Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

1st annual Tiger 11x11 Thud Classic July 20th

We have confirmed participation by 7 schools so far. We would love to have one more. We will have officials working that night.  If interested, Email me. Robert.Patchett@nwsc.k12.in.us

Participating schools are:

Lewis Cass
South Bend Riley
Knox
Riverton Parke
North White
South Bend Washington
Northwestern

Not to hijack this thread - but the title of it reminded me that we are almost to my "favorite" (SARCASM) part of the football season - the PLAY TO THUD/QUICK WHISTLE portion of the summer with these 11X11 scrimmages or whatever you want to call them

Some annoyances to try and avoid for you new coaches - or advice for coaches that just don't get it:

1. This is NOT the Super Bowl

2. Your actions (Coaches) a lot of times will "fuel" the problems that will arise in the scrimmage. (Hooting/hollering, chest-bumping, etc...)

3. Football is already a combative and emotional sport, don't egg it on by inappropriate actions - AND, if you have a player taking it over the edge, remove him/her until they understand no trophies are handed out in June/July

4. As you can probably tell, I DESPISE these things cause I don't really think football can be played at THUD level...someone (either an RB lowering his shoulder) or a safety running full speed downhill will start it...then the next play someone else has to get it back, and on and on. 

- That said, I know they are not going away - so here is to hoping everyone stays healthy and understands the purpose of these things. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, jets said:

3. Football is already a combative and  tell, I DESPISE these things cause I don't really think football can be played at THUD level...

A lot of programs practice this way everyday. Both H.S. and college. So yes, it can be played that way. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, vicvinegar said:

A lot of programs practice this way everyday. Both H.S. and college. So yes, it can be played that way. 

Of course it can be - but my point in my original post is that during these 11X11 "competitions" - someone most always takes it over the edge. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

it is and has been since its inception of restrictions to FOOTBALL ONLY for like 15 years, I think Soccer and Volleyball have minor summer restrictions, however since the inception of summer rules in Indiana, as we know it today, its 12 total shells/pro Pads/Contact practices, however you call it, in those 12, 5 can be used against another program.   

You know what helps is reaching out to local officials in your area, they want to get work in, build relationships, etc, at least that has been my/our experiences.  When we host we always have a crew there.  We also cook hot dogs for everyone and send them off with dogs and water post game.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2023 at 8:37 AM, jets said:

Not to hijack this thread - but the title of it reminded me that we are almost to my "favorite" (SARCASM) part of the football season - the PLAY TO THUD/QUICK WHISTLE portion of the summer with these 11X11 scrimmages or whatever you want to call them

Some annoyances to try and avoid for you new coaches - or advice for coaches that just don't get it:

1. This is NOT the Super Bowl

2. Your actions (Coaches) a lot of times will "fuel" the problems that will arise in the scrimmage. (Hooting/hollering, chest-bumping, etc...)

3. Football is already a combative and emotional sport, don't egg it on by inappropriate actions - AND, if you have a player taking it over the edge, remove him/her until they understand no trophies are handed out in June/July

4. As you can probably tell, I DESPISE these things cause I don't really think football can be played at THUD level...someone (either an RB lowering his shoulder) or a safety running full speed downhill will start it...then the next play someone else has to get it back, and on and on. 

- That said, I know they are not going away - so here is to hoping everyone stays healthy and understands the purpose of these things. 

Amen brother.