Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

HCC Week #1

Indiana's premier athletic conference (yeah I said it) kicks off this weekend with some solid matchups.

Brownsburg @ Fort Wayne Dwenger:  As I said about Snider/Warren, this feels like an everything to lose game for Brownsburg.  I have been as critical of the Bulldogs as anyone as their inability to get over the postseason hump is well documented.  Word on the street from GID members is that this is not a typical Dwenger outfit.  Taking their word for it, I expect Brownsburg to roll and have a long/happy bus ride home.  Gimme the 'Dogs 38-17.

Carroll (Fort Wayne) @ Hamilton Southeastern:  A great rematch and early season litmus test for two teams with their sights set on Lucas Oil.  I like both of these teams' chances of being alive late and this being the first of two matchups if the dominoes fall in the correct way.  As for this one, I am going to take HSE at home in a revenge game, 24-16.

Franklin Central @ Perry Meridian:  No team has ridden a close loss to higher preseason expectations than FC.  They narrowly missed shocking the state last year as they had eventual state champion Center Grove sweating late.  I expect the Flashes to continue to improve and give them a puncher's chance of finishing above .500 which is no small feat with their schedule.  If that is the case, they have to get this one...and they will.  Franklin Central wins 41-17.

Lawrence North @ Avon:  New leadership at Avon attempting to get the Orioles back to respectability.  Don't know a ton about either team heading into the season honestly.  Gonna pick defensively here as Mallory's program is more established.  A nail biter though.  LN 30-27.

New Palestine @ Westfield:  This one was a shocker last season and gave me high hopes for New Pal but they could not get the job done.  I think Westfield is the better/deeper team this time though I expect New Pal to last longer in the tournament.  Gimme the 'Rocks 27-17.

Noblesville vs Mt. Vernon (Fortville) @ LOS:  Keep waiting on Noblesville to break through as they have taken this matchup against solid Mt. Vernon teams the last two seasons only to get worked over the rest of the way.  I am going to take them again as it is sort of now or never with the Millers, especially considering their recent investment in the sport.  Noblesville wins 30-24.

North Central (Indianapolis) @ Fishers:  I think NC has the right guy but it is also going to take time.  Fishers is a fringe top ten team (and possibly more) in my opinion.  Tigers roll 41-17.

Pike @ Zionsville:  I think both teams have a lot to prove and like LN/Avon I need to see some results before picking with confidence.  Gimme the Eagles at home 24-20.

What say you?

9 minutes ago, temptation said:

As I said about Snider/Warren, this feels like an everything to lose game for Brownsburg. 

I get what you're saying, but...............

I don't look at these games as lose/lose. If Warren beats Snider, they get to say "we beat Snider." The Panthers finished the Sagarin ratings last year as the state's 15th ranked team and appear to be on a similar path this season. Same with Brownsburg. A win over Dwenger is never going hurt your resume. Warren Central and Brownsburg chose winnable games against formidable opponents (teams that hit back when you hit them). Not sure how that's a lose/lose proposition. I get that a program doesn't want to lose to a smaller class team, but that's the chance you take when scheduling "winnable" games. No different than Snider scheduling East Noble. 

For Warren and Brownsburg, the "lose" would be getting defeated by a smaller school. The "win" would be defeating programs that have played in 17 state championships between them. 

I can assure you that folks up here in Fort Wayne are looking at Carmel, Warren Central, Hamilton Southeastern, and Brownsburg and saying "woah, was this such a good idea?" But no matter how you slice it, I think there's some statewide interest in the first ever Indy vs Fort Wayne showdown in the regular season. I think it's an interesting way to start the season. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BTF said:

I get what you're saying, but...............

I don't look at these games as lose/lose. If Warren beats Snider, they get to say "we beat Snider." The Panthers finished the Sagarin ratings last year as the state's 15th ranked team and appear to be on a similar path this season. Same with Brownsburg. A win over Dwenger is never going hurt your resume. Warren Central and Brownsburg chose winnable games against formidable opponents (teams that hit back when you hit them). Not sure how that's a lose/lose proposition. I get that a program doesn't want to lose to a smaller class team, but that's the chance you take when scheduling "winnable" games. No different than Snider scheduling East Noble. 

For Warren and Brownsburg, the "lose" would be getting defeated by a smaller school. The "win" would be defeating programs that have played in 17 state championships between them. 

I can assure you that folks up here in Fort Wayne are looking at Carmel, Warren Central, Hamilton Southeastern, and Brownsburg and saying "woah, was this such a good idea?" But no matter how you slice it, I think there's some statewide interest in the first ever Indy vs Fort Wayne showdown in the regular season. I think it's an interesting way to start the season. 

The general public isn't as smart as you and doesn't have a clue about Sagarin.  They see the 4A/5A next to Dwenger/Snider's name and assume a 6A school should run over them with ease...even a close win has a negative public perception to those who only check the box score or scratch the surface of the sport.

And I agree...I love the matchups and hope its a long term thing.

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

The general public isn't as smart as you and doesn't have a clue about Sagarin.  They see the 4A/5A next to Dwenger/Snider's name and assume a 6A school should run over them with ease...even a close win has a negative public perception to those who only check the box score or scratch the surface of the sport.

And I agree...I love the matchups and hope its a long term thing.

The best is when a fellow fan turns to you and says, "this game should be easy, our record is much better than theirs." That happens every time an Indy team comes to town. 

Anyway, good writeup. I enjoy reading your MIC and HCC threads. 

• Haha 1

Brownsburg @ Fort Wayne Dwenger:  Dogs 42-17

Carroll (Fort Wayne) @ Hamilton Southeastern:  HSE 28-21

Franklin Central @ Perry Meridian:  FC by as much as they'd like. 49-7

Lawrence North @ Avon: Avon 38-31

New Palestine @ Westfield:  Westfield 31-17

Noblesville vs Mt. Vernon (Fortville) @ LOS:  Noblesville 31-21

North Central (Indianapolis) @ Fishers: Fishers 31-24

Pike @ Zionsville:  Zionsville 24-21

Edited by FridayNightLights