Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hypothetical Neutral Site Regionals

Here are my hypothetical neutral site regionals for this year.  Single games played on Friday night, all at locations with turf fields.

6A

Lafayette Jeff/Carroll (FW) @ Marion

Hamilton Southeastern/Westfield @ Carmel

Brownsburg/Cathedral @ Ben Davis

Warren Central/Center Grove @ Southport

5A

Merrillville/Valparaiso @ Hobart

Mishawaka/Snider @ Warsaw

Plainfield/Whiteland @ Perry Meridian

Bloomington South/Castle @ Jasper

4A

New Prairie/Northridge @ SB St. Joe

Columbia City/Kokomo @ Mississinewa

Roncalli/New Palestine @ Franklin Central

East Central/Evansville Memorial @ Bloomington North

3A

West Lafayette/Knox @ Logansport

Yorktown/Chatard @ Pendleton Heights

Monrovia/Owen Valley @ Martinsville

Lawrenceburg/Southridge @ Charlestown

2A

Andrean/Central Catholic @ Crown Point

Luers/Bluffton @ Norwell

Linton/Lapel @ Greencastle

Triton Central/Mater Dei @ Mitchell

1A

North Judson/Park Tudor @ Harrison (WL)

Carroll (Flora)/Adams Central @ Oak Hill

Sheridan/North Decatur @ Mount Vernon (Fortville)

Lutheran/Providence @ Seymour

21 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

Nice selection of Neutral Sites...

BUT, There is NO WAY Norwell hosts that contest!  Wells County hatred runs generational deep!  Also, Bluffton has turf anyway.  It remains a "home game" for the Tigers. 

I’m from Wells County.  Norwell and Bluffton (and Southern Wells) aren’t as hateful towards each other as some may think.  Maybe some in their communities hold some animosity, but their school leaders seem to work together just fine. This is obviously hypothetical and will not happen any time soon.  Just posting this for fun/discussion.

2 minutes ago, HoopsCoach said:

I’m from Wells County.  Norwell and Bluffton (and Southern Wells) aren’t as hateful towards each other as some may think.  Maybe some in their communities hold some animosity, but their school leaders seem to work together just fine. This is obviously hypothetical and will not happen any time soon.  Just posting this for fun/discussion.

I'll lean on the Morgan Brothers for that "family and community" agreement...

Fair enough?  

39 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

Nice selection of Neutral Sites...

BUT, There is NO WAY Norwell hosts that contest!  Wells County hatred runs generational deep!  Also, Bluffton has turf anyway.  It remains a "home game" for the Tigers. 

Luers would have to travel twice as far as Bluffton if the game is at Norwell. Bellmont is about the same distance for both schools.

19 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Who’s paying the rent for all of these neutral sites?

Who pays it for state tournament events in every other sport?

29 minutes ago, jakone said:

Luers would have to travel twice as far as Bluffton if the game is at Norwell. Bellmont is about the same distance for both schools.

Bellmont does not have turf.  Travel twice as far?  It’s 25 minutes to go from Luers to Norwell.  It’s 18 minutes from Bluffton to Norwell.  I could see an argument if it was 2 hours for one school and only an hour for their opponent.  Not a difference of 7 minutes.

• Like 1

Just now, jakone said:

Luers was 4-1 on turf and 0-4 on grass. Luers is always faster on turf.

Then Bluffton better "buddy-up"!

Should have played Snider in 2021 on turf.  But I was there, and saw that 1st hand.   Would gave been a totally different experience (maybe not the outcome) had they played on a clean.. not quagmire of a muddy field on Paulding Rd.

I love this idea and it should happen its 2022. It won't however until IHSAA gets a handle on North and South lines. As a Miner fan I sorta liked the re-alignment to 37, as I felt all those schools were fairly close in distance. And we get to play Mater Dei at a later date! (chuckle). Regional for Linton is at the ROY Friday. The travel time from Lapel? I really wish them well and HOPE their fans travel well, but C'mon man. How is Lapel even considered a Southern Region team? That's Wrong. 2 hrs plus driving time. 

Now if they fix that then it could happen. Lets say IHSAA designates permanent Regional sites? Remember we play Fri Nights. I can only speak for the South. Lets say Bloomington or Terre Haute? IHSAA pays the host but what about the schools money etc? Hey if ya got a traveling concession stand there ya have it! (sorta like Scecina). Sometimes its not about the money doing the right thing. Done ranting now. GO MINERS! More importantly...safe travels Bulldogs fans, what a day.

1 hour ago, Yuccaguy said:

Bellmont has grass...Advantage-Luers.

Bellmont is basically dirt with a sliver of grass. It was awful when youth teams play on it. Surprised they haven't started raising funds for turf. Though I'm guessing they'll have to start winning again before that is even entertained.

44 minutes ago, globemstr3 said:

I love this idea and it should happen its 2022. It won't however until IHSAA gets a handle on North and South lines. As a Miner fan I sorta liked the re-alignment to 37, as I felt all those schools were fairly close in distance. And we get to play Mater Dei at a later date! (chuckle). Regional for Linton is at the ROY Friday. The travel time from Lapel? I really wish them well and HOPE their fans travel well, but C'mon man. How is Lapel even considered a Southern Region team? That's Wrong. 2 hrs plus driving time. 

Now if they fix that then it could happen. Lets say IHSAA designates permanent Regional sites? Remember we play Fri Nights. I can only speak for the South. Lets say Bloomington or Terre Haute? IHSAA pays the host but what about the schools money etc? Hey if ya got a traveling concession stand there ya have it! (sorta like Scecina). Sometimes its not about the money doing the right thing. Done ranting now. GO MINERS! More importantly...safe travels Bulldogs fans, what a day.

Not sure why they always do North & South and haven't tried East vs West. I'd actually rather they do quarters: NW, NE, SW & SE. Then have rotation of semi states. 

38 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

Bellmont is basically dirt with a sliver of grass. It was awful when youth teams play on it. Surprised they haven't started raising funds for turf. Though I'm guessing they'll have to start winning again before that is even entertained.

Not sure why they always do North & South and haven't tried East vs West. I'd actually rather they do quarters: NW, NE, SW & SE. Then have rotation of semi states. 

Hey I hear ya. Its called free speech/debate and I thank you. I keep harping on North and South because thats pretty simple for the IHSAA gang to understand. Can you imagine throwing your idea into their puzzle? lol I just think we need firm fixed sites to handle it. Keeps yearly rotations out of it. Regionals Terre Haute or Bloomington. Semi State same deal same place.

I keep harping on North and South because thats pretty simple for the IHSAA gang to understand. Can you imagine throwing your idea into their puzzle? lol I just think we need firm fixed sites to handle it. Keeps yearly rotations out of it. Regionals Terre Haute or Bloomington. Semi State same deal same place. Problem with that too is the Evansville teams have to travel farther. Not good either. Maybe if the facilities can handle it with upgrades from the IHSAA, Heck it might be at Elnora, Bickel, Eastern Greene? Budgets are tight for everyone. We can do better than have Regional teams drive 2 hrs to play. And What about if Lapel plays Mater Dei, pick your field. Nope I don't get it.

in this scenario (I am a proponent I think of neutral sites at this level) are sites pre determined, if they are what happens when host site school is still playing, a lot of your school personnel who would need to be there for the 2 visiting teams would also need to be at their own school's game, if not pre determined, and based on after Sectionals, does it give Host Schools and visitors 6 days enough time to pull it off with all the people and linguistics?   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

in this scenario (I am a proponent I think of neutral sites at this level) are sites pre determined, if they are what happens when host site school is still playing, a lot of your school personnel who would need to be there for the 2 visiting teams would also need to be at their own school's game, if not pre determined, and based on after Sectionals, does it give Host Schools and visitors 6 days enough time to pull it off with all the people and linguistics?   

Good point.

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I currently live in Ohio, where the first 2 rounds are at the highest rated schools and the the remainder are at neutral sites (this coming week will be the first week of neutral).  It is my understanding that before the season starts, all schools that are willing to be a neutral site make their wishes known to the OHSAA, so they are on notice that they could be "called" at any weekend of the tournament.  Then on each Sunday during the tournament, the OHSAA assigns the neutral sites for the upcoming week based on trying to equate the distance traveled (and possibly capacity of the stadium).   Approximately half of the neutral games are on Friday and half on Saturday.

As for a team still being in the playoffs, but the school desiring to be a neutral site for another game, I think the OHSAA would have enough neutral site alternatives to prevent this from happening. At this point in the tournament, there are only 28 teams left (4 teams each in 7 divisions), so the supply of stadiums far outweighs the need/demand. 

17 hours ago, globemstr3 said:

The problem with permanent regional or even semi-state sites is, unless the sites are non-high school, the regular inhabitant of said site might still be in the mix.

13 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Just saw your post with the same issue I had on permanent regional sites.