Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Region Pre Season Top 10

Guest DT

Great rightup by VikingNation from The RSN

1. Valpo- Great run last year and bring back some solid talent including IU Commit Cooper Jones. Coach Marshall will have these guys ready to make another run
2. Merrillville- Another team who had a great run last year and acquired some Division 1 talent via transfers Jojo Johnson and Dierre Kelly from Morton.
3. Hobart- Great run last year and the defending NCC champions. Bobby Babcock and Zach Vode have a number of D1 offers and will lead one of the best defensive units in the Region.
4. Andrean- Team was a year ahead of schedule last year and is looking to end their season in Lucas Oil come November. They bring back 8 starters on offense and 7 Starters on defense. Led by D1 Recruit Nick Flesher at WR and 2019 Times Offensive Player of the Year RB Ryan Walsh, the Niners could be lethal come sectional time.
5. Chesterton- Mullen was one of top QBs in the area and is poised to have another great season.
6. Morton- Yes they lost 2 D1 players but they still have Ball State Commit LT Phil Gunn and a lot of other talented players that could lead to a winning season for Morton.
7. Crown Point- Will Petitt has been the QB now since his sophomore year and needs to make some noise this season. Granger always has the CP Defense ready to play and you know they want another shot at the Pirates after last year's sectional loss.
8. Calumet- Mark Flores had a good year leading the Warriors last year and Rick Goode has done a great job since he has taken over.
9. Portage- If there is one thing you know, Russ Radtke may be crazy but he is a winner. This will not be the same Portage team of the last few years.
10. Lowell- RDP did not show up last year and you have to imagine that with second year QB Cam Stojaevic (Sp) the Red Devils will be improved.

Region football clearly appears to be on the upswing.  Hopefully the virus wont derail or curtail the season.

We are starting to once again see the Region produce D1 talent.  Coaching turnover is looking better and staff experience is on the upswing.  Russ Radtke's return is a big boost to NWI football and to The Duneland Conference in general.  

The Hammond schools have a chance to give Region football another positive shot in the arm.  Will see how that plays out over the next few seasons.

Edited by DT

1 hour ago, DT said:

Region football clearly appears to be on the upswing.  Hopefully the virus wont derail or curtail the season.

We are starting to once again see the Region produce D1 talent.  Coaching turnover is looking better and staff experience is on the upswing.  Russ Radtke's return is a big boost to NWI football and to The Duneland Conference in general.  

The Hammond schools have a chance to give Region football another positive shot in the arm.  Will see how that plays out over the next few seasons.

I think the riots have canceled the “virus”. 

See you 8/14. 

Come see Portage at Munster. I’ll buy you a pop and popcorn. 

3 hours ago, DT said:

No they are not    Take another look

I'm so used to seeing your rankings that I overlooked it. Thank you for pointing that out. It wasn't meant in jest - only good fun. As a side note -  I go back and forth with you at times on this forum, but in no way do I dislike what you post.

38 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

Only took you 2.5 days to think up this question?

Im not as sharp as I used to be.  🥴

I was going to put The Ville at #1 until I read Maximus Aurelius Grimes is heading to Valpo. I'll go with: 

1. Valpo - Are they on a mission or will they have a letdown year? Week 1 against Penn is a great litmus test for both teams

2. Merrillville - 2 D1 transfers from Hammond Morton, one of which is Cincinnati bound playmaker JoJo Johnson who can break a run or catch at any moment. With Carmel out of the picture, the Pirates should be able to go toe to to with anyone in the North. 

3. Hobart - The Bricks are in good hands with Ex Brickie/IU Hoosier Craig Osika. Would like to see them at least split their first two games. Chesterton and The Ville will be tough for the 4A squad.

4. Andrean - Two tough openers as well for the 59'ers. At Merrillville and then home against Illinois lower class powerhouse Immaculate Prep out of Elmhurst in the Western Chicago 'burbs. 

5. Portage - Going with the homer pick here, but I think Radtke quickly turns the Red Tribe around. 

6. Michigan City - Predicting a bounce back year for Mason. If not, does he see a drop in talent and start looking to jump ship? Tommy had been warning us the talent pool at City was about to go dry. We'll see. 

7. Chesterton - Cheese Town returns a solid QB and is coming off a 6-4 season that ended with 7 point losses to Merrillville and Warsaw. The Trojans will be tested early with an opener against Hobart and a trip to Chicago's South Side in week 2 to take on Catholic League power Chicago St. Rita and then Michigan City in Week 3.

8. Lowell - RDP has too much pride for another 5 season

9. Crown Point - The 'Dogs will take a lot of L's this year, but they should be fairly competitive

10. Highland - Breakout year for Pete Koulianos gets DT excited. 

9 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I was going to put The Ville at #1 until I read Maximus Aurelius Grimes is heading to Valpo. I'll go with: 

1. Valpo - Are they on a mission or will they have a letdown year? Week 1 against Penn is a great litmus test for both teams

2. Merrillville - 2 D1 transfers from Hammond Morton, one of which is Cincinnati bound playmaker JoJo Johnson who can break a run or catch at any moment. With Carmel out of the picture, the Pirates should be able to go toe to to with anyone in the North. 

3. Hobart - The Bricks are in good hands with Ex Brickie/IU Hoosier Craig Osika. Would like to see them at least split their first two games. Chesterton and The Ville will be tough for the 4A squad.

4. Andrean - Two tough openers as well for the 59'ers. At Merrillville and then home against Illinois lower class powerhouse Immaculate Prep out of Elmhurst in the Western Chicago 'burbs. 

5. Portage - Going with the homer pick here, but I think Radtke quickly turns the Red Tribe around. 

6. Michigan City - Predicting a bounce back year for Mason. If not, does he see a drop in talent and start looking to jump ship? Tommy had been warning us the talent pool at City was about to go dry. We'll see. 

7. Chesterton - Cheese Town returns a solid QB and is coming off a 6-4 season that ended with 7 point losses to Merrillville and Warsaw. The Trojans will be tested early with an opener against Hobart and a trip to Chicago's South Side in week 2 to take on Catholic League power Chicago St. Rita and then Michigan City in Week 3.

8. Lowell - RDP has too much pride for another 5 season

9. Crown Point - The 'Dogs will take a lot of L's this year, but they should be fairly competitive

10. Highland - Breakout year for Pete Koulianos gets DT excited. 

Love to see the Trojans in the Top 10 but I need to see some 'W"s before I drink the Koolaid.   Id slot Morton, Laporte and even Lake Central ahead of Highland at this point.

Overall, looks like a much improved Region football outlook.  

I agree with VikingNation's Top 5.

1. Valpo - with Grimes transfer clear pre season #1, he would of looked good in a Niner uniform!!

2. Merrillville - always loaded with talent and they get even more with Morton transfers. Pirates will be right there with Valpo

3. Hobart - return a lot of athletes, experienced qb, have a lot of confidence, good schedule with conference title between them and Niners

4. Andrean - almost same comments as Hobart except QB comment, who is going to lead this offense that has a ton of talent and size?

5. Chesterton - all rides on the arm of QB Mullen, a qb with his talent at the hs level can carry you a long way!

6. Crown Point - defense is always solid and Petit at QB with another year of experience will only help. Maybe they will open up the offense more....doubt it.

7. Portage - RR will get them to play physical and with their numbers will find a qb to run his offense.

8. Highland - Coach K is a great coach, they made big strides last year and I see them only improving as long as he is there.

9. Morton - even with transfers, shelves not bare from a talent perspective, new HC with new system, they will be better come playoff time

10. KV - much improved last year, physical team, returning QB?, this program going in the right direction 

I debated #10 between Lowell, KV, and RC. I did not like what I saw in Lowell last year, just don't know if talent level is down. RC is always solid but they did lose a lot from last year but it is a unique system there and they have a rb returning this year from injury that is supposed to be a stud.

Let's all hope we will have a full season. We need high school sports back, heck all sports back for that matter!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RegionFBFan said:

I agree with VikingNation's Top 5.

1. Valpo - with Grimes transfer clear pre season #1, he would of looked good in a Niner uniform!!

2. Merrillville - always loaded with talent and they get even more with Morton transfers. Pirates will be right there with Valpo

3. Hobart - return a lot of athletes, experienced qb, have a lot of confidence, good schedule with conference title between them and Niners

4. Andrean - almost same comments as Hobart except QB comment, who is going to lead this offense that has a ton of talent and size?

5. Chesterton - all rides on the arm of QB Mullen, a qb with his talent at the hs level can carry you a long way!

6. Crown Point - defense is always solid and Petit at QB with another year of experience will only help. Maybe they will open up the offense more....doubt it.

7. Portage - RR will get them to play physical and with their numbers will find a qb to run his offense.

8. Highland - Coach K is a great coach, they made big strides last year and I see them only improving as long as he is there.

9. Morton - even with transfers, shelves not bare from a talent perspective, new HC with new system, they will be better come playoff time

10. KV - much improved last year, physical team, returning QB?, this program going in the right direction 

I debated #10 between Lowell, KV, and RC. I did not like what I saw in Lowell last year, just don't know if talent level is down. RC is always solid but they did lose a lot from last year but it is a unique system there and they have a rb returning this year from injury that is supposed to be a stud.

Let's all hope we will have a full season. We need high school sports back, heck all sports back for that matter!

RC is not considered a "Region" nor "Area" team.  "NWI?"  Perhaps

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

1.  Valpo

2.  Merrillville 

3.  Michigan City 

4.  Chesterton

5.  Lowell

6.  Andrean

7.  LaPorte

8.  Morton

9.  Crown Point

10.  Hobart

Very solid.  I like your approach to Hobart.  They need to prove it first.  And I like how you give credit to Lowell based on their historical strength, despite the early naysayers.  .  They've earned it.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YadFEDZPLWU

Edited by DT

39 minutes ago, DT said:

RC is not considered a "Region" nor "Area" team.  "NWI?"  Perhaps

Very solid.  I like your approach to Hobart.  They need to prove it first.  And I like how you give credit to Lowell based on their historical strength, despite the early naysayers.  .  They've earned it.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YadFEDZPLWU

Hahaha I think Lowell and Morton would have to prove it before Hobart..didn't they beat both of those teams soundly? And from what I understand they bring back there d1 talent and a 3yr qb?.. i mean I would hope my team stands a shot against them... hut I'm going with they run the ncc again.. and their sectional.

4 minutes ago, Raven67 said:

Hahaha I think Lowell and Morton would have to prove it before Hobart..didn't they beat both of those teams soundly? And from what I understand they bring back there d1 talent and a 3yr qb?.. i mean I would hope my team stands a shot against them... hut I'm going with they run the ncc again.. and their sectional.

Hobart has lost the vast majority of "big" games they have played in over the past 15 years.  No doubt hey are coming on, but in my view, the jury is still out.

47 minutes ago, DT said:

Hobart has lost the vast majority of "big" games they have played in over the past 15 years.  No doubt hey are coming on, but in my view, the jury is still out.

Agreed,  The Brickies cannot rest on the laurels of last year's achievements.  John Harrell's site suggests they will be tested early and often.  Chesterton, Merrillville, Lowell, and Andrean in the early stages of their season.  If I'm not mistaken, they also scrimmage Valparaiso, correct?

14 hours ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Big year of transfers in the DAC... heard yesterday, that supposedly, a qb from Virginia has enrolled at crown Point. I can’t confirm this but that is what a CP player told me, anyone else hear this?

Sunshine?