Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

No Clear Mr Football 2022 -- Should they give out the award?

18 minutes ago, MonkeyButt said:

This post and all of the others arguing for who should have won that year is a great example of why we should have a Mr Football for each class.

If you want a true player of the year award, open it up to all grades. Most states have a POY award and it's not limited to just seniors. 

Edited by Footballking16

1 hour ago, MonkeyButt said:

This post and all of the others arguing for who should have won that year is a great example of why we should have a Mr Football for each class.

If we are just talking about D Bell and Kiser and not including Romeir Elliot (whose stats were insane his senior year), not to take away from Kiser bc I believe being on a 1A team he had the opportunity and also was probably needed to play all of those positions and he excelled at them. But would that have been necessary if he played 6A or better yet, the MIC? I believe he still would have been a stud at one or two positions and a Mr Football candidate, but he would not have had to be called on, most likely, to do more than one (depending on the school.) He was a 6A athlete on a 1A team.

The same goes for Bell. He was an amazing WR, 4 year starter at Warren, and also probably the best DB his junior and senior year. Also an amazing special teams player. How good would he have been on a 1A team? See what I am saying. We can have this argument all day long, but at the end of the day it is merely our opinions because we don't know unless they reversed roles. Both kids were special HS players and it could have gone either way with either of them winning Mr Football. 

Let me include that both kids are amazing and outstanding people and huge inspirations to their communities.

I think I would be okay with mr football for every class.  But I don’t want it to just be whoever makes it to state at the lower levels like the mental attitude award is for.  

for the most part though…I really only see 6A fans complaining about who won on a year….it really bugs the 6A fans when a small school player wins it from my perspective.  

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I think I would be okay with mr football for every class.  But I don’t want it to just be whoever makes it to state at the lower levels like the mental attitude award is for.  

for the most part though…I really only see 6A fans complaining about who won on a year….it really bugs the 6A fans when a small school player wins it from my perspective.  

IHSAA doesn't do itself any favors with the way they do things when it comes to the playoffs and these awards. 

On 10/24/2022 at 9:04 PM, fenderbender said:

Ringer is very, very, good and should be in contention next year.  I think he suffers a little from EC being a little out of the spot light due to location and New Pal getting a lot of team press.  (EC is overshadowed by New Pal by being ranked higher.). EC may very well get an opportunity to do something about that in the playoffs.  

I may be really off base, but Tibbs is a great player whose individual accomplishments get all lumped into a great Cathedral team performance.   

Hansen got the early press with his big start to the season and Bowen was at the top of the list due to last year.  I think it is down to those two.  

I have seen Cathedral play several times this year and Tibbs is awfully good and fun to watch

But I think the award belongs to Hansen and I don’t think it’s a close decision 

52 minutes ago, JohnRob said:

I have seen Cathedral play several times this year and Tibbs is awfully good and fun to watch

But I think the award belongs to Hansen and I don’t think it’s a close decision 

I look forward to seeing Tibbs play in the Old Gold and Black next season.  They sure could use him.

With a big game and a win, I would feel comfortable putting Tibbs in the conversation. Currently has modest numbers (compared to Bowen and Hansen) 54 catches 842 yards and 13 TD's but has also played two less games due to a bye week for Cathedral as well as 6A having one less playoff round. He's averaging a TD every 4th touch which is a stat that stands out the most to me. 

Jayden Whitaker Brownsburg QB probably deserves to be in the conversation so long as Brownsburg stays in the tournament. 

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

With a big game and a win, I would feel comfortable putting Tibbs in the conversation. Currently has modest numbers (compared to Bowen and Hansen) 54 catches 842 yards and 13 TD's but has also played two less games due to a bye week for Cathedral as well as 6A having one less playoff round. He's averaging a TD every 4th touch which is a stat that stands out the most to me. 

Jayden Whitaker Brownsburg QB probably deserves to be in the conversation so long as Brownsburg stays in the tournament. 

It is the two questions that no one can answer:  How much ground did he have to make up?   Are voters outside of Central Indiana getting enough exposure to him?  This could be one disadvange to being in 6A is that he won't play teams outside of central Indiana in the playoffs until maybe the State Finals.   

40 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

It is the two questions that no one can answer:  How much ground did he have to make up?   Are voters outside of Central Indiana getting enough exposure to him?  This could be one disadvange to being in 6A is that he won't play teams outside of central Indiana in the playoffs until maybe the State Finals.   

I think this is a year where there isn't a clear cut favorite nor a year where there was a heavy preseason favorite so that may play into favor for someone like Tibbs.

Don't know about the exposure aspect and not really sure that it matters much. I would guess most 5A/6A previous winners from Central Indiana likely didn't have that kind of exposure either. 

On 10/25/2022 at 10:20 PM, Footballking16 said:

You could make a reasonable argument that David Bell wasn’t even the “best” player on his team that year. Without a doubt he was the most talented player, but people forget that Romeir Elliott ran for 3000+ yards and 41 TD’s that same year. Elliott should feel every bit as snubbed as Bell.

I think that year the Mr Football finished in this order   

1 Kiser 

2 Bell 

3 Lindauer 

4 Elliott 

5 George 

Crazy Warren Central had 3 of top 5 vote getters.  Not 100% on George. I think the 3 finalists were Kiser, Bell, and Lindauer.  What a year.  

Edited by Screagle

4 minutes ago, Screagle said:

1 Kiser 

2 Bell 

3 Lindauer 

4 Elliott 

5 George 

Crazy Warren Central had 3 of top 5 vote getters.  Not 100% on George. I think the 3 finalists were Kiser, Bell, and Lindauer.  What a year.  

Crazy that George Karlaftis didn't make it either. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Screagle said:

1 Kiser 

2 Bell 

3 Lindauer 

4 Elliott 

5 George 

Kiser had 2 previous state finals runs, including a win to build that early case.

22 minutes ago, MonkeyButt said:

So what about the position awards. I know we are all here arguing for the overall. What about specific position awards for Mr Football?

QB - Whitaker

RB - Hansen 

WR - Tibbs

TE - The kid from Mt. Vernon Fortville (Forgot name, sorry) 

OL - Could be a lot of guys but maybe Lauck from Roncalli 

DL - Mickens 

LB - Bowen 

DB - Not sure 

Just off the top of my head, could be more deserving candidates 

Edited by scarab527
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scarab527 said:

QB - Whitaker

RB - Hansen 

WR - Tibbs

TE - The kid from Mt. Vernon Fortville (Forgot name, sorry) 

OL - Could be a lot of guys but maybe Lauck from Roncalli 

DL - Mickens 

LB - Bowen 

DB - Not sure 

Just off the top of my head, could be more deserving candidates 

Pretty good stab at it.

Berglund at DB would get my vote.

Luke Hansen went for right at 200 against New Palestine tonight. He started the game with one of the most violent sacks I’ve seen and continued to be a difference maker on the defensive side of the ball all game. He also broke Roncalli’s career rushing record tonight. 

• Like 1