Head Coach Openings 2024 ×

New $1B dollar, 20,000 seat stadium downtown…

good thing we are building a 20k stadium for a team that averaged a little over 8k a game last year!

Can’t wait for them to host HS football games in the fall to keep the lights on!!!! looks like a great venue for a weekend extravaganza 

https://www.indystar.com/story/money/2023/02/17/1b-eleven-park-developers-give-a-first-look-and-their-plan-diamond-chain-site/69914215007/

6 hours ago, US31 said:

good thing we are building a 20k stadium for a team that averaged a little over 8k a game last year!

Can’t wait for them to host HS football games in the fall to keep the lights on!!!! looks like a great venue for a weekend extravaganza 

https://www.indystar.com/story/money/2023/02/17/1b-eleven-park-developers-give-a-first-look-and-their-plan-diamond-chain-site/69914215007/

There is a great market for soccer here. I have no doubt this new venue will draw 13 - 15k a match. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, US31 said:

Is this semi-pro or the real deal?

27 minutes ago, BTF said:

Is this semi-pro or the real deal?

Neither.  It is minor league (USL) soccer.  My friends tell me Indianapolis is "next" for a major league soccer team.  So it's the equivalent of the Indy Indians (AAA) in my opinion.

I still disagree with the idea.  In fairness, the stadium is only part of the development.  The $1 Billion tag is the entire development, including apartments, retail/office space, and parking garages.  

2 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

Neither.  It is minor league (USL) soccer.  My friends tell me Indianapolis is "next" for a major league soccer team.  So it's the equivalent of the Indy Indians (AAA) in my opinion.

I still disagree with the idea.  In fairness, the stadium is only part of the development.  The $1 Billion tag is the entire development, including apartments, retail/office space, and parking garages.  

I don't know....using that space where there used to be a factory makes a ton of sense.  That is quite a sports complex in the downtown area with NFL and uses of Lucas Oil, Victory Field, and now this soccer complex.  Also adjacent is the TCU amphitheater for concerts, NCAA HQ, museums, zoo, etc.  The area by the river needs development, and this venue also provides more downtown hotel space (much needed) and restaurants.  Lucas Oil needed more options around it and this is a great answer.  Also, all of this is right across from a large convention center.  

Just hope they build the soccer stadium with the ability to expand so they can attract a MLS expansion team and perhaps use it for large outdoor concerts, etc.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I don't know....using that space where there used to be a factory makes a ton of sense.  That is quite a sports complex in the downtown area with NFL and uses of Lucas Oil, Victory Field, and now this soccer complex.  Also adjacent is the TCU amphitheater for concerts, NCAA HQ, museums, zoo, etc.  The area by the river needs development, and this venue also provides more downtown hotel space (much needed) and restaurants.  Lucas Oil needed more options around it and this is a great answer.  Also, all of this is right across from a large convention center.  

Just hope they build the soccer stadium with the ability to expand so they can attract a MLS expansion team and perhaps use it for large outdoor concerts, etc.

I should have clarified. 

The public cost is unclear.

According to that legislation, said taxes from a special tax district collected from the Eleven Park development would pay back 80% of the cost of the stadium, while Indy Eleven would be on hook to pay the remaining 20% of the cost and cover any shortfalls.

As a taxpayer.  I don't like the idea of paying 80% of the cost of any professional stadium - soccer or otherwise.  This was not my opinion 12-15 years ago.  But after examining numerous economic benefit studies, I do not think taxpayers should subsidize for-profit professional sports teams. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

I should have clarified. 

As a taxpayer.  I don't like the idea of paying 80% of the cost of any professional stadium - soccer or otherwise.  This was not my opinion 12-15 years ago.  But after examining numerous economic benefit studies, I do not think taxpayers should subsidize for-profit professional sports teams. 

everyone has a different opinion on sports investments and numerous studies seem to contradict each other...but this investment is much larger than an athletic venue.  Real estate, hotels, restaurants, office space, etc.  That area of downtown was an eyesore along the river, and this is a much needed facelift.

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/local/new-indy-eleven-stadium-neighborhood-project-downtown-indianapolis-groundbreaking-renderings/531-85865f5f-4ab9-4ba8-b037-2ee7e8d8cf72

10 hours ago, Grover said:

I've been hearing that soccer was about to explode in popularity since the 70s.  This seems pretty ambitious but I'm glad they're doing it.

It's been popular in Fort Wayne for quite some time now. In 2021, it was announced that the 150 million project (seating 8000 I believe) would be moving forward on the northern outskirts of downtown. Fort Wayne was set to joint the USL by 2023, but everything went quiet. 

newFortWaynestadium.png

Soccer people are desperate for US men's soccer to be competitive world wide, which I personally doubt it will ever be. US pro soccer has decent followings, but the question in my mind is will it be sustainable. I think this particular project is a bit too ambitious. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CoachGallogly said:

Soccer might be growing in popularity, but I’m not sure American pro soccer really is.  Everyone I talk to that follows soccer always talks about European teams. 

Good point. In Fort Wayne, I think it's more of an opportunity for something to do. Getting 5000 people to show up on a weekend won't be too hard to do. Like Indy, we have a nice downtown and people can walk around before and after.  Can Indy get 15000+ to show up on a weekend?

12 hours ago, BTF said:

It's been popular in Fort Wayne for quite some time now. In 2021, it was announced that the 150 million project (seating 8000 I believe) would be moving forward on the northern outskirts of downtown. Fort Wayne was set to joint the USL by 2023, but everything went quiet. 

newFortWaynestadium.png

I believe that project was driven by Beasley, played at South Side. Per Wiki; On October 28, 2020, Fort Wayne FC announced Beasley's addition to their ownership group as co-owner of the club.[53][54] The teams has announced plans to self-promoted from USL League Two to USL League One beginning in the 2023 season.[55]

18 hours ago, CoachGallogly said:

Soccer might be growing in popularity, but I’m not sure American pro soccer really is.  Everyone I talk to that follows soccer always talks about European teams. 

I would fit that demographic. I watch English Premier League every weekend. I would likely watch the Eleven in person at this stadium a few teams a season if they were in the MLS. But, the MLS product isn't close to being on par with Europe and it's a tough watch for me. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tango said:

Soccer people are desperate for US men's soccer to be competitive world wide, which I personally doubt it will ever be. US pro soccer has decent followings, but the question in my mind is will it be sustainable. I think this particular project is a bit too ambitious. 

TQL Stadium in downtown Cincinnati is really nice and the average attendance for 2022 was 22K. I could see the Eleven being able to avg. at least 15K per year. The apartment market in downtown Indy is booming and this project would add to the market if they follow through on the full development. I could see this project being a success, but I do think it would help tremendously if the Eleven could get into MLS.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

TQL Stadium in downtown Cincinnati is really nice and the average attendance for 2022 was 22K. I could see the Eleven being able to avg. at least 15K per year. The apartment market in downtown Indy is booming and this project would add to the market if they follow through on the full development. I could see this project being a success, but I do think it would help tremendously if the Eleven could get into MLS.

I agree, getting into MLS would be a huge boost. 

The MLS is a pyramid scheme. They started expanding and now are addicted to the growth of expansion fees to profit. The teams that got in early are set, the teams on the bottom that get in late are going to get crushed. The MLS isn’t even the most popular league in this country. La Liga MX and the EPL are at the top. Then add in the other club tournaments, the MLS is an afterthought. 

27 minutes ago, MarshallCounty said:

The MLS is a pyramid scheme. They started expanding and now are addicted to the growth of expansion fees to profit. The teams that got in early are set, the teams on the bottom that get in late are going to get crushed. The MLS isn’t even the most popular league in this country. La Liga MX and the EPL are at the top. Then add in the other club tournaments, the MLS is an afterthought. 

No argument....I would say the EPL is the most popular soccer league in the US.  They have excellent coverage on NBC, USA and on Peacock. (NBC streaming)

14 hours ago, psaboy said:

I believe that project was driven by Beasley, played at South Side. Per Wiki; On October 28, 2020, Fort Wayne FC announced Beasley's addition to their ownership group as co-owner of the club.[53][54] The teams has announced plans to self-promoted from USL League Two to USL League One beginning in the 2023 season.[55]

It's looking like the stadium itself is just a pipedream. They just partnered with St. Francis to play their games there for the next two years. 

7 hours ago, BTF said:

It's looking like the stadium itself is just a pipedream. They just partnered with St. Francis to play their games there for the next two years. 

Yep, and they will not be playing in League one this year and likely not next. 

I heard the head of Keystone Group on the radio this morning discussing the new soccer stadium. And it sounds good….but two glaring issues:
1) If you build it, they don’t come and the taxpayers are saddled with an incomplete mess. 
2) Still doesn’t address you know the crime, homelessness, shootings, murders, and what not.

• Like 1