Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Mater Dei at Triton Central...it's like deja vu all over again

Once again, Mater Dei will be travelling to Triton Central for the Regional championship.  Should be a good game and there is certainly some background "bulletin board material" for fans to talk about leading up to the game. 

Per IHSAA rules, the visiting team picks the day and home team picks the start time.  The last 2 times MD has travelled to TC, they have chosen to play on Saturday due to the longer bus drive.  TC, in turn, has picked a late morning start time instead of a more typical noon or early afternoon start.  Supposedly there were conflicts with other home sporting events - possibly a girls basketball game(?) - that created concern about limited parking thus necessitating the earlier than normal start time.  Max Preps currently lists the game for 6:30 pm Friday but I believe that is the standard time they post until the home team gives them an update.

Curious if MD will once again pick Saturday or go with the more traditional Friday evening game?  If MD chooses Saturday again, will there be similar gamesmanship by TC with the early start time?  Stay tuned...

12 hours ago, Spitting Llamas said:

The game last year was on a Friday and the 6:30 start time this Friday is accurate. I can’t imagine MD ever picking a Saturday at Triton again after the 2019 game 

I remembered it being in the evening but honestly thought it was on Saturday.  Thanks for the clarification. Interesting that the last 3 games btwn these teams have been @ TC - yes/no?.  We used to have the same situation vs Heritage Hills when it seemed we were always playing at their field. 

The 3+ hour bus ride makes this a long trip regardless of when they play.  Imagine they leave around lunch time on Friday and have a similar routine as they have done for State in the past.  Hopefully the game will be streamed as no way many MD fans can make the 3 hour drive on a Friday night.  Best of luck to the 'Cats

Edited by MDAlum82

29 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

I remembered it being in the evening but honestly thought it was on Saturday.  Thanks for the clarification. Interesting that the last 3 games btwn these teams have been @ TC - yes/no?.  We used to have the same situation vs Heritage Hills when it seemed we were always playing at their field. 

The 3+ hour bus ride makes this a long trip regardless of when they play.  Imagine they leave around lunch time on Friday and have a similar routine as they have done for State in the past.  Hopefully the game will be streamed as no way many MD fans can make the 3 hour drive on a Friday night.  Best of luck to the 'Cats

2019 at TC, 2020 at Reitz Bowl, 2021 at TC, 2022 at TC. I'm sure the coaching staff will follow the same routine as last year. It seemed to work well. 

6 hours ago, BendNotBreak said:

Enlighten us.... MD will likly wax em again.... setting up the rematch w Liptons..... least I hope

don't see it this way...certainly don't think MD waxes them...but hope you're right.  🙏 

Edited by hick

26 minutes ago, Spitting Llamas said:

Well then, I like Massey. Honestly, I think if MD travels well, gets off the bus and plays that Massey spread seems about right. Certainly won't be the blowout it was a year ago. 

I agree, this TC team is tough, will be interesting on how MD can stop the Stucky/Schultz duo on TC’s offense 

Edited by TigerFan20

7 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

I agree, this TC team is tough, will be interesting on how MD can stop the Stucky/Schultz duo on TC’s offense 

Last year vs MD:

Stucky:  9/23, 65 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT

Schultz:  2 carries, 2 yds, 5 rec, 20 yds

New year, new teams, but MD shut them down last year.  I see that both kids have impressive stats this year.  I'm sure it will be another tough task to keep them in check.

58 minutes ago, Wildcat1992 said:

Last year vs MD:

New year, new teams, but MD shut them down last year.  I see that both kids have impressive stats this year.  I'm sure it will be another tough task to keep them in check.

MD was a little more stout on the DL last year, but I would definitely give the Cats the edge playing at Reitz Bowl. Rain isn't going to impact the game as much as it would on Linton's grass.

1 hour ago, Wildcat1992 said:

Last year vs MD:

I would guess that almost all of Stucky's yardage came after MD had pulled their starters in the 3rd or 4th quarter. The touchdown came very very late in the game. But, as stated, new year, new teams. I don't expect a running clock in this one. I just hope to be playing at the Bowl in semi state. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Spitting Llamas said:

I would guess that almost all of Stucky's yardage came after MD had pulled their starters in the 3rd or 4th quarter. The touchdown came very very late in the game. But, as stated, new year, new teams. I don't expect a running clock in this one. I just hope to be playing at the Bowl in semi state. 

The TD came on the last play of the game if I remember correctly.  I am expecting a close game either way, but of course I am expecting MD to win.