• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

Head Coach Openings 2017   10/19/2016

Frankton: Randy England  Bobby Ryan Promoted  Franklin Community:  Adam Reese  Chris Coll hired from Tri-West Martinsville: Brad Rose  Carter Whitson Hired  Lake Central: Brett St. Germain Tony Bartolomeo Promoted South Bend Clay: Craig Redman  Will Porter Hired from South Vermilion  Boone Grove:  Tony Tinkel   Dan Kukulski Promoted  Mooresville:  Chad Dockery Mike Gillin hired from Indian Creek Wood Memorial:  Caleb Cherry/Archer  Bret Kramer Hired Tippecanoe Valley:  Shriver/Norris   Stephen Moriarty  Hired Corydon Central:  Andrew Smith    Aaron Humphrey Hired Calumet New Tech:  Rik Richards  Rick Good Hired  Winamac:  Tim Roth Craig Barr Hired   Tri-West: Chris Coll Tyler Bruce Promoted North Central (Indy): Kevin Kreinhagen Kevin O'Shea hired from Lafayette Central Catholic Indy Chatard:  Vince Lorenzano Rob Doyle Promoted Paoli: Brian Balsmeyer Jeremy Lowery Promoted Mt. Vernon (Fortville): Doug Armstrong  Neil Kazmierczak  Hired from Lebanon  Bluffton: Randy Hudgins Brett Kunkel Hired Indian Creek: Mike Gillin Brett Cooper Hired Vincennes Lincoln:  Jon Heiden  Levi Salters Promoted  Frankfort:  Joel Sienicki Eric Davis Hired from Tri-County South Vermillion:  Will Porter  Greg Barrett hired from North Putnam Riverton Parke:  Jake Weber Brad Sanders Promoted Elkhart Central:  Levon Johnson Josh Shattuck hired from Seymour Mt. Vernon (Posey) Paul Meirer Cory Brunson hired from Evansville Harrison Richmond:  Matt Holeva  Abe Tawfeek hired from Indy Northwest Lebanon:    Neil Kazmierczak Jeff Smock Hired North White:  Jim Davis Kirk Quasebarth Promoted  North Posey:   Paul Rynkiewich  Waylon Schenk hired from Princeton  Pike Central:  Dustin Powell   Erik Mattingly Hired  John Glenn:  Damon Groves Austin Faust Promoted North Putnam:  Greg Barrett Sam Carnes Hired  Lafayette Central Catholic: Kevin O'Shea Don Coller Promoted  Evansville Harrison: Cory Brunson Lane Oxley Hired Indianapolis Roncalli:  Bruce Scifres Scott Marsh Promoted    Princeton:   Waylon Schenk   Jared Maners Hired Ft. Wayne North:  Mike Cochran Michael Brevard Hired Turkey Run:  Steve Stewart Bruce Scaggs Hired Indianapolis Northwest:   Abe Tawfeek Jonas Williams Promoted Tri-County:  Eric Davis  Sam Zachary Hired Carroll Community:  Mark Brown Kevin Sayler Promoted  Oldenburg Academy:  Wes Gillman  Union County:  Rusty Hensley Joel Hofmann promoted Edgewood: Jerry Bland Brian Rosenburg Hired Seymour:  Josh Shattuck  Michael Kelly Hired Wawasee:  Josh Ekovich Michael Eshbach hired from Eastside Muncie Central:  Adam Morris Scott Pethtel Hired Benton Central:  Ed Roberson  Mike Hammons  Promoted  Western:  Ron Jankovich Alex Stewart Hired New Castle:  Will Ragle  Kyle York Hired Sullivan:  Trent Olson Blaine Powell promoted Northwestern:  Alex Stewart Steve Disler hired  Clinton Central:  Isaac Sturgis Justin Gardiner Hired North Miami:  Mark Lefebvre  Joe Grant Hired from Rochester Spring Valley Justin Scheller Mark Hammond Hired  Edinburgh:  Derrick Ball  Jason Burton Hired Eastside: Michael Eshbach  Cloverdale: Tony Meyer  New Albany: Sean Coultis Steve Cooley promoted Rochester: Joe Grant  Hammond Clark: Eric Schreiber  Hammond Noll:  Colin McCullough  Wheeler:  Tony Klimzack  Adam Hudak Hired from Lake Station  Lake Station:  Adam Hudak   South Central:  Eric Stephens Buzz Schoff Hired  Caston:  Brady Jones Brian Hooker Promoted  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Irishman

Goodell's ideas

40 posts in this topic

What do you guys think? he was on NFL network today that he wants to eliminate the extra point kick. He said that you could get 7 points for each TD. But you could try for two, but if you miss that, you lose a point. he also talked about expanding the playoffs adding more teams. he is on record for wanting an 18 game schedule as well. Your thoughts?

here are mine...I HATE every one of those ideas. Player safety is his "top concern" but wants to make two more games count? Adding teams to the playoffs will pretty much guarantee that a team finishing 8-8 or worse will qualify. You CANNOT have an average team in the playoffs. It does not make sense. As far as the extra point, how many teams does he think will actually attempt the two point conversion? He wants to point to the number of extra points that were missed. While that is a valid point to consider, why not just back up the extra point?

I'm iffy on the idea....I think they should keep things the way they are. ..adds to the suspense such as the bears and packers game where it was win or go home

The Dude would like to see extra points like they do in Rugby.  

Here's how that works.

Touchdown/Try

A touchdown is scored like a try.  A player must "ground" the ball in the end zone area.  

Extra point/Conversation

The extra point is taken in line with where the touchdown was scored.  (Meaning the player grounded the football.)  

To make the angle of the kick easier, you can kick from as far away from the goal-line as you like. but the kick is then much longer.
Scoring a TD near the posts makes it easier to get the extra points for converting.
rugby-tries-near-the-posts.gif
Get a TD at "A", out on the wing. Good but hard to convert.

Get a TD at "B", Better than at "A". But still not easy.

Get a TD at "C" - Best! It's straight in front, easy to convert.

So, when scoring tries, remember the kicker and the extra points...

Even after crossing the goal-line you can run towards the posts to get as near as you can to the posts before grounding the ball.

The nearer the goal posts the better - but actually scoring the TD is the most important thing!

Make absolutely certain you get the ball down on the ground. If they manage to stop the ball touching the ground...NO TD!

Why is Mr. Goodell messing with extra points?

Extra point/Conversation

The extra point is taken in line with where the touchdown was scored.  (Meaning the player grounded the football.)  

To make the angle of the kick easier, you can kick from as far away from the goal-line as you like. but the kick is then much longer.

Scoring a TD near the posts makes it easier to get the extra points for converting.

When I played rugby @ USI many years ago, we, and every opponent we played, took the ball back to the 22 meter line and kicked.

Go for one from the one yard line and two from the two yard line. Sounds more exciting, but also more of an injury risk. There will also be a much larger demand for power backs and fullbacks.

The punter for the Arizona Cardinals was on first take last week and was asked about what he thought about eliminating the extra point kick. He thought that it would make it more interesting and meaningful if you had the option to go for 2 from the 2 or kick the extra point from the 30 yard line, which would make the kick the equivalent of a 40-yard field goal in length. This would bring more strategy to the point after touchdown, especially with taking the elements into account. He also thought that if the PAT was tried from the 1 yard line, it would cause more coaches to go for 2 more often. I didn't like the idea of a part of the game changing that has been there since its inception, but I thought the ideas that were mentioned above would indeed make the game more exciting, which is what it is all about I suppose.

The Dude would like to see extra points like they do in Rugby.  

Here's how that works.

Touchdown/Try

A touchdown is scored like a try.  A player must "ground" the ball in the end zone area.  

Extra point/Conversation

rugby-tries-near-the-posts.gif
Get a TD at "A", out on the wing. Good but hard to convert.

Get a TD at "B", Better than at "A". But still not easy.

Get a TD at "C" - Best! It's straight in front, easy to convert.

So, when scoring tries, remember the kicker and the extra points...

Even after crossing the goal-line you can run towards the posts to get as near as you can to the posts before grounding the ball.

The nearer the goal posts the better - but actually scoring the TD is the most important thing!

Make absolutely certain you get the ball down on the ground. If they manage to stop the ball touching the ground...NO TD!

A ground-the-ball requirement would eliminate a decent percentage of TD plays under current rules, e.g., the  "barely got two feet in" passing TDs at the sideline or endline, in which neither the receiver's body nor the ball ever touches the ground in the end zone.  I'm not sure people would want to trade that class of exciting scoring plays for more challenging PAT kicks.  

All in favor of less kicking in football.

Touchdown 7 points.  No PAT.  Ball given to the offense at the 20.  No kickoff

Field Goal 3 points.  Ball given to the offense at the 35.  No kickoff.

The players association doesn't want 4 pre season games.  Owners have to make up for that loss.  Add 2 weeks to the season.  Play the Super Bowl on Presidents Day Sunday.

While we are at it.  Get rid of the Pro Bowl and make it a skills competition the Day before the Superbowl.

Let's see how the Super Bowl does in New York as well.

All in favor of less kicking in football.

Touchdown 7 points.  No PAT.  Ball given to the offense at the 20.  No kickoff

Field Goal 3 points.  Ball given to the offense at the 35.  No kickoff.

The players association doesn't want 4 pre season games.  Owners have to make up for that loss.  Add 2 weeks to the season.  Play the Super Bowl on Presidents Day Sunday.

While we are at it.  Get rid of the Pro Bowl and make it a skills competition the Day before the Superbowl.

Let's see how the Super Bowl does in New York as well.

I think this would be a good idea, that way it becomes more of a fan-based event in different cities and won't require a trip to Hawaii to watch a meaningless game. That could create a little more excitement for the fans who come to Super Bowl village but don't go to the game (ex. me in 2012).

I hate to see the most popular US game messed with too much....

Can't we just move the XP back if worried too automatic?

Playoffs...we already have 12 of 32 teams in the playoffs....already over a 1/3rd....and we need more?  3 of the first 4 round games this year nearly had blackouts.....simply about the cash....how about cutting my preseason ticket prices 50%???

I hate to see the most popular US game messed with too much....

Can't we just move the XP back if worried too automatic?

Playoffs...we already have 12 of 32 teams in the playoffs....already over a 1/3rd....and we need more?  3 of the first 4 round games this year nearly had blackouts.....simply about the cash....how about cutting my preseason ticket prices 50%???

Why not an "all-in" playoff format. We already know from our experience in Indiana high school football that it's the best way to crown a champion. And while we're at it, let's not seed the playoffs, but make it a blind draw. Despite what everyone might think, we know that doesn't devalue the regular season.

Now, doesn't that sound ridiculous?

Why not an "all-in" playoff format. We already know from our experience in Indiana high school football that it's the best way to crown a champion. And while we're at it, let's not seed the playoffs, but make it a blind draw. Despite what everyone might think, we know that doesn't devalue the regular season.

Should salaried athletes be held to the same standards as amateurs?

Should salaried athletes be held to the same standards as amateurs?

"Standards?" I have no idea what you mean. How do the NFL's objectives in designing their playoff format differ from those of the IHSAA? Try and be specific.

yea...let's compare the NFL and paid professionals with Edinburgh, Avon, Portage, etc.  Certainly an apple to apple, right?

What seems ridiculous to me is your comparison.

yea...let's compare the NFL and paid professionals with Edinburgh, Avon, Portage, etc.  Certainly an apple to apple, right?

What seems ridiculous to me is your comparison.

I'll say it again, just like I did to Dante: How do the NFL's objectives in designing their playoff format differ from those of the IHSAA? Try and be specific. Then we'll see how ridiculous the comparison is.

I'll say it again, just like I did to Dante: How do the NFL's objectives in designing their playoff format differ from those of the IHSAA? Try and be specific. Then we'll see how ridiculous the comparison is.

Not taking the bait Bob....been down this road....over and over and over and over and over..............you know why I support "children" still playing for the love of the game vs. paid grown men/professionals having a chance to experience a playoff game.    Not even close to one in the same.

The NFL seeds as well....now that is something I wish the IHSAA would consider.

Dante comparision....ouch Bob.  No need to get personal.... ;)

Edited by Trojan Dad

Not taking the bait Bob....been down this road....over and over and over and over and over..............you know why I support "children" still playing for the love of the game vs. paid grown men/professionals having a chance to experience a playoff game.    Not even close to one in the same.

The NFL seeds as well....now that is something I wish the IHSAA would consider.

Dante comparision....ouch Bob.  No need to get personal.... ;)

In the legal biz your "answer" would be stricken as "non-responsive," and the jury would be admonished to disregard it, although it was very polite.

Although the football is far from professional standards, I think we could take some tips from our neighbors to the north, the CFL.

1. Elimate illegal shift.  I like it when the receivers can get a running start from the backfield, all of them.

2. Elimate the fair catch, but give a 5 yard cushion to let the returner catch the ball.

3. Elimate kickoffs after Field Goals and put the ball on the 35 to start play.

Although the football is far from professional standards, I think we could take some tips from our neighbors to the north, the CFL.

1. Elimate illegal shift. I like it when the receivers can get a running start from the backfield, all of them.

2. Elimate the fair catch, but give a 5 yard cushion to let the returner catch the ball.

3. Elimate kickoffs after Field Goals and put the ball on the 35 to start play.

In general, both the CFL and NFL should focus on creating a common set of rules, with the end goal being a merger.

Why pray tell Dante should the NFL merge with the CFL....to land those lucrative markets in Ottawa and Saskatchewan??

They tried to make that happen in the mid 90's with CFL teams in the US.

I like the bigger field, espcially the endzones.  But it can't work in today's modern stadiums.

Plus their season starts in July and ends around our thanksgiving.

Why pray tell Dante should the NFL merge with the CFL....to land those lucrative markets in Ottawa and Saskatchewan??

Because the games are so similar that there shouldn't be a different set of codes.

And I'm not looking at Canadian markets-I want to expand south of the border! Mexico City alone would be a huge market for the game!

Because the games are so similar that there shouldn't be a different set of codes.

How about if we concentrate first on getting the NFL, NCAA, and National Federation on the same page rules-wise? That way on Friday nights we wouldn't have to listen to coaches yelling at us about the "5 yd. chuck rule," or complaining that on a missed field goal the ball should go over to the defense at the spot of the kick.

How about if we concentrate first on getting the NFL, NCAA, and National Federation on the same page rules-wise? That way on Friday nights we wouldn't have to listen to coaches yelling at us about the "5 yd. chuck rule," or complaining that on a missed field goal the ball should go over to the defense at the spot of the kick.

I agree.

Elimate Illigal Shift.

Elimate fair catch (5 yd buffer before catch)

Elimate Kickoffs after field goals.

Interesting Idea:

Most high schools have soccer fields nearby.  Maybe have some high school games played on a CFL field (they are abooout the same size.

Agreed.