Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Roncalli vs. East Central Rematch

51 minutes ago, 1 Trojan Place said:

Curious to hear who everyone thinks will win the rematch. First time around EC had 4 turnovers and still almost won. Can’t play like that in big games and expect to win. In my opinion whoever wins this will take home the blue rings.

My prediction: EC 27 Roncalli 21

I thought there were a lot of holding penalties called on both sides.  Roncalli had their second drive stall out that resulted in a missed FG because of a holding call.  Also had a TD called back because of a hold later in the game, though they ended up scoring on that drive.  

It was a big contrast to the New Pal game that had very few called on both sides.  

12 hours ago, 1 Trojan Place said:

Curious to hear who everyone thinks will win the rematch. First time around EC had 4 turnovers and still almost won. Can’t play like that in big games and expect to win. In my opinion whoever wins this will take home the blue rings.

My prediction: EC 27 Roncalli 21

Personal opinion here (take it for what it is worth). If the East Central Trojans want to have a chance in beating Roncalli, they need to have no turnovers. If they have no turnovers they can come away with the game. One thing that has been a constant over the years at Roncalli (from an outsiders perspective), they play very disciplined and do not beat themselves. They don't give the ball up on a lot of turnovers and play hard. East Central has to match that, the Trojans always play hard so we know that will happen. What they need is to not turn the ball over, if they do that they can win. If they do however turn the ball over it won't end the way they would hope. I have a ton of respect for both Roncalli and East Central, it should be an outstanding game!

• Like 1

Had to dig out the password to come in on this one. 

Maybe I can stir up some of the old crew to do the same and wake this topic up 

A rematch of not only a few weeks ago but a revival of one of, if not the best thread ever on this site.

I think this is the premier matchup of the week.  

Trojans are VERY good, i'm going EC 27-Rebels oops royals 14

Sorgi was NOT IN forever

rooting for recruiting NEVER

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Personal opinion here (take it for what it is worth). If the East Central Trojans want to have a chance in beating Roncalli, they need to have no turnovers. If they have no turnovers they can come away with the game. One thing that has been a constant over the years at Roncalli (from an outsiders perspective), they play very disciplined and do not beat themselves. They don't give the ball up on a lot of turnovers and play hard. East Central has to match that, the Trojans always play hard so we know that will happen. What they need is to not turn the ball over, if they do that they can win. If they do however turn the ball over it won't end the way they would hope. I have a ton of respect for both Roncalli and East Central, it should be an outstanding game!

Agreed.  EC probably should have won their first game this year but continually shot themselves in the foot with turnovers/penalties.

I have to admit though, that winning 4A South this year reminds me of the good, old days of 10-15 years back when you had some great 4A teams fighting in the South like Cathedral, Reitz, Roncalli, EC and Columbus East (New Pal’s rise happened just a little afterwards).  Whoever survives the South will be battle tested but the gauntlet Roncalli has run these last 3 games (including this one) is a beast.

Edited by Lysander
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Agreed.  EC probably should have won their first game this year but continually shot themselves in the foot with turnovers/penalties.

I have to admit though, that winning 4A South this year reminds me of the good, old days of 10-15 years back when you had some great 4A teams fighting in the South like Cathedral, Reitz, Roncalli, EC and Columbus East (New Pal’s rise happened just a little afterwards).  Whoever survives the South will be battle tested but the gauntlet Roncalli has run these last 3 games (including this one) is a beast.

***IF*** Roncalli were to run the table here, where does this team stack up in the Parthenon of Rebel teams? And yes I said Rebel teams, no Royal football titles yet. Lysander you’re one of the more Indy Catholic league in the know than most, what about the Roncalli faithful, what say you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

***IF*** Roncalli were to run the table here, where does this team stack up in the Parthenon of Rebel teams? And yes I said Rebel teams, no Royal football titles yet. Lysander you’re one of the more Indy Catholic league in the know than most, what about the Roncalli faithful, what say you?

Man….I just can’t say because I really can’t speak about those pre-2005 teams with adequate knowledge.  Now, if he’d pop out of the shadows for a bit, I’d sure like to hear what @The TW had to say, though.

With you on the “Rebels” thing, something gets caught in my throat when I try to say “Royals”.  Probably a chronic condition on my part.

Edited by Lysander
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Kind of a side topic that shows you how big the Mt Vernon upset was last year.   It applies because some of the players are still on the team.

Last years team:

QB who holds every single Roncalli passing record

WR who hold every singe Roncalli receiving record

RB who at the end of this year will own every single Roncalli rushing record

4 division 1 lineman and another who is playing at U of I. (three this year)

2 Mr. Football position award winners.  (My money is on Lauk for OL and Hanesn for RB this year)

Team that holds the all time Roncalli consecutive winning streak.

If Lockard is not concussed in Sectional final vs Chatard, Roncalli is in 5A and headed for  a three-peat.

2 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I have a friend with a kid on the team, I know this group has been watched since CYO. Just curious how they stack up. That is as impressive of a OL as you run across in Indiana HS. 

I have coached a lot of the kids on the team or my son has played sports against them. You are right.  This group of lineman was talked about for a long time before they got to Roncalli.  

8 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Definitely below @The TW all-stars of last century. TW was just too nasty for kids these days. One ugly SOB.

8 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

The 03 and 04 teams were very good. Nowhere near as big as this years team and even more one dimensional if you can believe it, but they were as physical as they came. 4A top to bottom probably tougher back then, Roncalli wasn't playing Shortridge and Attucks in sectionals back then. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BL1985trojans said:

The real question is whether Hansen is the best RB on the field Friday night?

FullSizeRender.MOV 6.58 MB · 7 downloads  

Speaking of bad calls….

I have seen this 2 times now.

Week 9 Roncalli at East Central

Rushing (Car-Yds):

Roncalli - Luke Hansen 29-120

East Central - Josh Ringer 26-117

Looks like they are both terrific RB's to me.

Like I stated before, if East Central turns the ball over (2 Int's 2 Fum in week 9) it will not go the way they hope. If they don't they have a very good shot at winning this game. Both teams are hard nosed and physical.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

I have seen this 2 times now.

Week 9 Roncalli at East Central

Rushing (Car-Yds):

Roncalli - Luke Hansen 29-120

East Central - Josh Ringer 26-117

Looks like they are both terrific RB's to me.

Like I stated before, if East Central turns the ball over (2 Int's 2 Fum in week 9) it will not go the way they hope. If they don't they have a very good shot at winning this game. Both teams are hard nosed and physical.

This seems to sell Brotherton (15 carries for 96 yards) a bit short. 

Not sure who would be the ‘best RB’ on the field, but I would say EC has the most dynamic running game with their two backs. 

Like all November games this one will come down to protecting the football and playing defense. Whichever team does that better will win and have a favorable matchup at LOS.

8 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

This seems to sell Brotherton (15 carries for 96 yards) a bit short. 

Not sure who would be the ‘best RB’ on the field, but I would say EC has the most dynamic running game with their two backs. 

Like all November games this one will come down to protecting the football and playing defense. Whichever team does that better will win and have a favorable matchup at LOS.

I didn't sell Brotherton short. I gave the leading rusher from both teams in their week 9 match up and said they are both terrific backs. Brotherton is a terrific back too.