Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Penn vs. Cathedral at Arlington Middle School

Cathedral wins by 21 if Penn cannot fix their mental mistakes.

We are more athletic than we have been in the past 5 years, but we lack consistent mental engagement throughout the game, on both sides of the ball.

Week 1, The secondary fell asleep and allowed two deep TD's....

Penn's center has a random high snap that has killed two drives this season already....that took 14 points off the board. 

The only way Penn keeps this game in reach is if they can tackle well and find a way to keep Cathedral's D on their heels.

4 hours ago, Southside said:

I predict they will both be 2-1 after the game!!

There is a very strong like 95% chance this is going to be the case.

6 hours ago, temptation said:

This one intrigues me more so than the past couple of years...I still like Cathedral but not by as much as I did a month ago.

I will go with Irish 35 Penn 28.

Penn is much better than last year IMO, Irish at the moment are probably at the same point last year in the season I am just anxious to see how they respond from last weeks beatdown in Brownsburg amid all the stupid penalties and dropped passes and questionable play-calling.

Should be gorgeous night under the lights in Arlington!

49 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

I will go with Irish 35 Penn 28.

Penn is much better than last year IMO, Irish at the moment are probably at the same point last year in the season I am just anxious to see how they respond from last weeks beatdown in Brownsburg amid all the stupid penalties and dropped passes and questionable play-calling.

Should be gorgeous night under the lights in Arlington!

Eh, I don't think it'll be THAT close.  Gimme Cathedral by 14-17.

While a loss is never fun, last weeks game was a positive for Cathedral. The Lafayette Jefferson game did not really show where they stand (starters never played after halftime). Last week against Brownsburg they got to get a good look an all areas of the team. Yes they had some bad moments, but that also leads to coachable things from film to improve. I saw nothing in the game against Brownsburg that couldn't be fixed, having it on film is definitely what they needed. Typically I like to see how teams improve from week 1 to week 2 when they have got something on film and can get to work on coaching. For me that is this week for Cathedral how will they improve from week 2 to week 3. 

Brownsburg was a very good football team. Lafayette Jefferson was in more of a rebuild and not having their starting QB and RB made it even worse. Penn will be a much better team than Lafayette Jefferson was. I personally feel you will see improvements in areas the Irish struggled in last week Offensively and Defensively. Ultimately regardless of the rankings or wins and losses the main goal is to be better come Tournament time. This will be a good little stretch for the Irish with Penn, Chatard, Frederick Douglas, and Lasalle in 4 of the next 5 games.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

While a loss is never fun, last weeks game was a positive for Cathedral. The Lafayette Jefferson game did not really show where they stand (starters never played after halftime). Last week against Brownsburg they got to get a good look an all areas of the team. Yes they had some bad moments, but that also leads to coachable things from film to improve. I saw nothing in the game against Brownsburg that couldn't be fixed, having it on film is definitely what they needed. Typically I like to see how teams improve from week 1 to week 2 when they have got something on film and can get to work on coaching. For me that is this week for Cathedral how will they improve from week 2 to week 3. 

Brownsburg was a very good football team. Lafayette Jefferson was in more of a rebuild and not having their starting QB and RB made it even worse. Penn will be a much better team than Lafayette Jefferson was. I personally feel you will see improvements in areas the Irish struggled in last week Offensively and Defensively. Ultimately regardless of the rankings or wins and losses the main goal is to be better come Tournament time. This will be a good little stretch for the Irish with Penn, Chatard, Frederick Douglas, and Lasalle in 4 of the next 5 games.  

Brownsburg might be the best team in the state. I have them deadlocked with Ben Davis and Center Grove. That being said, didn't Cathedral have them down 17-14 at one point? The Irish must be pretty good if that's the case. I think the Kingsmen are good also, but I see the difference in this one being two touchdowns. Cathedral 35, Penn 21.

41 minutes ago, BTF said:

Brownsburg might be the best team in the state. I have them deadlocked with Ben Davis and Center Grove. That being said, didn't Cathedral have them down 17-14 at one point? The Irish must be pretty good if that's the case. I think the Kingsmen are good also, but I see the difference in this one being two touchdowns. Cathedral 35, Penn 21.

Back and forth for the first quarter and a half. Some pretty poor game management and bad execution gave Brownsburg the lead at halftime and then they exerted their will on Cathedral in second half. I think depth is going to be a major concern for Cathedral the rest of this year and magnified even more playing in 6A. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Back and forth for the first quarter and a half. Some pretty poor game management and bad execution gave Brownsburg the lead at halftime and then they exerted their will on Cathedral in second half. I think depth is going to be a major concern for Cathedral the rest of this year and magnified even more playing in 6A. 

I feel Brownsburg exerted their will in the 3rd qtr. Brownsburg too full advantage of opportunities in the 3rd. The Irish Offense went away from being balanced leaving their defense on the field and they were very gassed (2 play with INT, 3 and out, 3 and out until about 1 minute left in the 3rd). The 3rd qtr is an area they Irish need to improve on. They will improve as they get game experience.

As for Brownsburg I think they have some work to do in Secondary and on O-line. but they looked very solid.

2 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

I feel Brownsburg exerted their will in the 3rd qtr. Brownsburg too full advantage of opportunities in the 3rd. The Irish Offense went away from being balanced leaving their defense on the field and they were very gassed (2 play with INT, 3 and out, 3 and out until about 1 minute left in the 3rd). The 3rd qtr is an area they Irish need to improve on. They will improve as they get game experience.

As for Brownsburg I think they have some work to do in Secondary and on O-line. but they looked very solid.

Brownsburg was very impressive. Very good RB and B10 receiver and QB throws a nice ball. I think their defense needs a lot of work if they want to hang with the CG's and Ben Davis' of the world but they have some firepower. 

4 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Brownsburg was very impressive. Very good RB and B10 receiver and QB throws a nice ball. I think their defense needs a lot of work if they want to hang with the CG's and Ben Davis' of the world but they have some firepower. 

Agreed and some work on the O-line staying consistent. The impressive thing was QB play. I knew they would have the RB and WR's but didn't know what they had at QB with the graduation of last years QB.

26 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Agreed and some work on the O-line staying consistent. The impressive thing was QB play. I knew they would have the RB and WR's but didn't know what they had at QB with the graduation of last years QB.

We have to remember, Penn's play calling can get very predictable in parts of the game. Penn is much better than they have been since this series started. But, this group right now has shown sparks of brilliance and then shocked me with bone head plays.  Now, I understand they are high school kids, but they need to be dialed in tonight to give Cathedral a scare.

If we remember last season, Penn came out strong and then Cathedral owned the game after their bomb touchdown late in the first half. I think this Penn team is better than that team, if they can play a full 48 minutes like they did in the first 23 minutes of last year, we could be talking about a different outcome this year.  But, it is Cathedral and I am hesitant to be positive about Penn vs Indy schools. 

To further recap the Brownsburg game, the Bulldogs receivers made more catches in double and triple teaming than I've seen in a long time.  Hats off to them for that.  The Irish DB's need to spot the ball better and make some plays.

It's a beautiful September day here in Indianapolis.  Of course every Friday night is beautiful this time of the year!  I hope to see a lot of Irish fans tonight at AMS!  Gametime is 7:30 BTW.

54 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

To further recap the Brownsburg game, the Bulldogs receivers made more catches in double and triple teaming than I've seen in a long time.  Hats off to them for that.  The Irish DB's need to spot the ball better and make some plays.

It's a beautiful September day here in Indianapolis.  Of course every Friday night is beautiful this time of the year!  I hope to see a lot of Irish fans tonight at AMS!  Gametime is 7:30 BTW.

What's the seating capacity at Arlington?

21 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Seating I'm guessing somewhere between around 4-5k. Plenty of room along the sidelines to stand as well. I wouldn't guess it's anywhere close to capacity tonight. 

No one travels anymore, I'm sure that goes for Penn fans as well. It would have been standing room only 20-30 years ago. 

Cathedral led 35-0 at halftime, thus the running clock in the 2nd half, and it was scoreless.  The Irish won 35-0.

There's still some things to clean up for the Irish, but they had fewer penalties and caught the ball tonight.  Not much of a running game which is quite strange.  Most of the running plays, except for the QB keeps, were right up the middle.  If they had run outside guard it would have seemed like an end run.

Bishop Chatard is up next back at AMS.  The field was no factor tonight. Oh, and it's Cathedral's homecoming next week.  Tonight was senior night which had to be early when the Irish only playing a couple games at "home.'  I also want to thank Penn for coming down to play at AMS twice in the last four years, and I wish them well the rest of the season.

55 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

Cathedral led 35-0 at halftime, thus the running clock in the 2nd half, and it was scoreless.  The Irish won 35-0.

There's still some things to clean up for the Irish, but they had fewer penalties and caught the ball tonight.  Not much of a running game which is quite strange.  Most of the running plays, except for the QB keeps, were right up the middle.  If they had run outside guard it would have seemed like an end run.

Bishop Chatard is up next back at AMS.  The field was no factor tonight. Oh, and it's Cathedral's homecoming next week.  Tonight was senior night which had to be early when the Irish only playing a couple games at "home.'  I also want to thank Penn for coming down to play at AMS twice in the last four years, and I wish them well the rest of the season.

Penn scored a TD late on a punt return 

16 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Seating I'm guessing somewhere between around 4-5k. Plenty of room along the sidelines to stand as well. I wouldn't guess it's anywhere close to capacity tonight. 

I recall two years ago with the infamous 'mud bowl' w/Center Grove the attendance was cited around 5,000-6,000 but that was 'all-in' including standing room only all around the track not sure you would have wedged in much more.