brownstown (30-13).  I don't know if that conference is down or not this year.

My question is on what map is Tri High in Southern Indiana?

Hypothetically, and perhaps even un-hypothetically (that's my word, trademarked, you can't use it):

16 Southridge would (will?) beat 14 Charlestown.
18 Triton Central would beat Charlestown.
19 North Decatur would beat Charlestown.
23 Jasper would beat Charlestown.
NR Memorial would beat Charlestown.
NR Castle would beat Charlestown.
NR Boonville would beat Charlestown.

The list goes on. Several of the 15-25 would probably give Charlestown a game, if not beat them.  But, like Twain said: It is not best that we should all think alike; it is a difference of opinion that makes horse races. 

...that said, at least in the article they acknowledge it wasn't the smartest prediction to say Charleston was the best in 3A.

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

Yeah, not sure of the cutoffs here.  Centerville is up there too.  And Tri, Triton Central, Centerville are all north of Whiteland who would certainly be near or at the top of this list if the cutoff were in the "south-ish of Indy" area.  But many in the northern latitudes of Indiana think anything south of I-70 is Kentucky anyway, so...

Fun fodder for debate though.

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

Chucktown is 6-1 with wins over traditional Mid South favorites Silver Creek (44-13) and Brownstown (30-13).  I don't know if that conference is down or not this year.

Based on IHSAA sectionals, they are in the South.

image.thumb.png.fe53c10390450a4debf67502b9b9304d.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Esso Ayche said:

But many in the northern latitudes of Indiana think anything south of I-70 is Kentucky anyway, so...

Can confirm.

I like their picks for sect 46 & 48, but I take exception with their ranking of the top two teams from 48 (Providence/Tecumseh) over the top two from 46 (North Decatur/Tri).  If 46 met 48 in the regional, 46 would be moving on to semistate.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Based on IHSAA sectionals, they are in the South.

image.thumb.png.fe53c10390450a4debf67502b9b9304d.png

Ah, that makes way more sense.  But that leads to the question of why S46 and not any in S45 or S47?  

I know, I know, I'm welcome to write my own if I'm so d*mn smart.  I'm sure if I read back through all the season's articles they probably address their geography selections somewhere.

5 minutes ago, Esso Ayche said:

Ah, that makes way more sense.  But that leads to the question of why S46 and not any in S45 or S47?  

I know, I know, I'm welcome to write my own if I'm so d*mn smart.  I'm sure if I read back through all the season's articles they probably address their geography selections somewhere.

Your guess is as good as mine.  I've found that I can reduce my meds if I don't try to expect or find reason in many of the IHSAA's methods and madness. :classic_smile:

2 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

I’m a little surprised on the Top 25, you would think Memorial or Castle would be on there

Maybe one day Memorial and Castle can elevate their programs enough so they too can included with powerhouses such as North Decatur, North Posey, Perry Central, Tecumseh and Paoli. Whoever created this list really needs to call his proctologist and schedule a cranial removal.

• Haha 3

I'm one of the guys who made the Top 25, as well as created the charts and such. Thank you whoever shared the link. I know the list is wild and out there, and some teams should be on there, like Memorial, Castle, and Boonville, etc. (Castle was close to top 10 on the list week, and dropped after the loss). We base our list on how well the teams are doing in their own divisions. Like are they just dominating their competition.

How well they perform against bigger schools, we look at SoS and other indicators. We also look closely at latest success. Its nothing perfect, and of course probably has our own bias mixed in, but we feel that we're getting a pretty good list together. We think of it like a College AP Poll, with a lot of teams moving in and out. 

Like someone else said above, its a conversation starter. Something we wanted to make to shine light on Southern Indiana teams that don't get to much hype, but are still pretty good. We're fine that's it a topic of debate, and yea, we do mistakes, but we can own that. For us, its all about school and players and getting that spotlight back out. 

Some of the schools may not be considered Southern Indiana schools, we get that. The way I pulled the data focused on Sectionals, and if we wanted to cover a school that was in a sectional, then we covered that entire sectional. We're trying to remove as many Indy related schools from the list, but some like Triton Central. Every school we cover should be a Southern Indiana sectional group. 

Anyhow, happy to join this forum. We're Southern Indiana Sports Network and trying to cover sports in the area, our website is www.sisn.me

• Like 7

@SISN Welcome aboard. The more the merrier on the GID. Any ranking system that would have any team in Sectional 40 with the exception of Mater Dei and any 1A school ahead of 4A (SF) Memorial and 5A Castle needs some serious tweaking. In any event, I'd be interested to see the supporting data.

2 hours ago, SISN said:

I'm one of the guys who made the Top 25, as well as created the charts and such. Thank you whoever shared the link. I know the list is wild and out there, and some teams should be on there, like Memorial, Castle, and Boonville, etc. (Castle was close to top 10 on the list week, and dropped after the loss). We base our list on how well the teams are doing in their own divisions. Like are they just dominating their competition.

How well they perform against bigger schools, we look at SoS and other indicators. We also look closely at latest success. Its nothing perfect, and of course probably has our own bias mixed in, but we feel that we're getting a pretty good list together. We think of it like a College AP Poll, with a lot of teams moving in and out. 

Like someone else said above, its a conversation starter. Something we wanted to make to shine light on Southern Indiana teams that don't get to much hype, but are still pretty good. We're fine that's it a topic of debate, and yea, we do mistakes, but we can own that. For us, its all about school and players and getting that spotlight back out. 

Some of the schools may not be considered Southern Indiana schools, we get that. The way I pulled the data focused on Sectionals, and if we wanted to cover a school that was in a sectional, then we covered that entire sectional. We're trying to remove as many Indy related schools from the list, but some like Triton Central. Every school we cover should be a Southern Indiana sectional group. 

Anyhow, happy to join this forum. We're Southern Indiana Sports Network and trying to cover sports in the area, our website is www.sisn.me

You can't make everyone happy.  The more coverage for our area of the state the better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tango said:

@SISN Welcome aboard. The more the merrier on the GID. Any ranking system that would have any team in Sectional 40 with the exception of Mater Dei and any 1A school ahead of 4A (SF) Memorial and 5A Castle needs some serious tweaking. In any event, I'd be interested to see the supporting data.

Would it be that crazy to put Linton up there? Linton only lost to Mater Dei by one point in last years sectional. It looks like Linton is a better team this year compared to how they were last year. I am not sure that Mater Dei this year is improved over their team from last year. 

40 minutes ago, sr1 said:

Would it be that crazy to put Linton up there? Linton only lost to Mater Dei by one point in last years sectional. It looks like Linton is a better team this year compared to how they were last year. I am not sure that Mater Dei this year is improved over their team from last year. 

Personally, I think Memorial and Castle would beat Linton regularly, but Linton isn't in Sectional 40. MD has beaten Linton handedly 3 of the last 4 years. Unless there is weather (like last year) I like MD's chances because Linton plays a pretty soft schedule and just doesn't get challenged week to week like MD does.