Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

4A #1 New Palestine at #2 Roncalli

Surprised a thread isn't up yet. This should be a dynamite matchup between two very good programs, two well-coached teams and quite possibly the two best offensive lines in the state. 

I'll post the game notes from each school when they're made public (New Pal's are done but will be put out Thursday, I believe Roncalli's will be pushed out at the same time), but I'm looking forward to this game. 

I know broadcasts will be on IHSAAtv (video) & radio broadcasts on both the Roncalli Media Network and on NewPalRadio.com, depending on which slant you want. I'll be doing the New Pal broadcast. 

8 minutes ago, RLS1 said:

Has Roncalli played on the road yet in the tournament?I'm not sure how that works.

Technically no, because of Shortridge did not have enough seating. But if you really want to project it, if Roncalli wins and Memorial wins, Roncalli will host Memorial in the SS, making it 5 straight home games. There is a rumor on the FB page saying Roncalli has to travel for SS, take it with a grain of salt

11 hours ago, fenderbender said:

Technically both games against the IPS schools were away games that they hosts chose to play at Roncallinbecasue of seating capacity. 

I believe the Attucks game was a scheduled Roncalli home game, but Shortridge was a designated road game that Shortridge agreed to move to Roncalli. 

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see what Roncalli can do through the air.

The one thing I thought they have missed in the Regional loss last year and most of this season was the big play through the pass to keep the D honest.

Lockard provided that last year at WR and he did not play against Mt Vernon.

They have seemed to find something with the TE the last few games.

2 hours ago, fenderbender said:

It will be interesting to see what Roncalli can do through the air.

The one thing I thought they have missed in the Regional loss last year and most of this season was the big play through the pass to keep the D honest.

Lockard provided that last year at WR and he did not play against Mt Vernon.

They have seemed to find something with the TE the last few games.

I was told weeks ago that it was an obvious proven fact that Roncalli did not have a passing game.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Sledge said:

Anyone know if this one will be streamed? Roncalli Media Network on YouTube?

All tournament games are on IHSAAtv if they're video streamed, and Roncalli does video stream its home games. 

Roncalli Media Network & NewPalRadio.com will have audio streams, depending on which school's slant you want to enjoy (I'll be doing the New Pal PXP). 

7 minutes ago, sidelineworker said:

How will NP's Thomas being out affect the running game?  How can they win with a major player out like him?

Kyler Kropp came in for Thomas and ran for 148 yards having not practiced at RB for several weeks against Greenfield-Central, then ran for 112 and three TDs on eight carries last week. Honestly, there's not much of a drop-off from Thomas to Kropp, but they're different style runners. What changes is they now can't both be on the field at the same time, so NP loses a little bit of offensive flexibility as Kropp was very good in the passing game as a slot receiver. 

On 11/9/2022 at 8:38 AM, MonkeyButt said:

I do and I don't since I have a personal stake in this being a New Pal fan. Regardless I just hope we are the ones continuing on. Looking forward to see what Roncalli has to offer.

As someone with a stake in the game, I'd prefer a stress-free 20+-point win, but I'll enjoy a good game. 

On 11/9/2022 at 8:18 AM, crimsonace1 said:

I believe the Attucks game was a scheduled Roncalli home game, but Shortridge was a designated road game that Shortridge agreed to move to Roncalli. 

I had read that both IPS schools were scheduled for home games, but neither one had the appropriate stadium to host. Even at that, it doesn't seem right that Roncalli gets four straight at home, being that New Pal has already played one tournament game on the road. 

44 minutes ago, WestfieldRocks said:

I had read that both IPS schools were scheduled for home games, but neither one had the appropriate stadium to host. Even at that, it doesn't seem right that Roncalli gets four straight at home, being that New Pal has already played one tournament game on the road. 

That was floating around but is incorrect. 

Their first-round game was drawn to be at Shortridge and was Shortridge's home game. At IPS/Shortridge's request, it was moved to Roncalli due to the better field and larger stands (the visitor's side at Roncalli has more seats than Shortridge's field has at all). Even though the game was moved, it remained a Shortridge home game. 

Because Roncalli was the "visiting" team and Attucks the "home" team in the first week of the sectional, Roncalli was the host team for the second round game against Attucks. Some might have interpreted that as an Attucks home game because it was in the bottom bracket and both teams were home the previous week, but Roncalli's game was a designated road game. Attucks plays its home games at the old Northwest HS, which has an old facility but is adequate for this level of game. 

Even if New Pal had played a road game, regional and semistate host is only based on who was home/away the previous round - both teams were home, and the odd-numbered sectionals have the tiebreaker when that's the case, so Roncalli would have hosted even if its Week 1 game had truly been a home game (there is a caveat for semistate that if one of the teams has not hosted the sectional final or regional, it would host the semistate). 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

That was floating around but is incorrect. 

Their first-round game was drawn to be at Shortridge and was Shortridge's home game. At IPS/Shortridge's request, it was moved to Roncalli due to the better field and larger stands (the visitor's side at Roncalli has more seats than Shortridge's field has at all). Even though the game was moved, it remained a Shortridge home game. 

Because Roncalli was the "visiting" team and Attucks the "home" team in the first week of the sectional, Roncalli was the host team for the second round game against Attucks. Some might have interpreted that as an Attucks home game because it was in the bottom bracket and both teams were home the previous week, but Roncalli's game was a designated road game. Attucks plays its home games at the old Northwest HS, which has an old facility but is adequate for this level of game. 

Even if New Pal had played a road game, regional and semistate host is only based on who was home/away the previous round - both teams were home, and the odd-numbered sectionals have the tiebreaker when that's the case, so Roncalli would have hosted even if its Week 1 game had truly been a home game (there is a caveat for semistate that if one of the teams has not hosted the sectional final or regional, it would host the semistate). 

Thanks for the explanation. Surely this is an odd situation. Maybe the IHSAA can do something to prevent it in the future.

2 hours ago, WestfieldRocks said:

Thanks for the explanation. Surely this is an odd situation. Maybe the IHSAA can do something to prevent it in the future.

It is what it is. A host school can choose to play a game anywhere - including the opposing team's field - but retains "home team" privileges and designation in the tournament. 

In 1999, Mt. Vernon made it to the regional round and never hosted a game. It's rare, but it is possible for a team to be home or away several weeks throughout the tournament. There's a scenario in which Roncalli could host next week, too (if they win and Evansville Memorial wins, because Memorial is home this week and this regional has the tiebreaker. New Pal would be home next week regardless of opponent - which, if it comes to pass, would be NP's fifth consecutive semistate game at home since 2014).