#1 TheSpinDoctor

TheSpinDoctor
  • Jr. Varsity
  • 16 posts
  • LocationKokomo, Ind
  • High School:Kokomo
  • Position:Media

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:29 PM

My rankings and thoughts for the Associated Press Indiana High School Football Polls for the upcoming week.

http://siglerjosh.wo...s-after-week-1/

#2 Royal Pride

Royal Pride

100 Post Club

• Varsity
  • Pip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationWilkinson
  • High School:Eastern Hancock
  • Position:Fan

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:33 PM

You have Sheridan 4th and 5th in 1a :)

#3 TheSpinDoctor

TheSpinDoctor
  • Jr. Varsity
  • 16 posts
  • LocationKokomo, Ind
  • High School:Kokomo
  • Position:Media

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:40 PM

That's fixed. Thank you.

#4 PHJIndy

PHJIndy

700 Post Club

• Varsity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • High School:I. Cathedral
  • Position:Alumni

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:48 PM

Cathedral loses to 6A #2 with 50 seconds to play and drops three spots???? :rolleyes:

That's why polls are worthless during the season!  It's all about the W's and L's.

The only poll that really counts occurs the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving!!!

#5 Coach Nowlin

Coach Nowlin

MAYOR

• Athletic Director
  • 3,398 posts
  • LocationCrown Point IN
  • High School:Rensselaer
  • Position:Coach

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:49 PM

Thanks for sharing!!!  Love the AP perspective and rationale to your selections. 

#6 Andy G

Andy G

800 Post Club

• Booster 2013-14
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • LocationRoyal Center, IN
  • High School:Pioneer

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:35 AM

Winamac beat Knox 56-14, not 36-14.

#7 Johnny Football

Johnny Football

Banned for Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationPulaski County
  • High School:Winamac

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:19 AM

Winamac beat Knox 56-14, not 36-14.

and could have easily been 70-0 if they didn't pull their starters out with 10 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

#8 Staxawax

Staxawax

100 Post Club

• Booster 2013-14
  • Pip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationAvon, IN
  • High School:Avon

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

"HSE scored a big morale-boosting win over Avon to bump them up in the standings."

Well, no.  HSE expects to win this game and they were the better team.  No morale boost here.  And, I don't believe they are better than Pike or Warren.

#9 EFB

EFB

1000 Post Club

• Varsity
  • 1,139 posts
  • LocationParadise City Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.
  • High School:Orleans

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:06 AM

1A:  Your voting for the programs not for the teams that are on the field this year.  Both Pioneer and Sheridan lost a LOT of very good players from last year. 

***Pioneer had just 29 yards rushing and 48 yards passing FOR THE WHOLE GAME http://pharostribune...in-county-clash

This is what is a shame about HS sports journalism it is all based on name recognition, heaven forbid journalist actually go out and watch or research the teams in a particular class.

I think in Ft Wayne they have what 3 football teams, anyway that is the feeling you get when reading the two newspapers in that city (Snider, Dwenger, and Luers)

Heaven forbid anyone (Sports writer) cover the actual football teams of IPS. 

You probably do not even know where most of the 1A schools are located let alone what players they have or their prospects. 

Believe this, at least 10 to 15 teams in 1A could beat either Sheridan or Pioneer this year.  You have no clue about 1A at all.

Shame no wonder the AP poll is not taken seriously.

Edited by EFB, 25 August 2013 - 08:31 AM.

#10 AverageAmericanMale

AverageAmericanMale

600 Post Club

• Varsity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on a pale blue dot.
  • High School:Penn

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:21 AM

#6-10 in 5A... woof, still as top heavy as it ever was. Once/if Cathedral/Snider bump that'll be one watered down class of football.

#11 AverageAmericanMale

AverageAmericanMale

600 Post Club

• Varsity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on a pale blue dot.
  • High School:Penn

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:27 AM

Cathedral loses to 6A #2 with 50 seconds to play and drops three spots???? :rolleyes:

That's why polls are worthless during the season!  It's all about the W's and L's.

The only poll that really counts occurs the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving!!!

Despite this you still seem to care.

1A:  Your voting for the programs not for the teams that are on the field this year.  Both Pioneer and Sheridan lost a LOT of very good players from last year. 

This is what is a shame about HS sports journalism it is all based on name recognition, heaven forbid journalist actually go out and watch or research the teams in a particular class.

I think in Ft Wayne they have what 3 football teams, anyway that is the feeling you get when reading the two newspapers in that city (Snider, Dwenger, and Luers)

Heaven forbid anyone (Sports writer) cover the actual football teams of IPS. 

You probably do not even know where most of the 1A schools are located let alone what players they have or their prospects. 

Believe this, at least 10 to 15 teams in 1A could beat either Sheridan or Pioneer this year.  You have no clue about 1A at all.

Shame no wonder the AP poll is not taken seriously.

Heaven forbid anyone expects a poll to be accurate after week 1. Even Sagarin needs a few weeks. 

#12 EFB

EFB

1000 Post Club

• Varsity
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:33 AM

Heaven forbid anyone expects a poll to be accurate after week 1. Even Sagarin needs a few weeks. 

Of course most polls are never totally accurate, it is just the thought that knowing he is just voting for the programs and not the teams on the field this year or their potential.

This happens way too much, especially from people who are professionals who get paid for knowing what they should about HS sports.

To me they are short changing teams that deserve recognition for being potentially better.

We had the first poll it was understood why Pioneer and Sheridan were # 1 because of the programs not their prospects or potential.

Only time will tell that is why we play the season. 

**Pioneer had just 29 yards rushing and 48 yards passing FOR THE WHOLE GAME http://pharostribune...in-county-clash

Western Boone lost their QB from last year who accounted for over 3000 yards.

Stats from game with Sheridan:

WEBO:  http://www.varvee.co...atistics/113371

Sheridan:  Austin Hoover great RB pretty much was the offense for Sheridan had 221 Yards. 

http://www.varvee.co...atistics/113317

Edited by EFB, 25 August 2013 - 08:46 AM.

#13 foxbat

foxbat

900 Post Club

• Varsity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLafayette, IN
  • High School:Lafayette CC

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:11 AM

Of course most polls are never totally accurate, it is just the thought that knowing he is just voting for the programs and not the teams on the field this year or their potential.

This happens way too much, especially from people who are professionals who get paid for knowing what they should about HS sports.

To me they are short changing teams that deserve recognition for being potentially better.

We had the first poll it was understood why Pioneer and Sheridan were # 1 because of the programs not their prospects or potential.

Only time will tell that is why we play the season. 

**Pioneer had just 29 yards rushing and 48 yards passing FOR THE WHOLE GAME http://pharostribune...in-county-clash

Pioneer lost to #6 2A Cass.  The 48 yards passing are 21 more yards than they put up last year in their passing game against Cass.  The total yards that they put up against Cass are about half what they did last season ... yep, Pioneer only put up about 150 yards total last season against Cass.  As I posted over in the 1A Progress thread, I doubt that the coaches' poll, much less the AP poll, are going to banish Pioneer from the Top 10 ... and it has nothing to do with last year's reputation.  In your poll, you banished them to #19.  Cass is a solid team and the only reason they aren't yet ranked higher in 2A is because there's a logjam in those top spots that got a little looser with HC losing, but they were #5 and lost to resounding #1 Ritter.

Sheridan was dropped by WeBo, which isn't surprising for a 1A/3A match-up where the 3A school is in the others receiving votes.  It also fits with what was expected given Sheridan's performance last season against WeBo and their rebuild year this season.  In your poll you demoted Sheridan to #18, yet promoted Carroll in a 6 spot jump to #4, from the Coaches' Poll #10 spot, for a win over Tri-County who's only win last season was over Frontier.  Of interest, as as others have pointed out, the first few weeks of polls really don't mean a whole bunch as you wait to see some performance to match expectations ... however, putting it to a real test will be Week 4 when Carroll travels to Sheridan.  Waiting a a couple more weeks for better accuracy certainly won't kill any of us.

#14 EFB

EFB

1000 Post Club

• Varsity
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

We disagree it seems, no big deal, I have done justice, a team loses most times they fall completly out of the polls.  The Poll was on the 1A thread in discussion no big thing, I hope I have not offended the great programs of Sheridan and Pioneer their accomplishments speak for themselves.

You seem to be overly rebuttalish on here and the 1A thread for some reason how is that 2A thread coming along, where are those 2A fans anyway????

I must say we all have our opinions which is good, I hope that we get more objectivity in HS sports it will do it good.

Edited by EFB, 25 August 2013 - 09:46 AM.

#15 foxbat

foxbat

900 Post Club

• Varsity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLafayette, IN
  • High School:Lafayette CC

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

We disagree it seems, no big deal, I have done justice, a team loses most times they fall completly out of the polls.

You seem to be overly rebuttalish for some reason how is that 2A thread coming along, where are those 2A fans anyway????

It's not a question of overly "rebuttalish" ... it's a question of posting a reply to what I felt seemed to be a kind of over the top reply to someone who was just sharing his thoughts on how he would put up the rankings.  As you said, we don't agree ... I also don't agree completely with the AP 1A ranking as posted in this thread; however, I also didn't feel the necessity to be ungracious in responding ... instead just posting stats.  As I posted over in the 1A Progress thread, I believe that Sheridan/Pioneer will probably end up on the lower end of the Top 10, potentially 7/8 with Pioneer now on top of Sheridan, while the Doctor has them in the middle.  I don't think the coaches will overly punish Sheridan/Pioneer for playing a tougher first game and having less than stellar results, but I also think, the coaches will not keep them up at the top of the polls in recognition of the fact that both teams need to do some growing this season and that there are potentially other strong squads out there in 1A to compete such as Linton who was very convincing Friday night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users