Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

4A Roncalli at Mt. Vernon

Rematch from last year at the same place  with rankings and records switched. 

Roncalli line is actually better this year.  .(6’4” 340 lb Patrick Meek was lost for the season last year in game 2 with injury. )

Big thing will be WR for Roncalli who left Chatard game with injury and did not return.  He holds every career and single season receiving record at Roncalli.   He also had 2 long TDS in game last year.  

I think this game will be as competitive as the East Central & Roncalli game. Mt. Vernon's offense can explode at any moment and Roncalli's pass D, albeit very good at forcing turnovers, is the most susceptible part of their team. 

I could see this being a 42-35 Roncalli W, if not higher scoring. Mt. Vernon's D has feasted on a sub-par HHC and Roncalli's size and speed will shock them for 4 quarters. 

1 hour ago, MICFan34 said:

I think this game will be as competitive as the East Central & Roncalli game. Mt. Vernon's offense can explode at any moment and Roncalli's pass D, albeit very good at forcing turnovers, is the most susceptible part of their team. 

I could see this being a 42-35 Roncalli W, if not higher scoring. Mt. Vernon's D has feasted on a sub-par HHC and Roncalli's size and speed will shock them for 4 quarters. 

I think it will come down to how well Slunaker plays.  (Have we had this conversation before?)

I think Roncalli should push MV around when they have the ball and the Chatard second half shows what happens when you load the box against them. 

Slunaker’s QB rating and completion % are up.  His INTs are down.  Some of that is probably due to state of HHC, but it is an improvement over last year. 

Last year he had to throw it 40 times, by far the most of the last two seasons.   

I am stunned that the Roncalli QB has 60 more attempts this year than him.  MV QB has not attempted over 20 since game 2. 

Looks like MV is more ground oriented this year.  240 yards per game this year vs 182 last year.  Would be surprised if they approach that figure.   Only had 31 yards last year.  

5 hours ago, fenderbender said:

WR (Lockard) looks like he is back.  Listed as starting in pregame notes from Roncalli

Glad to hear that he's okay, hate seeing injuries this late in the season (or ever for that matter). Although I'm a little surprised he's able to go this week. He looked like he had no clue where he was after that hit. It must not have been a concussion then?

Good luck this week Roncalli! This Chatard fan will be rooting for you the rest of the way!

1 minute ago, TheDoctor22 said:

Glad to hear that he's okay, hate seeing injuries this late in the season (or ever for that matter). Although I'm a little surprised he's able to go this week. He looked like he had no clue where he was after that hit. It must not have been a concussion then?

Good luck this week Roncalli! This Chatard fan will be rooting for you the rest of the way!

I was worried too because he did not seem to come out of the tent  

It almost looked like he fell on the ball or something else weird because it was not your typical violent hit. 

17 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

I think it will come down to how well Slunaker plays.  (Have we had this conversation before?)

I think Roncalli should push MV around when they have the ball and the Chatard second half shows what happens when you load the box against them. 

Slunaker’s QB rating and completion % are up.  His INTs are down.  Some of that is probably due to state of HHC, but it is an improvement over last year. 

Last year he had to throw it 40 times, by far the most of the last two seasons.   

I am stunned that the Roncalli QB has 60 more attempts this year than him.  MV QB has not attempted over 20 since game 2. 

Looks like MV is more ground oriented this year.  240 yards per game this year vs 182 last year.  Would be surprised if they approach that figure.   Only had 31 yards last year.  

Hahaha we have! He's a 4 year starter (3 at MV, 1 at GC) and is about to play in his 3rd straight Regional game. I think they come out juiced and he hits a few shots throughout the first half. But Roncalli's DL should be able to get pressure all-night, imo. 

If you would have said, pre 2012, that Roncalli's QB would have thrown for 2200 yds and 27 TDs in a single season, you'd have been out of your mind. Crazy to see. 

Yeah, I don't see Mt. Vernon's defense coming close to stopping Roncalli at all. 

1 hour ago, MICFan34 said:

Hahaha we have! He's a 4 year starter (3 at MV, 1 at GC) and is about to play in his 3rd straight Regional game. I think they come out juiced and he hits a few shots throughout the first half. But Roncalli's DL should be able to get pressure all-night, imo. 

If you would have said, pre 2012, that Roncalli's QB would have thrown for 2200 yds and 27 TDs in a single season, you'd have been out of your mind. Crazy to see. 

Yeah, I don't see Mt. Vernon's defense coming close to stopping Roncalli at all. 

When I checked his stats, I saw a bunch of L’s his Fr. year but neglected to see what team that was.   Did not know he changed schools.  

I agree that MV will be very motivated after last year. 

3 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Really underrated matchup, in my opinion 

Mt. Vernon has been flying under the radar.   The lost to a pretty meh Noblelsville to start the season and that may have turned some of the press off.   A lot of the local press were very into Mooresville as a dark horse candidate due to their QB. (Justifiable so).  Some also thought if Roncalli was going to be upset early,  it was going going to be Chatard.   People kind of forgot about MV. 

They rebounded nicely after the week one loss to run the table to this point.  

I think there are some questions about the strength of the HHC.  New Pal has been down the past two years and the talent really drops off a cliff after MV and New Pal.  They play a lot of these same teams in sectional.  Prior to Chatard being added to Sectional 22, I thought sectional 22 and 21 were both two of the easiest paths to a sectional title in 4A.  (Maybe S18)

On 11/11/2021 at 11:58 AM, MICFan34 said:

I don’t care what the stats say, three pics for Slunaker in the first half kept Roncalli in the game.  That first one was a forward pass. 

1 minute ago, TigerFan20 said:

Who is that?

HALFTIME 

MV leads Roncalli, 17-14

MV scored 17 straight points before a late TD drive by Roncalli 

All time and single season reception yardage and TD record holder WR.  Kyle Lockard.  Holds single game TD record with current teammate.