• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

Head Coach Openings 2017   10/29/2016

Frankton: Randy England Franklin Community:  Adam Reese  Chris Coll hired from Tri-West Martinsville: Brad Rose Lake Central: Brett St. Germain South Bend Clay: Craig Redman Boone Grove:  Tony Tinkel  Mooresville:  Chad Dockery  Wood Memorial:  Caleb Cherry Tippecanoe Valley:  Shriver/Norris Corydon Central:  Andrew Smith Calumet New Tech:  Rik Richards Winamac:  Tim Roth  Tri-West: Chris Coll North Central (Indy) Kevin Kreinhagen

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheSpinDoctor

Associated Press Indiana High School Football Polls, Week 2

30 posts in this topic

Cathedral loses to 6A #2 with 50 seconds to play and drops three spots???? :rolleyes:

That's why polls are worthless during the season!  It's all about the W's and L's.

The only poll that really counts occurs the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!  Love the AP perspective and rationale to your selections. 

Winamac beat Knox 56-14, not 36-14.

Winamac beat Knox 56-14, not 36-14.

and could have easily been 70-0 if they didn't pull their starters out with 10 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

"HSE scored a big morale-boosting win over Avon to bump them up in the standings."

Well, no.  HSE expects to win this game and they were the better team.  No morale boost here.  And, I don't believe they are better than Pike or Warren.

1A:  Your voting for the programs not for the teams that are on the field this year.  Both Pioneer and Sheridan lost a LOT of very good players from last year. 

***Pioneer had just 29 yards rushing and 48 yards passing FOR THE WHOLE GAME http://pharostribune.com/localsports/x31530985/Kings-pummel-Panthers-in-county-clash

This is what is a shame about HS sports journalism it is all based on name recognition, heaven forbid journalist actually go out and watch or research the teams in a particular class.

I think in Ft Wayne they have what 3 football teams, anyway that is the feeling you get when reading the two newspapers in that city (Snider, Dwenger, and Luers)

Heaven forbid anyone (Sports writer) cover the actual football teams of IPS. 

You probably do not even know where most of the 1A schools are located let alone what players they have or their prospects. 

Believe this, at least 10 to 15 teams in 1A could beat either Sheridan or Pioneer this year.  You have no clue about 1A at all.

Shame no wonder the AP poll is not taken seriously.

#6-10 in 5A... woof, still as top heavy as it ever was. Once/if Cathedral/Snider bump that'll be one watered down class of football.

Cathedral loses to 6A #2 with 50 seconds to play and drops three spots???? :rolleyes:

That's why polls are worthless during the season!  It's all about the W's and L's.

The only poll that really counts occurs the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving!!!

Despite this you still seem to care.

1A:  Your voting for the programs not for the teams that are on the field this year.  Both Pioneer and Sheridan lost a LOT of very good players from last year. 

This is what is a shame about HS sports journalism it is all based on name recognition, heaven forbid journalist actually go out and watch or research the teams in a particular class.

I think in Ft Wayne they have what 3 football teams, anyway that is the feeling you get when reading the two newspapers in that city (Snider, Dwenger, and Luers)

You probably do not even know where most of the 1A schools are located let alone what players they have or their prospects. 

Believe this, at least 10 to 15 teams in 1A could beat either Sheridan or Pioneer this year.  You have no clue about 1A at all.

Heaven forbid anyone expects a poll to be accurate after week 1. Even Sagarin needs a few weeks. 

Heaven forbid anyone expects a poll to be accurate after week 1. Even Sagarin needs a few weeks. 

Of course most polls are never totally accurate, it is just the thought that knowing he is just voting for the programs and not the teams on the field this year or their potential.

This happens way too much, especially from people who are professionals who get paid for knowing what they should about HS sports.

To me they are short changing teams that deserve recognition for being potentially better.

We had the first poll it was understood why Pioneer and Sheridan were # 1 because of the programs not their prospects or potential.

Only time will tell that is why we play the season. 

**Pioneer had just 29 yards rushing and 48 yards passing FOR THE WHOLE GAME http://pharostribune...in-county-clash

Western Boone lost their QB from last year who accounted for over 3000 yards.

Stats from game with Sheridan:

WEBO:  http://www.varvee.com/team/statistics/113371

Sheridan:  Austin Hoover great RB pretty much was the offense for Sheridan had 221 Yards. 

http://www.varvee.com/team/statistics/113317

Of course most polls are never totally accurate, it is just the thought that knowing he is just voting for the programs and not the teams on the field this year or their potential.

This happens way too much, especially from people who are professionals who get paid for knowing what they should about HS sports.

To me they are short changing teams that deserve recognition for being potentially better.

We had the first poll it was understood why Pioneer and Sheridan were # 1 because of the programs not their prospects or potential.

Only time will tell that is why we play the season. 

**Pioneer had just 29 yards rushing and 48 yards passing FOR THE WHOLE GAME http://pharostribune...in-county-clash

Pioneer lost to #6 2A Cass.  The 48 yards passing are 21 more yards than they put up last year in their passing game against Cass.  The total yards that they put up against Cass are about half what they did last season ... yep, Pioneer only put up about 150 yards total last season against Cass.  As I posted over in the 1A Progress thread, I doubt that the coaches' poll, much less the AP poll, are going to banish Pioneer from the Top 10 ... and it has nothing to do with last year's reputation.  In your poll, you banished them to #19.  Cass is a solid team and the only reason they aren't yet ranked higher in 2A is because there's a logjam in those top spots that got a little looser with HC losing, but they were #5 and lost to resounding #1 Ritter.

Sheridan was dropped by WeBo, which isn't surprising for a 1A/3A match-up where the 3A school is in the others receiving votes.  It also fits with what was expected given Sheridan's performance last season against WeBo and their rebuild year this season.  In your poll you demoted Sheridan to #18, yet promoted Carroll in a 6 spot jump to #4, from the Coaches' Poll #10 spot, for a win over Tri-County who's only win last season was over Frontier.  Of interest, as as others have pointed out, the first few weeks of polls really don't mean a whole bunch as you wait to see some performance to match expectations ... however, putting it to a real test will be Week 4 when Carroll travels to Sheridan.  Waiting a a couple more weeks for better accuracy certainly won't kill any of us.

We disagree it seems, no big deal, I have done justice, a team loses most times they fall completly out of the polls.  The Poll was on the 1A thread in discussion no big thing, I hope I have not offended the great programs of Sheridan and Pioneer their accomplishments speak for themselves.

You seem to be overly rebuttalish on here and the 1A thread for some reason how is that 2A thread coming along, where are those 2A fans anyway????

I must say we all have our opinions which is good, I hope that we get more objectivity in HS sports it will do it good.

We disagree it seems, no big deal, I have done justice, a team loses most times they fall completly out of the polls.

You seem to be overly rebuttalish for some reason how is that 2A thread coming along, where are those 2A fans anyway????

It's not a question of overly "rebuttalish" ... it's a question of posting a reply to what I felt seemed to be a kind of over the top reply to someone who was just sharing his thoughts on how he would put up the rankings.  As you said, we don't agree ... I also don't agree completely with the AP 1A ranking as posted in this thread; however, I also didn't feel the necessity to be ungracious in responding ... instead just posting stats.  As I posted over in the 1A Progress thread, I believe that Sheridan/Pioneer will probably end up on the lower end of the Top 10, potentially 7/8 with Pioneer now on top of Sheridan, while the Doctor has them in the middle.  I don't think the coaches will overly punish Sheridan/Pioneer for playing a tougher first game and having less than stellar results, but I also think, the coaches will not keep them up at the top of the polls in recognition of the fact that both teams need to do some growing this season and that there are potentially other strong squads out there in 1A to compete such as Linton who was very convincing Friday night.

We disagree it seems, no big deal, I have done justice, a team loses most times they fall completly out of the polls

Not true. Sheridan lost their first 2 games last year and were still ranked in the top ten.They lost 2 more games before the regular season was over and were still ranked. They went on to play in the Semi-State. Many other examples of teams losing and remaining ranked.

It's not a question of overly "rebuttalish" ... it's a question of posting a reply to what I felt seemed to be a kind of over the top reply to someone who was just sharing his thoughts on how he would put up the rankings.  As you said, we don't agree ... I also don't agree completely with the AP 1A ranking as posted in this thread; however, I also didn't feel the necessity to be ungracious in responding ... instead just posting stats.  As I posted over in the 1A Progress thread, I believe that Sheridan/Pioneer will probably end up on the lower end of the Top 10, potentially 7/8 with Pioneer now on top of Sheridan, while the Doctor has them in the middle.  I don't think the coaches will overly punish Sheridan/Pioneer for playing a tougher first game and having less than stellar results, but I also think, the coaches will not keep them up at the top of the polls in recognition of the fact that both teams need to do some growing this season and that there are potentially other strong squads out there in 1A to compete such as Linton who was very convincing Friday night.

I thought what I posted needed to be said IMO. far too many times we get these indications.  Hopefully we may get someone to actually write an article on the IPS schools, Indianapolis is our largest city. 

Only time will tell after this week both Pioneer and Sheridan could be 1-1 or 0-2,  you say punish, no I say being honest with my opinions. they get the benefit of doubt, where as another team may not get the recognition they deserve.

We have a team in Indianapolis Howe that potentially could win the 1A championship, have you read anything about them,  They have 2 D-1 players on their team according to user Howe both are basketball D-1 prospects.  He says no team in 1A will have more athletisism than Howe.  Howe schedule is a good one for a 1A team.  Yet we hear nor see any mention of them in any poll or paper.  Maybe we will maybe we will not, but if I am a sportswriter I sure would like to check them out because they have potential.  Plus would it really hurt to give an IPS school some pub for once really!!

You like me have no idea exactly how the 1A season is going to turn out, one thing is, it is going to be unpredictable.  Not easy trying to predict the unpredictable, but it is fun :)

I thought what I posted needed to be said IMO. far too many times we get these indications.  Hopefully we may get someone to actually write an article on the IPS schools, Indianapolis is our largest city. 

Only time will tell after this week both Pioneer and Sheridan could be 1-1 or 0-2,  you say punish, no I say being honest with my opinions. they get the benefit of doubt, where as another team may not get the recognition they deserve.

We have a team in Indianapolis Howe that potentially could win the 1A championship, have you read anything about them,  They have 2 D-1 players on their team according to user Howe both are basketball D-1 prospects.  He says no team in 1A will have more athletisism than Howe.  Howe schedule is a good one for a 1A team.  Yet we hear nor see any mention of them in any poll or paper.  Maybe we will maybe we will not, but if I am a sportswriter I sure would like to check them out because they have potential.  Plus would it really hurt to give an IPS school some pub for once really!!

You like me have no idea exactly how the 1A season is going to turn out, one thing is, it is going to be unpredictable.  Not easy trying to predict the unpredictable, but it is fun :)

Yes, I know about Howe ... I pointed them out way before most of the GID realized that they had dropped down from 3A to 1A this season.  They play a relatively strong schedule for a 1A team, some of which is due to previous scheduling.  Whether they maintain that or adjust it remains to be seen.

Not true. Sheridan lost their first 2 games last year and were still ranked in the top ten.They lost 2 more games before the regular season was over and were still ranked. They went on to play in the Semi-State. Many other examples of teams losing and remaining ranked.

Last season, LCC dropped from #1 to #3 after having their winning streak snapped by unranked 3A CMA.

Despite this you still seem to care.

Not as much as you do!

I wouldn't be so quick to discount Zionsville's 14-7 win over Lafayette Jeff. First of all, it's Week One and Zionsville kept Lafayette Jeff's high-powered offense out of the end zone until the game's last offensive play. Lafayette Jeff will surprise some people this year with arguably the speediest one-two punch in quarterback Matt Johnson (the state's reigning 100-meter dash champion) and tailback Darian Green (a Ball State recruit). And, Jeff has a very quick and efficient defense, led by speed safety Dennis Archibald. HCC teams better not overlook the Broncos -- just ask Avon. Besides, Andy Kennedy is probably my favorite coach in the HCC. Good luck to Lafayette Jeff. I'm glad the Eagles played them in Week One and not Week Ten!

I wouldn't be so quick to discount Zionsville's 14-7 win over Lafayette Jeff. First of all, it's Week One and Zionsville kept Lafayette Jeff's high-powered offense out of the end zone until the game's last offensive play. Lafayette Jeff will surprise some people this year with arguably the speediest one-two punch in quarterback Matt Johnson (the state's reigning 100-meter dash champion) and tailback Darian Green (a Ball State recruit). And, Jeff has a very quick and efficient defense, led by speed safety Dennis Archibald. HCC teams better not overlook the Broncos -- just ask Avon. Besides, Andy Kennedy is probably my favorite coach in the HCC. Good luck to Lafayette Jeff. I'm glad the Eagles played them in Week One and not Week Ten!

If Jeff had more improved special teams, they might well have pulled off an upset over Zionsville last Friday.  Jeff missed two field goals and had one blocked.  In addition, they had a punt blocked that set up Zionsville for that second insurance TD that turned out to be the difference in the game ... before that second score it was only 6-0.  Jeff's going to hopefully surprise some folks this season.

***Pioneer had just 29 yards rushing and 48 yards passing FOR THE WHOLE GAME http://pharostribune.com/localsports/x31530985/Kings-pummel-Panthers-in-county-clash

...just win.

If you think journalists are supposed to know all the teams across the entire state like the back of their hand you're off your rocker

I have no problem with the disagreements with the polls. While I stand by them, I think constructive criticism is necessary for someone in a position such as the one I'm in as a voter.

The only thing I will say about the polls, and this will be the only thing I say the rest of the season outside of the rationale I give on my blog posts -- If you claim these polls are irrelevent, you're kidding yourself. They're pretty much the only polls published in the daily newspapers in this state. If they were irrelevent, they wouldn't stir up conversation and debate, which is the exclusive reason I chose to let people see my votes and thoughts. With the implement of web-based media since the turn of the century, it's not all that difficult to read up on teams around the state. Don't be so quick to judge. The people who are chosen to vote in these polls take the responsibility very seriously.

If you aren't satisfied with the coverage of schools in your area, in this case Indianpolis, call the Star and speak up. 

I have no problem with the disagreements with the polls. While I stand by them, I think constructive criticism is necessary for someone in a position such as the one I'm in as a voter.

The only thing I will say about the polls, and this will be the only thing I say the rest of the season outside of the rationale I give on my blog posts -- If you claim these polls are irrelevent, you're kidding yourself. They're pretty much the only polls published in the daily newspapers in this state. If they were irrelevent, they wouldn't stir up conversation and debate, which is the exclusive reason I chose to let people seem my votes and thoughts. With the implement of web-based media since the turn of the century, it's not all that difficult to read up on teams around the state. Don't be so quick to judge. The people who are chosen to vote in these polls take the responsibility very seriously.

If you aren't satisfied with the coverage of schools in your area, in this case Indianpolis, call the Star and speak up. 

Nice post I will leave it at that,  Maybe I will not, I agree polls are relevant or the GID would not do one, or the coaches.   Many times when media refers to a team they say they are highly ranked or give their ranked position.  It also means a lot to the Coaches, Players, and Fans.  Matches are hyped when two highly ranked teams meet no matter if they deserve the ranking or not.  I hope your right about the AP media who vote in these polls, at times it seem not to agree, with the general consensus.

I think the Indy Star is looking at it from a economic standpoint, their or most of their customer reader base is in the suburbs not in the city proper, so we have much more suburban coverage.  It would be great to see more coverage ot the IPS school football programs.  Indy Marshall would be another program to look at besides, Indy Tech and Indy Howe.