Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Varsity vs JV

I had this thought the other day.  Could a 1 or 2A school that does not a game for what ever reason schedule a game against say a 5 or 6A team JV team that also does not have a game that week?  I know it would not count as far as an official game,  but would it not be better then no game.

One I do not even no if this is allowed by the ihsaa.  And two I do know there is pro and cons to this. What do you all think on this.

58 minutes ago, Trojanmp52 said:

I had this thought the other day.  Could a 1 or 2A school that does not a game for what ever reason schedule a game against say a 5 or 6A team JV team that also does not have a game that week?  I know it would not count as far as an official game,  but would it not be better then no game.

One I do not even no if this is allowed by the ihsaa.  And two I do know there is pro and cons to this. What do you all think on this.

I don't know if it's actually been done with that type of class gap, but I recall hearing a story where a program asked if their varsity players could play in the JV matchup game against a same class opponent as their varsity was off that week.

8 hours ago, Trojanmp52 said:

I know it happens in other sports, and it counts on the record, but I have not heard of it happening in football. That said football is a bit unique. My only concern is you could potentially have 18/19 year old varsity players competing against younger, less physically mature players. I only say that from the risk of injury standpoint. Sure there are risks in everything we do, but I think that is really the only consideration I can think of that could be an issue. 

I *think* something like this happened before, but I will have to see if I can internet sleuth it later today for confirmation.

Vincennes Lincoln in its 4A power hey day (2000-06 era) sent its JV to play a smaller school in Illinois - Edwards County? Robinson? Oblong? on a Friday night, the same weekend their varsity played a conference game.   

We did this a lot in high school for baseball. Our school was the only bigger school that played high school baseball (wasn't a big sport in my home state). Our varsity would travel to an out of state tournament and play area junior colleges. The JV and freshmen teams played varsity teams from small schools in the area. We had 2000 students and these small schools had like 40 or 50 students. They were SMALL!

Greenwood Christian's first varsity football season was this past year. Their schedule included the Brownsburg JV White team (not sure what level that is) as well as a JV team from Columbus East. A couple of the varsity teams that they had originally scheduled dropped football during the season so they ended up only playing about 7 games total (4 varsity, 2 JV and maybe one home school).

Going forward for 2023, they have 9 varsity games scheduled, eight 1A and one 2A.

On 4/28/2023 at 9:29 AM, oldtimeqb said:

I *think* something like this happened before, but I will have to see if I can internet sleuth it later today for confirmation.

Vincennes Lincoln in its 4A power hey day (2000-06 era) sent its JV to play a smaller school in Illinois - Edwards County? Robinson? Oblong? on a Friday night, the same weekend their varsity played a conference game.   

Yes it did in 2000. It was against Oblong (IL) High School

And it was a Saturday night game

Edited by CJJL

11 minutes ago, CJJL said:

Yes it did in 2000. It was against Oblong (IL) High School

And it was a Saturday night game

Thank you!! I thought my memory was playing tricks on me. I looked but couldn’t find the details