Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sectional 6

Another nice night for football!  I will be good for this old fan to be up by the press box at Arlington!  It's one of the best views in Central Indiana.

I hope to see a lot of Irish fans, cheering the Irish on in the first game of the sectionals.

GO IRISH!!!!!!

Lots of fans missed a tremendous offensive football game!  It was the track meet that most thought it would be but much closer than expected, mostly because Lawrence North played their hearts out!  The old saying is that speed kills, and the LN speed almost ended the season for the Irish.  LN jumped out to a 21-10 lead in the 2nd quarter, but the Irish battled back a took a 24-21 lead at halftime.  Cathedral led the entire 4th quarter but were only up 37-35 with less than a minute left, and facing 4th down and 10.  After LN used their last time out, the Irish iced the game with a Danny O'Neil to Jaron Tibbs TD and a 44-35 win.  This was truly survive and advance for the Irish!

Next up is the sectional 6 championship game, as Cathedral will be at Lawrence Central for that one.  It could be another track meet!

7 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Lots of fans missed a tremendous offensive football game!  It was the track meet that most thought it would be but much closer than expected, mostly because Lawrence North played their hearts out!  The old saying is that speed kills, and the LN speed almost ended the season for the Irish.  LN jumped out to a 21-10 lead in the 2nd quarter, but the Irish battled back a took a 24-21 lead at halftime.  Cathedral led the entire 4th quarter but were only up 37-35 with less than a minute left, and facing 4th down and 10.  After LN used their last time out, the Irish iced the game with a Danny O'Neil to Jaron Tibbs TD and a 44-35 win.  This was truly survive and advance for the Irish!

Next up is the sectional 6 championship game, as Cathedral will be at Lawrence Central for that one.  It could be another track meet!

LN has a special talent in Montez Jones. If the coaches can continue to work on his growth and hone his skills he will be even more dangerous. Right now it is a hit or miss. You get some spectacular blow your mind plays and then some ouch plays. I am sure he will only get better with growth only a Junior. Only bad thing is he is 5' 11" probably won't be a QB at the next level, but he is talented enough to transition into a WR at a D-1 College.

Edited by FastpacedO

6 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

I forgot to mention that Cathedral running back Carson Johnson had a career night tonight.  He carried the ball 33 times for 226 yards and two TD's.  Most of his yards were tough yards too!

Johnson played spectacular. There was a series in the 4th I was a little bit shocked. He had 200+ yards rushing at that time and the Irish didn't hand him the ball and went 3 and out. They punted and fortunately came up with a turnover leading to the final scoring drive. Johnson had the hot hand in that game.

Great game, I think most Irish fans (and maybe some players) were looking forward to next week's game to account for smaller crowd size and some missed tackles ..at least in the first half.  Credit to LN early as they had all the momentum in the first half, and Jones was lights-out stud and was throwing and running all over the Irish.

Looking forward to next week vs. Lawrence Central.  Probably will be a track meet, they put up 41 points on Center Grove few weeks ago so our defense must get it together this week at practice.  I am not sure how things will go for the Irish if we give up another 428 yards next week.

Survive and advance right? About the only good thing to come out of last night. Cathedral’s defense needs to figure it out quick or this season is not for long.

On another note, LN may need to be put on notice for next year. Believe I heard 4/5 of their offensive lineman were only sophomores who more than held their own against a Cathedral DL with two D1 commits. Couple skill position guys are back next year and I thought LN’s QB was the best player on the field last night by far. He’s only a junior. I see a little Reese Taylor in him.

Wow, another perfect Friday night for football with temps in high 60's at game time!

I think Irish will put up a lot of points Friday, question is how much will the defense allow to a team that is capable of putting up points?  I think after some brutal practices this week, the Irish D delivers. 

Irish  49

LC  17

47 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

Wow, another perfect Friday night for football with temps in high 60's at game time!

I think Irish will put up a lot of points Friday, question is how much will the defense allow to a team that is capable of putting up points?  I think after some brutal practices this week, the Irish D delivers. 

Irish  49

LC  17

I’ll take LC +31.5 Alex.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Nice Irish defensive effort, but the special teams still needs some work.  I think the wind was a factor for both QB's tonight.

It seemed to me the Irish had some troubles snapping the ball. Several high snaps that seemed to disrupt plays and Special teams. It seemed consistent too. LC had a lot of speed on the D-line perhaps Center was trying to get out quickly, regardless I thought the QB did well getting the snap and making plays.

Probably one of the Irish's better defensive performances of the year.

Edited by FastpacedO

Our defense stepped up big time, pretty much allowing just 7 pts until the late 4Q TD with our second and third units in the game. 

After Danny O'Neil was sacked the 6th time I stopped counting...not sure where that stat line finished up but to credit of LC defense for smothering him and pulling out all the stops.

Great win, bring on Brownsburg!

Understand that game will probably be at Tech?

Edited by Dave007
Nevermind game at Brownsburg.

15 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

Our defense stepped up big time, pretty much allowing just 7 pts until the late 4Q TD with our second and third units in the game. 

After Danny O'Neil was sacked the 6th time I stopped counting...not sure where that stat line finished up but to credit of LC defense for smothering him and pulling out all the stops.

Great win, bring on Brownsburg!

Understand that game will probably be at Tech?

Lawrence Central's D-line was not big, they were however fast and used technique along with their speed very well. The Irish coaching staff I think caught on as the game went along. LC's D-line would come up the field so hard that when the Irish would run inside zone or trap they could rip off 8-9 yards. It was almost like the d-line would run themselves out of making the tackle on inside runs. Early the Irish tried running outside zone but D-line and LB's were too fast for that. When they ran it up the gut they had much more success.

With the sacks I think high snaps were a big contribution to that. Many times the QB had to jump up to get the snap then look for reads. With the speed of the D-line quick reads and release were a necessity, which was not easy when you have to jump up and snag a bad snap. I had not seen much of that this season from their center which makes me think he was trying to get out quickly and his snaps suffered because of it. Of course I could always be wrong and not have a clue just speculating on the eyeball test.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Lawrence Central's D-line was not big, they were however fast and used technique along with their speed very well. The Irish coaching staff I think caught on as the game went along. LC's D-line would come up the field so hard that when the Irish would run inside zone or trap they could rip off 8-9 yards. It was almost like the d-line would run themselves out of making the tackle on inside runs. Early the Irish tried running outside zone but D-line and LB's were too fast for that. When they ran it up the gut they had much more success.

With the sacks I think high snaps were a big contribution to that. Many times the QB had to jump up to get the snap then look for reads. With the speed of the D-line quick reads and release were a necessity, which was not easy when you have to jump up and snag a bad snap. I had not seen much of that this season from their center which makes me think he was trying to get out quickly and his snaps suffered because of it. Of course I could always be wrong and not have a clue just speculating on the eyeball test.

Those are actually very insightful points...and regarding the high snaps  - I totally forgot the center also snapped it over the kickers head for a punt attempt and LC recovered on the Irish 20 yard line in second half.

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

Good points....I totally agree on the inside zone.  It way way more open than the outside.

Friday night the PA was extremely loud and, even though we sat far from it, It was loud enough for me to get a bad ear infection.  I've been to hundreds of high school football games, and can't remember any PA louder!  I was trying to wait until today to see my doctor, but had to go to Med Care yesterday to get meds.  Now I may not make the next game at Brownsburg, which is only 6.4 mile from home.  That's sad for me to even think about.  I'm praying that the meds do the job before then.  I realize that I'm old but I've never had problems like this before, even though I've seen a few hundred auto races in my life too.  The LC staff needs to dial back the sound a few decibels.  

Otherwise, the updates at the LC facility were outstanding!

Edited by PHJIrish