Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

4A South Semi State: Mt. Vernon(Fortville) @ #3Memorial

12 minutes ago, Tiger391 said:

Are they that stupid?

Surely these coaches know their players better than you.  There is something to be said for consistency and they’ve played on Friday nights for three consecutive months.

It is not this death march that many make it out to be and is not a significant factor in most cases.

But damn, that’s a long, cold bus ride home in the event of a loss.

I think Memorial's dominance the last three years has gone almost unnoticed.

2016- 9 wins 4 losses 3A  Sectional Champs

2017-14 wins 1 loss 3A STATE CHAMPS

2018- 14-1 3A STATE RUNNER UP

2019 they get bumped up to 4A and win regionals and currently are 11-1. They are the favorite to win semi state as well. 

What other team has been bumped up due to the success factor and made it to semi state or state? 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Arrow95 said:

2019 they get bumped up to 4A and win regionals and currently are 11-1. They are the favorite to win semi state as well. 

What other team has been bumped up due to the success factor and made it to semi state or state? 

I know of Cathedral and New Pal 

31 minutes ago, Arrow95 said:

It is likely unprecedented in the success factor era.

41 minutes ago, Arrow95 said:

Cathedral, New Pal, Dwenger and Columbus East.  All started as 4A.

Cathedral and Columbus East both actually qualified to move up 2 classes (from 4A to 6A) based on their success after the initial bump up.

Still, its rarified air and Memorial is the first non-4A team to do it from what I can tell.

4 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Cathedral, New Pal, Dwenger and Columbus East.  All started as 4A.

Cathedral and Columbus East both actually qualified to move up 2 classes (from 4A to 6A) based on their success after the initial bump up.

Still, its rarified air and Memorial is the first non-4A team to do it from what I can tell.

When Andrean was in 3A were they playing with a 1A or 2A enrollment? Sorry to sidetrack the thread... How many points would Memorial now need to be 5A now? Such a shame they are now disconnected with teams like Gibson Southern and Heritage Hills. 

10 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

When Andrean was in 3A were they playing with a 1A or 2A enrollment? Sorry to sidetrack the thread... How many points would Memorial now need to be 5A now? Such a shame they are now disconnected with teams like Gibson Southern and Heritage Hills. 

Andrean’s situation was complicated.  They were 3A in size when they factored out of 3A to 4A.  If I recall correctly, they were then bumped to 4A but their enrollment fell to 2A at the same time.  They still had to spend 2 years in 4A but then only dropped down to 3A (even though their enrollment was 2A by that time).  They then had to spend 2 more years in 3A before they could go back to 2A.  In summary, it took them 4 years to get back to the class that actually matched their size.

Memorial now has 2 points which will keep them in 4A during the next cycle.  They need 4 more points to move up to 5A.  Basically you receive 1 point for every “level” you win.  One point each for Sectional, Regional, Semi-State and State cumulatively.

Sorry for the digression. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arrow95 said:

Most in SW Indiana notice, as much as they won’t admit it.......even those on Coal Mine Road!!  

The last 4 plus years have been a helluva run in several sports at EM. 

Edited by Screagle

EM opens as the favorite.  Not sure that’s accurate considering the bump in class. It’s going to take another big game from the defense. Really surprised how EM dominated Mooresville’s OL. It wasn’t just the Combs kid. Most of EM DL won their matchups all night, especially #69. 

• Like 4

Mount Vernon (Fortville) (11-2) at Evansville Memorial (11-1)
GAME TIME: 7 pm CT, Enlow Field.
COACHES: Mike Kirschner, 18-6 in 2nd year at Mount Vernon, 127-68 in 17th year overall. John Hurley, 98-55 in 12th year at Memorial.
SAGARIN RATINGS: Memorial, 74.8, 47th overall, 7th in 4A. Mount Vernon, 68.53, 67th overall, 15th in 4A.
LAST OUTING: Mount Vernon defeated Indianapolis Roncalli, 25-17. Memorial defeated Mooresville, 17-14.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: Mount Vernon 62-80. Memorial 71-59.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: No meetings.
jh PREDICTION: Memorial, 28-21.

www.masseyratings.com www.masseyratings.com
  Mt Vernon-Fort
Fortville, IN, USA
Evansville Mem
Evansville, IN, USA
Actual Score 0 0
Most Likely 12 28
Median 13 28
Mean 14.74 30.45
Win Probability 17% 83%

JH favors Memorial(-7), Massey favors Memorial(-12) too. We might be the favorite, but I would not overlook this Mt Vernon squad. They seem to have a very good defense under the legendary Coach Kirshner from Ben Davis. Go Tigers! FTF!  

12 hours ago, Arrow95 said:

Columbus East and Cathedral both have 4A Titles, and 5A titles, and both bumped up to 6A. (Cathedral has fallen back to 5A). They are the only 2 schools to bump up 2 classes from the success factor. New Pal will more than likely do it as well making them the 3rd to do it. 

Columbus East spent 4 years in 5A.. they lost first round of sectional to New Pal 1 year, State Runner up 1 year, State Champs 1 year, and Semi-State the last year.