Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

MD vs Linton

11 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

I know Linton had some stints in the SIAC from 1930-1950s but I’m pretty sure Memorial has never played them in football 

8 hours ago, tango said:

I do not believe we have ever played in football. 

I would tend to agree with this.  But, Tut would know for sure.

16 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Have Memorial and Linton every played in any of the big three sports -- football, basketball, or baseball?

Memorial and Linton have never played in Football.  Memorial did play Cathedral in the 1920's and 30's.  

Temps are expected to be in low 30's/upper 20's by kick-off but wind is expected to be minimal < 5 mph, per Channel 14.  Cold will likely have more of an effect on passing game than running game but use of gloves by WR's can often mitigate this, as long as wind is minimal.  I watched some of LS's last 2 games and their only weakness on D is the passing game as they have trouble defending receivers in space.  Not a dig at LS as most high school teams, esp in the smaller classes like 2A, rarely have the athletes needed at DB, SS positions to be really effective at stopping the pass - including MD. 

For MD to win, they will need to use the passing game effectively enough to open up some lanes to run ball as well.  Like LS, if MD can run ball and eat up the clock while putting pts on board, those factors will go a long way to securing a W tonight.  Ever the unabashed "MD homer" I am picking the Wildcats; 31 - 21.  Though I will not be surprised in the least however if LS breaks the spell MD has had on them the last few years.

As always, looking for a well-played and injury free game for both teams & their fans.  Hope all LS fans travel safely to & from the Bowl tonight.  Peace.

On 11/12/2022 at 1:33 PM, TigerFan20 said:
43 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

Temps are expected to be in low 30's/upper 20's by kick-off but wind is expected to be minimal < 5 mph, per Channel 14.  Cold will likely have more of an effect on passing game than running game but use of gloves by WR's can often mitigate this, as long as wind is minimal.  I watched some of LS's last 2 games and their only weakness on D is the passing game as they have trouble defending receivers in space.  Not a dig at LS as most high school teams, esp in the smaller classes like 2A, rarely have the athletes needed at DB, SS positions to be really effective at stopping the pass - including MD. 

For MD to win, they will need to use the passing game effectively enough to open up some lanes to run ball as well.  Like LS, if MD can run ball and eat up the clock while putting pts on board, those factors will go a long way to securing a W tonight.  Ever the unabashed "MD homer" I am picking the Wildcats; 31 - 21.  Though I will not be surprised in the least however if LS breaks the spell MD has had on them the last few years.

As always, looking for a well-played and injury free game for both teams & their fans.  Hope all LS fans travel safely to & from the Bowl tonight.  Peace.

Imo I think it will be a lower scoring game with the run game on both sides eating up a lot of the clock. But give me md 21-10. I’m thinking whoever wins the turnover battle will come out on top and head the LOS next weekend. Go Cats!!

It seems Linton hasn't been the greatest at securing the ball this year and I'd be curious what their turnover/fumble stats are compared to previous years.  The cold weather is certainly not going to help with that.  

Hoping Linton will be able to at least move the ball on O and create some scores, but if they continue the trend of turnovers it's not going to be a happy outcome.  

Pass defense has been spotty most of the year so we'll see if they are able to bend but not break.  

The projected temps tonight bring back memories of the semi state at Eastern Hancock several years ago.  Low temps, precipitation and plenty of wind that night.  At least we don't have the precipitation expected tonight....

2 hours ago, Tippy said:

Memorial and Linton have never played in Football.  Memorial did play Cathedral in the 1920's and 30's.  

Yep, no meetings between the Miners and Tigers. Memorial has played Cathedral 11 times ('25, '26, '40, '42, '45, '52-'55, '91 & '92). The Irish hold a 8-3 advantage. I can't believe it has been 30 years since the 1992 semi-state game at Arlington. It was a bit chilly that night and the mud was covered by a thin layer of ice. 

49 minutes ago, BendNotBreak said:

If I recall... a decision on.. going for it... on 4th down at around midfield was factor in a Linton loss to MD... giving MD a short field which they took advantage of and scored.  Will the Miners be mindful of field position this time around??

Correct.  LS went for it on a 4th & 2 right at midfield and came up short.  MD took the short field and put its final pts on the board with just 10 seconds left to go up 28 - 19.  Interestingly enough, the LS announcers were questioning the call, as there was so little time left in the half...they advocated for LS to punt MD deep, play D,  and run clock out to neuter MD's passing game which had been working well to that point.  Turned out to be prescient.  Wunderlich hit Luke McDurmon with a perfect strike on a wheel route down the left side of the field.  

Edited by MDAlum82
added wording

28 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

Correct.  LS went for it on a 4th & 2 right at midfield and came up short.  MD took the short field and put its final pts on the board with just 10 seconds left to go up 28 - 19.  Interestingly enough, the LS announcers were questioning the call, as there was so little time left in the half...they advocated for LS to punt MD deep, play D,  and run clock out to neuter MD's passing game which had been working well to that point.  Turned out to be prescient.  Wunderlich hit Luke McDurmon with a perfect strike on a wheel route down the left side of the field.  

Yeah.. good memory! ...the MD D was making it tuff on em that series... Def an aggressive call.... turns out... cost em the game.....

Stated it earlier in this thread - but eventually the Miners will have to figure out the "MD Curse/Spell" or whatever it is you want to call it that they've had over them since our Sectional 40 days. 

Totally a shot out of left field as I haven't seen much of these 2 teams , but law of averages says Linton should eventually when one of these. Plus I don't think MD is what they were last year. Give me Linton by 2 scores. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ugminer said:

Then I definitely like are chances.. considering Linton has less players

LOL. Let me clarify.. Starters.

Good luck to both teams. Two great programs with great traditions. Should be a doozy. I'll be watching from home with a glass of Brown-Foreman's finest and my lap Doberman to keep me warm.

1 hour ago, jets said:

Stated it earlier in this thread - but eventually the Miners will have to figure out the "MD Curse/Spell" or whatever it is you want to call it that they've had over them since our Sectional 40 days. 

Totally a shot out of left field as I haven't seen much of these 2 teams , but law of averages says Linton should eventually when one of these. Plus I don't think MD is what they were last year. Give me Linton by 2 scores. 

I could easily see Linton taking this one...but not by 14 pts.  Now, if MD gets an injury to Pierre, McDurmon, Stoltz or worse...Wunderlich, that changes the calculus.

Interesting comments from several LS fans about a tendency to give up TOs by the Miners...if that continues tonight, that could be a YUGE! advantage to MD.  TOs at this time of the year can end a season real quick...cold fingers slip off the ball, both when running with it and trying to catching it...who adapts and who gives in? 

Should be a great game.  Best of luck to both teams for a well-played and injury free game.  Everyone travel safely there and back...