Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Is your school open for business on Saturday?

25 minutes ago, Rodney said:

I was in the weight room 4 hours a day 7 days a week all 6 years of high school

and I turned out alright

That you did Rodney, that you did. You're a fan favorite on this forum, definitely doing something right. 

2 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Doesn't matter what they want to be classified as.  In the eyes of American law and American society they are children.

Your motive is different though. You don't refer to them as children because American law says so. You do it to spark controversy. Congratulations on succeeding. 

6 minutes ago, BTF said:

Your motive is different though. You don't refer to them as children because American law says so. You do it to spark controversy. Congratulations on succeeding. 

And what exactly is my motivation BTF?  Go ahead an spit it out if you think you know.  Don't be afraid.

2 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

And what exactly is my motivation BTF?  Go ahead an spit it out if you think you know.  Don't be afraid.

I'm just speculating. I'm not sure exactly what your motivation is, other than knowing point blank that a varsity football player probably doesn't want to be referred to as a child. 

6 minutes ago, BTF said:

I'm just speculating. I'm not sure exactly what your motivation is, other than knowing point blank that a varsity football player probably doesn't want to be referred to as a child. 

And what does that matter?  Their little feelings may get hurt when the objective truth is state to them?  

My motivation is simple.  To deemphasize the game of tackle football, along with all extracurricular activities at government schools.  Things like fancy stadiums, artificial turf, end zone cameras and drones, etc. are just expensive extravagances.  It is a game, played by children.  'Nuff said.

Edited by Muda69

12 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

And what does that matter?  Their little feelings may get hurt when the objective truth is state to them?  

My motivation is simple.  To deemphasize the game of tackle football, along with all extracurricular activities at government schools.  Things like fancy stadiums, artificial turf, end zone cameras and drones, etc. are just expensive extravagances.  It is a game, played by children.  'Nuff said.

"Little feelings." Again, controversial words. 

As a taxpayer, I have no issues with artificial turf, endzone cameras, and drones. It actually makes good business sense. A team that utilizes endzone cameras and drones is invested in putting a good football team on the field. A good football team draws more fans. More fans draw more money for the athletic department. Can we agree that athletics is an important part of the high school experience and that much can be learned from playing sports? I'm all about supporting high school athletics. If you'd rather give your hard earned money to million dollar athletes and billionaire team owners, that's on you. I'm a proponent of high school athletics and always will be. Have yet to watch an NFL game this year. 

Turf? Again, good business. I'm not sure what the numbers are because I haven't looked into it. But overall, an artificial field pays for itself by eliminating all the maintenance involved over the course of 20 years. Football players benefit. Soccer players benefit. Band members benefit. Lacrosse players benefit.............just to name a few. 

Edited by BTF
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Muda69 said:

<insert deity here> forbid we let children be children for once, especially on a weekend. No, practically every waking moment of their birth-to-18 existence must be filled with planned (by adults) activities and "optional" workouts. 

Where did anyone here mention that this was planned (by adults) activities? I know many schools have open gyms and weight rooms on Saturday. Optional does mean it is their choice, they can choose to workout/lift weights or choose to be a kid and do something else. Did it ever occur to you that perhaps some of these young men and women play the sport and workout for that sport because they love it and not because of what an adult tells them to do. Just like some like to skateboard, ride dirt bikes, play chess, etc. etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BTF said:

Can we agree that athletics is an important part of the high school experience and that much can be learned from playing sports?

No, I don't believe we can agree on that.  There are myriad other options besides sports that can teach children valuable lessons.

4 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Where did anyone here mention that this was planned (by adults) activities? I know many schools have open gyms and weight rooms on Saturday. Optional does mean it is their choice, they can choose to workout/lift weights or choose to be a kid and do something else. Did it ever occur to you that perhaps some of these young men and women play the sport and workout for that sport because they love it and not because of what an adult tells them to do. Just like some like to skateboard, ride dirt bikes, play chess, etc. etc.

So the government high school weight room is opened up on Saturday morning and supervised by the children?

Edited by Muda69
  • Kill me now 1

On 11/9/2022 at 9:25 AM, coachkj said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't the New Pal softball team lifted on the day of one of their state championships.  There are STILL baseball coaches who believe (even in the off season) that pitchers shouldn't lift like every other athlete. Really unbelivable.

Coach Vanderbush from Ben Davis gave us a presentation regarding his program. He had multiple peer reviewed studies that actually showed increased game performance with his seven core lift program….that every athlete at BD did every day. I fought this crap when I was coaching, including a Track/XC coach/counselor who did everything in his power to keep kids out out weights. Coach Vanderbush’s results speak for themselves, until someone shows me different, go push the iron. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

I laugh at some of these posts who would lift after a football game? You need to rest and recover I can’t believe the ignorance of some of these coaches, but then again alot of them don’t have formal training in health and nutrition. 

I can't speak for all schools, but I know the knowledge of the CG staff to include their strength and conditioning coach/expert. I trust them completely.

Lifting on open Saturdays doesn't always mean following a game the night prior.  Days after the game will be time spent studying video, time in the pool, supporting the JV and freshman teams playing, etc.  

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Muda69 said:

No, I don't believe we can agree on that.  There are myriad other options besides sports that can teach children valuable lessons.

1.) So the government high school weight room is opened up on Saturday morning and 2.)supervised by the children?

1.) Yes many are opened on Saturday, heck sometimes there are athletic and non-athletic extra curricular activities on Saturday. Are you against Brain Games, Model UN, Chess competition, Show Choir competitions, and Band Competitions on Saturday? Or is it only athletic events and you talk out of both ends).

2.) that was your wording not mine. Most schools that have open gyms or weight rooms have strength/conditioning coaches  or physical education teachers that volunteer their time to supervise the gym, weight room, or pool (unless of course for the gym or pool there is a competition then you have surervision already).

Edited by FastpacedO

8 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

2.) that was your wording not mine. Most schools that have open gyms or weight rooms have strength/conditioning coaches  or physical education teachers that volunteer their time to supervise the gym, weight room, or pool (unless of course for the gym or pool there is a competition then you have surervision already).

So it is run by adults.  Got it.

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

Lifting on open Saturdays doesn't always mean following a game the night prior.  Days after the game will be time spent studying video, time in the pool, supporting the JV and freshman teams playing, etc.  

Or my son's favorite, yoga.  Which he refers to as 'gas.'. 

• Haha 1

Just to reiterate. This topic was meant to draw attention to the overall culture at Center Grove.............all atheletes, all sports. Personally? I'd be surprised to see football players in there on a Saturday morning pumping iron. But I don't know since I'm not an expert on the topic. All I know is that their weight room was packed on a recent Saturday morning. If your competitors (all sports) are lifting weights on a Saturday morning, you may want to do the same.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BTF said:

Just to reiterate. This topic was meant to draw attention to the overall culture at Center Grove.............all atheletes, all sports. Personally? I'd be surprised to see football players in there on a Saturday morning pumping iron. But I don't know since I'm not an expert on the topic. All I know is that their weight room was packed on a recent Saturday morning. If your competitors (all sports) are lifting weights on a Saturday morning, you may want to do the same.

Schools like Center Grove desire to be called a "Blue Blood" program when they are not.  You are not upon apart of the stature of IHSAA's lore with only one coaches success as with Eric Moore.  CG is definitely in a position to gain that access, but without the longevity outside of one coaches reign, you cannot say you belong.

Their Junior Trojan program shows great promise, there is plenty of strong years to come from the CG program.  However, program transcendence shows true prestige.  

Edited by IndplsCathedral_Dad
  • Kill me now 1

40 minutes ago, BTF said:

You must know Coach Griffin

3 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Please, elaborate. Can the children be there without an adult being present?

Would you want teenagers within the school and using weight lifting equipment without supervision? I think all your questions have been answered.

Now answer mine. Do you have a problem with Brain Games, Model UN, Choir Competition, Band Competition or only athletics on Saturday? Or do you not want us to know if you talk out of both ends.

8 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Would you want teenagers within the school and using weight lifting equipment without supervision? I think all your questions have been answered.

Yes, if they had been sufficiently trained in the use of such equipment.  

https://www.freerangekids.com/

9 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Now answer mine. Do you have a problem with Brain Games, Model UN, Choir Competition, Band Competition or only athletics on Saturday? Or do you not want us to know if you talk out of both ends.

Yes, I have a problem with all government high school extracurricular activities.  IMO they should not exist as an extension of the government school .

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Yes, if they had been sufficiently trained in the use of such equipment.  

https://www.freerangekids.com/

Yes, I have a problem with all government high school extracurricular activities.  IMO they should not exist as an extension of the government school .

Being sufficiently trained on the equipment has nothing to do with it. A teenager can be sufficiently trained on the equipment and be severely injured due to "horseplay". I know a novel idea that teenagers might horseplay without knowing dangers.

Of course you say you do. Were you a sheltered child growing up? Did you intentionally avoid any extra-curricular activities growing up? Why do you feel extra-curricular activities should not exist at public school?

Here are the top 6 benefits of participating in extracurricular activities and sports.

1. Cultivates Leadership Opportunities

Most high school extracurricular activities provide an opportunity to take on a leadership role. In that role students will be given responsibilities and learn to communicate with their peers from a position of authority. This develops needed skills for the future, and it also looks great on college applications.

2. Enhances Teamwork Experience

Whether playing a sport, participating in a club, or performing in a play, students will be working with their peers. While coursework is typically an individual activity, extracurricular activities teach students how to work with different types of people. Being a team player and adapting to their environment will benefit them in the future.

3. Develops Time Management Skills

High school is a busy time. Students have a lot going on, from academics to sports to clubs. When students take part in extracurricular activities, they will learn how to manage their time effectively out of necessity. Juggling several assignments and activities is a skill that will put them ahead of the game when they’re in college.

4. Promotes Networking Skills

During practice, rehearsal, or club meetings, students are interacting with their peers and making new friends with similar interests. Finding common ground and striking up conversation is the cornerstone of success in the professional world. This develops the networking skills they will need in the future.

5. Fosters Confidence

The more students accomplish, the more confident they become. In their extracurricular activities, students will learn how to work hard, have fun, and accomplish their goals. This establishes a strong foundation and instills confidence to help them advance in the future.

6. Increases Academic Performance

If students take part in activities they are passionate about, they will learn concentration and focus. That concentration will carry over into their academic life and improve their academic performance. In particular, if students are involved in sports or performing arts, they will gain endurance and achieve stamina that is needed to perform well academically.

Overall, extracurricular activities will help prepare your child for college and their professional future. Armed with these advanced skills, they can overcome obstacles in the future, and achieve success and happiness.

• Thanks 2