Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Linton Miners vs the Thunderbirds of Eastern-Greene

3 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Just curious.  With the advent of open enrollment has there been an influx of transfers from the non-football playing schools in Greene county (Bloomfield,  Shakamak, WRV)  to the likes of Eastern Greene and Linton?

That's been going on for years.  Some kids from WRV transferred just so they could keep playing football.  Several groups of parents have tried to get football started at WRV, but they are like Bloomfield and just stick with basketball.  

6 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

That's been going on for years.  Some kids from WRV transferred just so they could keep playing football.  Several groups of parents have tried to get football started at WRV, but they are like Bloomfield and just stick with basketball

Actually they have both added a fall sport in recent years.  Who needs football when you have fùtball?

• Sit and spin 1

2 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

I hear rain is in the forecast for the game tomorrow night..  I expect that will help keep the score down some.  Slippery footing, wet ball, etc.

Believe you are correct.  Think the rain is supposed to start late Thursday night and continue throughout Friday so I'm picturing a muddy mess of a game.  I hope for no injuries for either team and maybe a little cooperation from mother nature. 

well if it's gonna rain and affect a game.. this is a good one for it to happen on.  COurse, anything can happen on any Friday.  And poor field conditions can make bad things happen.  We've.. at least Linton, have had 7 great nights for football.  I don't want to have a bad weather game when it really matters!  

Speaking of Eastern... I was surprised to see the QB wasn't #12 Lewis but a #10.. who was a freshman last year.. if it's the same kid.  Lewis is playing..but looks like a WB or receiver. I haven't received any info from the Eastern coach or AD for a roster or depth or stats… so I'm running blind!  

8 hours ago, Miner_Pride said:

well if it's gonna rain and affect a game.. this is a good one for it to happen on.  COurse, anything can happen on any Friday.  And poor field conditions can make bad things happen.  We've.. at least Linton, have had 7 great nights for football.  I don't want to have a bad weather game when it really matters!  

Speaking of Eastern... I was surprised to see the QB wasn't #12 Lewis but a #10.. who was a freshman last year.. if it's the same kid.  Lewis is playing..but looks like a WB or receiver. I haven't received any info from the Eastern coach or AD for a roster or depth or stats… so I'm running blind!  

I would agree about the weather.  If it's gong to rain and be sloppy, this is the game to have it.  It seems that Eastern doesn't have much of an offense.  They have been shutout in 4 of their 7 games and have only scored 42 points total in the other 3   So IF Eastern scores, I would think that will be a moral "victory" for them.  They give up an average of 41 points per game on defense.  So it isn't if the Miners will score, but how much will they score?  And I too must say, hopefully the weather isn't a factor towards injuries.  You can expect turnovers in bad weather/sloppy conditions.  Except for the Southridge game, the Miners have been able to overcome turnovers this season.

Being named a coach doesn't mean you are a coach. This big snafu is going to effect the whole system at eastern, pee wee on up. The school needs to step up quickly and get someone in there before the program falls completely apart. The kids are falling off like flies, and will continue if the school doesn't act soon. Maybe that is what the school board wants? Shame.

1 hour ago, southend said:

Being named a coach doesn't mean you are a coach. This big snafu is going to effect the whole system at eastern, pee wee on up. The school needs to step up quickly and get someone in there before the program falls completely apart. The kids are falling off like flies, and will continue if the school doesn't act soon. Maybe that is what the school board wants? Shame.

Considering they are only a couple of years removed from a state title game, it goes beyond a shame.  I'm not exactly sure what you would call it, but I feel for the kids and the fans.

I think the game turned out about as most everyone expected.  I have to say I'm a little disappointed to see the Miners having too many mental mistakes and miscues this late in the season.  I know it was a cold rainy muddy mess, but some things you can't put on the weather. 

9 hours ago, lp3coda said:

I think the game turned out about as most everyone expected.  I have to say I'm a little disappointed to see the Miners having too many mental mistakes and miscues this late in the season.  I know it was a cold rainy muddy mess, but some things you can't put on the weather. 

Agreed.  Too many mental errors for this late in the season.  The final score doesn't matter.  This is one game on Linton's schedule that should be dropped.  The schedule still needs more tweaking.  There is no challenge in games like these, and they do nothing to get you ready for the tournament.  I don't want to hear how it was great for the JV to play the second half.  They play their own games on Monday's.  For what it's worth:  Mater Dei 10  Evansville Central 7.  Central was the 6th ranked team in 4A.  Huge win for MD.  I see a score like that and think, "Linton put up 68...….on a 1A bottom feeder".  Seems rather hollow by comparison.

Edited by itiswhatitis

9 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

Agreed.  Too many mental errors for this late in the season.  The final score doesn't matter.  This is one game on Linton's schedule that should be dropped.  The schedule still needs more tweaking.  There is no challenge in games like these, and they do nothing to get you ready for the tournament.  I don't want to hear how it was great for the JV to play the second half.  They play their own games on Monday's.  For what it's worth:  Mater Dei 10  Evansville Central 7.  Central was the 6th ranked team in 4A.  Huge win for MD.  I see a score like that and think, "Linton put up 68...….on a 1A bottom feeder".  Seems rather hollow by comparison.

you do remember though just back in 2017 Eastern beat us pretty good... Plus they really had been a program on the rise, and also were 2A for a bit.  Obviously we are on two different levels this year.  I am one of perhaps the few who don't think we need to overload the regular season where every game we play bigger schools, and travel further and further. By no means do I want the schedule back in the Southwest 7 days either.  I know Boonville is a short time opponents, and it's harder and harder to find opponents already...Teams are locked into conference deals and I'd hate for us to have an open week.. but I'd hate for us to drive 3 hours for a good opponent.  I like where we are schedule wise... we have some great teams to play.. Monrovia is obviously going thru a bad time..but they normally are one of the toughest teams we play. I love having Southridge, Sullivan.. North V... I think we should always play NK and ND because I just like the history...  Providence?  Well it's been a good back n forth.. but that drive is a doozie!!     As for Mater Dei...  what can be said.  they beat freakin' Evansville Central.  They only lost 10-3 to Memorial, and 13-0 to Castle... they play who they play.   Southridge took them out the last 2 years... it can be done... but we are gonna have to eliminate the penalties, the snap/fumble issues, and get a heckuva lot better against the pass to even stand a chance.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Miner_Pride said:

you do remember though just back in 2017 Eastern beat us pretty good... Plus they really had been a program on the rise, and also were 2A for a bit.  Obviously we are on two different levels this year.  I am one of perhaps the few who don't think we need to overload the regular season where every game we play bigger schools, and travel further and further. By no means do I want the schedule back in the Southwest 7 days either.  I know Boonville is a short time opponents, and it's harder and harder to find opponents already...Teams are locked into conference deals and I'd hate for us to have an open week.. but I'd hate for us to drive 3 hours for a good opponent.  I like where we are schedule wise... we have some great teams to play.. Monrovia is obviously going thru a bad time..but they normally are one of the toughest teams we play. I love having Southridge, Sullivan.. North V... I think we should always play NK and ND because I just like the history...  Providence?  Well it's been a good back n forth.. but that drive is a doozie!!     As for Mater Dei...  what can be said.  they beat freakin' Evansville Central.  They only lost 10-3 to Memorial, and 13-0 to Castle... they play who they play.   Southridge took them out the last 2 years... it can be done... but we are gonna have to eliminate the penalties, the snap/fumble issues, and get a heckuva lot better against the pass to even stand a chance.  

And your point is?  Linton is 18 - 1 against Eastern Greene so except for 2017, we are on different levels EVERY year.   And except for the one loss, most of the games have been blowouts for the Miners.  I too had hopes that EG was on the rise and would be better competition, but in reality they just aren't.  Unless EG can find a head coach who is a "pied pier" and can change the culture, they just aren't going to be good.   As far as Mater Dei is concerned, they make deep tourney runs because of who they play.  Their competition  during the season is above their class so tourney teams aren't as tough for them.  The Miners schedule is MUCH improved, but there is still room for improvement.  Mater Dei plays a schedule that is above 2A competition so when the tourney rolls around, most teams they face aren't as good as what they see every week during the season.  

Personally, I like the design of the Miner schedule.  Especially on the back end.  Gives Linton a chance to heal up, and not come into the sectionals exhausted and busted up playing a bruising schedule at the end of regular season. 

I can only hope they don't have a short term memory issue and forget how they played early on against teams that many consider much more formidable opponents. 

8 hours ago, lp3coda said:

Personally, I like the design of the Miner schedule.  Especially on the back end.  Gives Linton a chance to heal up, and not come into the sectionals exhausted and busted up playing a bruising schedule at the end of regular season. 

I can only hope they don't have a short term memory issue and forget how they played early on against teams that many consider much more formidable opponents. 

That's another thing about the current schedule, it's front loaded.  I get that it's difficult to move games around.  It would involve several teams and that is practically impossible to do.  I'd' rather see them have a couple of tough games and then a winnable game right after.   Of course I'd rather see them not have those winnable games at all.   I'd love to see them have 50/50 games every week.  It would not only make for an exciting season but would keep the team sharp right up to tournament time.  I'd rather see them play games when the JV only got to play in mop up duty in the fourth quarter and not playing an entire second half.  Injuries happen to all teams.  Don't forget:  "next man up!"  I like having Providence the last game.  They are a 2A team and so far have played the Miners tough in the 2 games they've played.  A good season ender.   Would like to see us renew a series with Northview and drop EG, North Daviess, or North Knox.  Would also like to see them pick up a team like Edgewood and maybe Owen Valley.  Or what about one of the Terre Haute or Bloomington schools?   I get that the Miners may only win one out of 10 games against those schools, but it's the competition.  I'd take a 3 loss team playing for a state title rather one that is 9 - 0 playing cupcakes and not getting out of their sectional or regional.  There is no glory in beating weak teams 60 - 0 week after week.  I get that Mater Dei is in a conference, but their tournament success is tied to that weekly competition.  You think another 2A team is going to be as good as a 5A Castle team or a 4A Central team?  With the Miners being independent, they can schedule whomever the please (as long as teams are willing).  I'd like to see it (the schedule) get tweaked  a bit more is what I'm saying.

Edited by itiswhatitis

I doubt there are too many programs out there that have what they consider to be a "perfect" schedule.  I give props to our administration for getting the schedule we have and as I said before I like it.  I think the schedule has come a LONG way from the days of the SW7 when we constantly got knocked for our SOS. 

I suspect the AD is always looking at little tweaks here and there, but between travel and other teams locked into conferences it probably is a challenge.  Don't forget....there are those teams that Linton has reached out to and they've politely declined to even play us (for whatever reason). So that doesn't help matters. 

Seems like the team and AD are trying for a challenging schedule, sometimes they just have to play the hand they are dealt.  I hope nobody thinks Linton is just looking for a soft regular season because in my eyes nothing could be further from the truth. 

Just my 2 cents again.