Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Arkansas vs Texas

Boilernation

For those who can remember the old SWC, we’re these two heated rivals. Man, that Razorback crowd looked they wanted blood and treated Texas as much as they left the field. I was flipping through ESPN and saw footage of Razorback fans going nuts after the game and really sticking it to Texas as they left the field. Nothing over the top and newsworthy; however, the commentator kept saying “do you really want that Texas? Do you want to deal with that every year. That’s a fan base and program that is going to view you as a rival.” I was expected the channel to be one of the SEC channels, but when they showed the studio it was the LHN. 

Cant help but think there’s gotta be quite a few people associated with the program wo are turned off by the move to the SEC.

18 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

For those who can remember the old SWC, we’re these two heated rivals. Man, that Razorback crowd looked they wanted blood and treated Texas as much as they left the field. I was flipping through ESPN and saw footage of Razorback fans going nuts after the game and really sticking it to Texas as they left the field. Nothing over the top and newsworthy; however, the commentator kept saying “do you really want that Texas? Do you want to deal with that every year. That’s a fan base and program that is going to view you as a rival.” I was expected the channel to be one of the SEC channels, but when they showed the studio it was the LHN. 

Cant help but think there’s gotta be quite a few people associated with the program wo are turned off by the move to the SEC.

Texas is just an odd story. In the years 2004, 2005 (National Championship year), 2008, and 2009, They had one loss or none over the last twenty years. Since then, they have been average at best. I am guessing there are a lot of alumni that upset about a lot of things. Not sure what has happened. Just seems there are so many good football players living in Texas, they should be able to get their share to go to UT. Add to it that A&M is highly ranked. Plenty to be fuming about for the UT alumni. 

On a side note Joe Tessitore is awesome calling college games; and his description of the fans rushing the field was classic.

• Thanks 1
  • Disdain 1

18 hours ago, Boilernation said:

17 hours ago, Irishman said:

Texas is just an odd story. In the years 2004, 2005 (National Championship year), 2008, and 2009, They had one loss or none over the last twenty years. Since then, they have been average at best. I am guessing there are a lot of alumni that upset about a lot of things. Not sure what has happened. Just seems there are so many good football players living in Texas, they should be able to get their share to go to UT. Add to it that A&M is highly ranked. Plenty to be fuming about for the UT alumni. 

On a side note Joe Tessitore is awesome calling college games; and his description of the fans rushing the field was classic.

I was a student at A&M back in the old SWC days, so seeing Arkansas on a yearly basis was par for the course.  It's not quite the same feel nowadays with A&M in the SEC with Arkansas.  The A&M-Texas rivalry was a big deal when part of the SWC and Big 12, but I don't seem to miss it as much as I thought I would when A&M bolted for the SEC.  In part, I think it's because Texas has been, as @Irishman stated, "average at best."  A&M leaving for the SEC has hurt Texas in the recruiting wars.  I recall when I moved to Indiana back in 2001, it was almost impossible to see an A&M game unless they were playing someone like Notre Dame or unless they were playing Oklahoma/Texas when those guys were ranked.  Now, with A&M in the SEC, I can pretty much catch A&M weekly ... the more recent higher ranking of course doesn't hurt.  Texas used to, by default, get so many of the "out of staters" being the "state school" even though A&M is also a state school too.  The SEC exposure for A&M, plus their own self-imposed moratorium on playing Texas, help set the tone that A&M was really the visible state presence for Texas. 

With that said, make no mistake about the Texas branding.  It is one of the richest brands, if not the richest brands in the NCAA.  The SEC play will be much less about wins, although they would like to have them, as it is about making sure that brand isn't gained on or eroded by A&M.  Perhaps that rivalry never really went away ... to an extent I'm being facetious ... the A&M/tu rival will never really go away ... be sure to catch the Longhorn/Aggie tiddlywinks game on The Ocho later on this semester.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2021 at 4:54 PM, foxbat said:

I was a student at A&M back in the old SWC days, so seeing Arkansas on a yearly basis was par for the course.  It's not quite the same feel nowadays with A&M in the SEC with Arkansas.  The A&M-Texas rivalry was a big deal when part of the SWC and Big 12, but I don't seem to miss it as much as I thought I would when A&M bolted for the SEC.  In part, I think it's because Texas has been, as @Irishman stated, "average at best."  A&M leaving for the SEC has hurt Texas in the recruiting wars.  I recall when I moved to Indiana back in 2001, it was almost impossible to see an A&M game unless they were playing someone like Notre Dame or unless they were playing Oklahoma/Texas when those guys were ranked.  Now, with A&M in the SEC, I can pretty much catch A&M weekly ... the more recent higher ranking of course doesn't hurt.  Texas used to, by default, get so many of the "out of staters" being the "state school" even though A&M is also a state school too.  The SEC exposure for A&M, plus their own self-imposed moratorium on playing Texas, help set the tone that A&M was really the visible state presence for Texas. 

With that said, make no mistake about the Texas branding.  It is one of the richest brands, if not the richest brands in the NCAA.  The SEC play will be much less about wins, although they would like to have them, as it is about making sure that brand isn't gained on or eroded by A&M.  Perhaps that rivalry never really went away ... to an extent I'm being facetious ... the A&M/tu rival will never really go away ... be sure to catch the Longhorn/Aggie tiddlywinks game on The Ocho later on this semester.

Interesting. What are your thoughts on Houston? I was listening to College Football podcast recently and they suggested the Big 12 Texas schools never wanted Houston to be invited for fear of Houston locking up the highly talented Houston metro area in recruiting if they had P5 status. If Houston can leverage a Big 12 invite to be a consistant conder for a playoff spot, I would think they could start to look appealing to Texas kids who consistantly see Texas and A&M fall short in the SEC.

Edited by Boilernation

3 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Interesting. What are your thoughts on Houston? I was listening to College Football podcast recently and they suggested the Big 12 Texas schools never wanted Houston to be invited for fear of Houston locking up the highly talented Houston metro area in recruiting if they had P5 status. If Houston can leverage a Big 12 invite to be a consistant conder for a playoff spot, I would think they could start to look appealing to Texas kids who consistantly see Texas and A&M fall short in the SEC.

While it sounds like it has some merit, there wouldn't be a "lock" on the Houston area for several reasons.  I was a student in the SWC back in the day when U of H was part of the SWC.  While U of H had its share of good teams, including a run with Heisman Trophy winner Andre Ware, PLENTY of Houston area kids left the Houston area to play ball elsewhere in the state when Houston was part of the SWC.  I recall my senior class had about 25% go to tu, 25% go to A&M, about 25% split between SFA and SamHouston, and the remaining 25% split between everyone else including other in-state schools like Baylor, NTSU which is now UNT, SMU, Rice, UTSA,TCU, and U of H, as well as out-of-state schools like Columbia and Yale, as well as the community colleges and armed services.

As for the athlete thought process, my opinion on this is, if I'm qualified to attend and play at both A&M or U of H as a football starter, I'd rather play in the SEC for A&M and coming up short as opposed to playing for U of H ... all things equal.  U of H is just under .500 for the past 6-7 years under the last couple coaches and less than .400 the last couple of seasons.  I don't see U of H jumping in and dominating the Big 12 anytime soon.  The departure of Texas and Oklahoma will severely lower the clout of the Big 12.  I would suspect that it might be just a matter of time before Iowa State leaves, possibly with a bid to try to join the Big 10, and possibly a smart move for the SEC would be to grab OSU for the sweep of Oklahoma's more prominent teams.  If that happens, then as an athlete, I'd definitely take my chances at A&M compared to U of H.  By the way, the U of H metro thing is kind of over-rated.  Texans tend to think of anything within four hours as "being close by" if you are from the big city.  As such, Houston and Dallas are close by" and A&M is just an hour and a half from downtown Houston.  For comparison, when I lived in Houston, it used to take me a half hour on weekends to get to downtown and over an hour when I went to work during the week.  For kids in Houston, A&M is pretty much considered "local."