500 Post Club

• Booster 2014-15
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • LocationLeo, Indiana
  • High School:Leo
  • Position:Fan

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:52 AM

This should be fun to watch this year.  Keep us updated Halfback.

#32 fbofficial

fbofficial

100 Post Club

• Varsity
  • Pip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne
  • High School:Unbiased Official
  • Position:Official

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

Catching ball behind LOS doesn't matter. The difference between a catch and a run is whether the ball was thrown forward or backward.

Think of it this way, had the ball hit the ground would it have been whistled dead for an incomplete pass (a reception) or been a live ball because of a backward pass (a run).

2 of his catches were later deemed rushes as he caught them behind the line of scrimmage. The official numbers are now 17 carries for 191 yards. Less than 2000 yards from the record now.

#33 halfbackpass

halfbackpass

300 Post Club

• Varsity
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationElwood
  • High School:Elwood

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

Catching ball behind LOS doesn't matter. The difference between a catch and a run is whether the ball was thrown forward or backward.

Think of it this way, had the ball hit the ground would it have been whistled dead for an incomplete pass (a reception) or been a live ball because of a backward pass (a run).

I didn't word my previous post correctly. The passes were thrown backwards but the statistician incorrectly marked them. If he would've dropped them, it would've been a live ball. 

#34 ths81

ths81

100 Post Club

• Varsity
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationTipton
  • High School:Tipton

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

I don't care either way... but both passes were swing passes out of the backfield. 

#35 fbofficial

fbofficial

100 Post Club

• Varsity
  • Pip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

It is uncommon to see that once in a game let alone twice.

I didn't word my previous post correctly. The passes were thrown backwards but the statistician incorrectly marked them. If he would've dropped them, it would've been a live ball. 

Edited by fbofficial, 29 August 2013 - 02:35 PM.

#36 Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg

200 Post Club

• Varsity
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationIndiana
  • High School:Waldron

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

It is uncommon to see that once in a game let alone twice.

Unless you have a dynamic RB and you are trying to find other ways to get him the ball. Nothing fishy about this.

Maybe Mireles was really smart and ran his swing route really deep so he could get the rushing yards!

#37 halfbackpass

halfbackpass

300 Post Club

• Varsity
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationElwood

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

Unless you have a dynamic RB and you are trying to find other ways to get him the ball. Nothing fishy about this.

Maybe Mireles was really smart and ran his swing route really deep so he could get the rushing yards!

Lol. I don't understand fbofficial's skepticism. Being an official I figured you've seen a backwards swing pass out of a shotgun formation before. It's happened a lot in fantasy football where a QB gets snubbed out of passing yards after a play is reviewed after the game.

#38 fbofficial

fbofficial

100 Post Club

• Varsity
  • Pip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

More common in the NFL and college than in HS where the QB's are much more accurate.  Most coaches want the swing pass to be forward and incomplete if not possessed. 

A common pregame question to the coaches asks about these sort of plays.  I have yet to have a coach tell me it is meant to be backwards unless they are planning a backward pass followed by a forward pass. 

Lol. I don't understand fbofficial's skepticism. Being an official I figured you've seen a backwards swing pass out of a shotgun formation before. It's happened a lot in fantasy football where a QB gets snubbed out of passing yards after a play is reviewed after the game.

#39 93_knight

93_knight
  • Jr. Varsity
  • 28 posts
  • Locationfort wayne
  • High School:FW Luers
  • Position:Alumni

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

Seems like a lot. Good luck to the young man.

#40 PHJIndy

PHJIndy

900 Post Club

• Varsity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • High School:I. Cathedral

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:54 PM

I often thought how many yards Otis Shannon would have had if he played the entire game every week.

His record of 489 yards in one game will be difficult to ever break though!

#41 Mustang06

Mustang06

600 Post Club

• Varsity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationKingman, IN
  • High School:Fountain Cent.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

I often thought how many yards Otis Shannon would have had if he played the entire game every week.

Was done last year.

http://tribstar.com/...rd-effort/print

#42 halfbackpass

halfbackpass

300 Post Club

• Varsity
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationElwood

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:05 PM

I think Sammy had 424 in a game as a sophomore. We won 27-21 so every yard was needed.

You bring up a good point about Otis that I never even thought about. Him playing on such a great team meant that he didn't get to run the rock as much as he should've. I guess the great equalizer between him and Sammy would be that Otis played a lot of postseason games while Sammy has only played in 4 in his first three years.

#43 PHJIndy

PHJIndy

900 Post Club

• Varsity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • High School:I. Cathedral

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

Was done last year.

http://tribstar.com/...rd-effort/print

I've not heard of that player or his "record."

If you check the IHSAA records you will find that Otis' 489 yards at Cincinnati LaSalle is still the record.

BTW, the Irish trailed 14-0 in that game before they even ran an offensive play.  They came back to 

win 34-24, so all of Shannon's yard were needed!

Here are the official IHSAA records and as you can see Shannon's 489 is still the record for 

rushing yards in a game!

http://ifca.zebras.n...ate_records.htm

Edited by PHJIndy, 30 August 2013 - 08:55 AM.

#44 CoachDale

CoachDale

700 Post Club

• Coach
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationThe Phi
  • High School:Twin Lakes
  • Position:Coach

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:11 AM

I'd be more inclined to say Law's rushing scoring records will be much harder to break

#45 halfbackpass

halfbackpass

300 Post Club

• Varsity
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationElwood

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

I've not heard of that player or his "record."

If you check the IHSAA records you will find that Otis' 489 yards at Cincinnati LaSalle is still the record.

BTW, the Irish trailed 14-0 in that game before they even ran an offensive play.  They came back to 

win 34-24, so all of Shannon's yard were needed!

Here are the official IHSAA records and as you can see Shannon's 489 is still the record for 

rushing yards in a game!

http://ifca.zebras.n...ate_records.htm

That's awesome. I remember watching Otis in the North/South All Star Game when I was younger. My cousin was on the South team and they had Jay Cutler, Courtney Roby, Otis Shannon, Jeremy Trueblood, Steve Weatherford and still lost the game if I remember correctly. 4 future NFL players on the South roster. Crazy stuff!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users