Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame vs. Navy

Bobref

This week the Irish take on the Midshipmen. The series goes back a long way — they’ve played every year since 1927 except for the 2019 COVID season — and is very lopsided in terms of the W-L records. Every year at this time you hear people criticize ND for playing Navy, lamenting the fact that a win over Navy does nothing to enhance national rankings, playoff chances, etc. Those aware of the history, however, know that this game is about something far more important. It’s all about honor, commitment, and a debt that can never be fully repaid.

When WW II rolled around, the University enrollment suffered so greatly that they were close to closing the doors. In 1942 the Navy established a large V-7 training program at Notre Dame. Over the next few years, the Navy paid ND the equivalent of almost $8 million in today’s dollars, plus a daily stipend for each of the thousands of midshipmen who went through training there. This kept the University afloat until the war ended. The special relationship between Notre Dame and the Navy continues to this day, with Our Lady’s University producing more commissioned Naval officers than any other institution, aside from the Naval Academy.

The debt of honor we owe the Navy can never be fully repaid. We repay an installment every year by affording Navy the national spotlight that comes with playing Notre Dame. For that reason, Notre Dame will play Navy in football as long as Navy wants to play. If you’ve never been to this game, you really should treat yourself. I have been to half a dozen over the years, and it’s still my favorite Notre Dame experience. It is most definitely not like other college football games.

If you’re interested in reading about the long relationship between Notre Dame and the Navy, here’s a pretty good article. https://www.si.com/college/notredame/football/notre-dame-football-navy-rivalry-a-bond-forged-in-blood-2022. Next year, Notre Dame and Navy open the college football season … in Dublin, Ireland. How cool will that be?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

What is the Naval Academy paid when the game is played at Notre Dame Stadium?

Ever the cynic.

I did only cursory research, and found no reference to any such payment. I would be more than a little surprised to find one.

4 hours ago, Bobref said:

This week the Irish take on the Midshipmen. The series goes back a long way — they’ve played every year since 1927 except for the 2019 COVID season — and is very lopsided in terms of the W-L records. Every year at this time you hear people criticize ND for playing Navy, lamenting the fact that a win over Navy does nothing to enhance national rankings, playoff chances, etc. Those aware of the history, however, know that this game is about something far more important. It’s all about honor, commitment, and a debt that can never be fully repaid.

When WW II rolled around, the University enrollment suffered so greatly that they were close to closing the doors. In 1942 the Navy established a large V-7 training program at Notre Dame. Over the next few years, the Navy paid ND the equivalent of almost $8 million in today’s dollars, plus a daily stipend for each of the thousands of midshipmen who went through training there. This kept the University afloat until the war ended. The special relationship between Notre Dame and the Navy continues to this day, with Our Lady’s University producing more commissioned Naval officers than any other institution, aside from the Naval Academy.

The debt of honor we owe the Navy can never be fully repaid. We repay an installment every year by affording Navy the national spotlight that comes with playing Notre Dame. For that reason, Notre Dame will play Navy in football as long as Navy wants to play. If you’ve never been to this game, you really should treat yourself. I have been to half a dozen over the years, and it’s still my favorite Notre Dame experience. It is most definitely not like other college football games.

If you’re interested in reading about the long relationship between Notre Dame and the Navy, here’s a pretty good article. https://www.si.com/college/notredame/football/notre-dame-football-navy-rivalry-a-bond-forged-in-blood-2022. Next year, Notre Dame and Navy open the college football season … in Dublin, Ireland. How cool will that be?

Like!

16 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Ever the cynic.

I did only cursory research, and found no reference to any such payment. I would be more than a little surprised to find one.

No, just a realist.  Schools like Indiana State play the likes of Tennessee and Purdue for the big paycheck.  Just wondering if such a deal exists between ND and the Naval Academy.

7 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

No, just a realist.  Schools like Indiana State play the likes of Tennessee and Purdue for the big paycheck.  Just wondering if such a deal exists between ND and the Naval Academy.

I don’t believe so. 

On 11/9/2022 at 1:34 PM, Muda69 said:

Navy is a FBS school, playing in the AAC.  They are not a FCS school like ISU or a FBS MAC type school.  ND also plays at Navy, in which the game is usually hosted in Baltimore to accommodate a larger crowd.  I believe that is the case this year. Next year, the 2 teams meet in Dublin, Ireland and I believe that has happened before.  There will be no payout to Navy.

Edited by Bash Riprock

4 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

Here is a local article that appeared on meta feed 

apparently Nevada mountain west pays big 12 to come here 

I’d imagine nd pays navy something

https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/nevada-football-schedules-home-and-home-series-with-troy-potentially-in-place-of-byu-game

They paid the Middies with the whole second half today!  Watching Navy football is tedious!

• Haha 1

On 11/12/2022 at 3:41 PM, PHJIrish said:

They paid the Middies with the whole second half today!  Watching Navy football is tedious!

Watching the academies play football is a trip back in time.  True vintage football.  The triple option/veer they run in absolutely classic football.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 11/9/2022 at 7:41 AM, Bobref said:

This is the post I made last year, explaining the uniqueness of the Notre Dame - Navy rivalry. This Saturday, Notre Dame and Navy open the 2023 season by playing in Dublin, Ireland. That, in itself, is pretty cool. But I wouldn’t want the real significance of this game to be overlooked amidst the amazing setting, the special uniforms, and all the other neat stuff that will surround this Saturday’s game. At a time when college football is consumed by debate over NIL, the transfer portal, and schools playing musical chairs with conferences, this game is a throwback. It’s all about honor, loyalty and commitment.

So, when you hear somebody remark that there’s no reason Notre Dame should be taking up a spot on their schedule every year with Navy, you’ll know what to say.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

Philistine. 😆

Nah, just not buying the "Notre Dame is holier than everyone else" nonsense.

You are claiming a lot of moral victories off the field (non-conference affiliation, games that mean more than the final score on the scoreboard, etc) as of late...not so optimistic about the Irish ON the field this fall?

50 minutes ago, temptation said:

You and I have very different reading comprehension skills.....

I don't read anything like that...Bob was talking about a series based on history....and he has explained that history before of what makes the ND vs Navy game so special.

Very cool they are opening up in Dublin....guessing won't be too many open seats.

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

You and I have very different reading comprehension skills.....

I don't read anything like that...Bob was talking about a series based on history....and he has explained that history before of what makes the ND vs Navy game so special.

Very cool they are opening up in Dublin....guessing won't be too many open seats.

Philistine

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Which, of course, I never said or intimated. At least in this post. 😉  My point was that this specific game was unique in that it’s played for different reasons than most games — including games in which the Irish play — these days.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Bobref said:

Which, of course, I never said or intimated. At least in this post. 😉  My point was that this specific game was unique in that it’s played for different reasons than most games — including games in which the Irish play — these days.

Wasting your breath Bob....99.9% of us knew what you meant.

• Haha 1