• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

Head Coach Openings 2017   10/17/2016

Frankton: Randy England  Bobby Ryan Promoted  Franklin Community:  Adam Reese  Chris Coll hired from Tri-West Martinsville: Brad Rose  Carter Whitson Hired  Lake Central: Brett St. Germain Tony Bartolomeo Promoted South Bend Clay: Craig Redman  Will Porter Hired from South Vermilion  Boone Grove:  Tony Tinkel   Dan Kukulski Promoted  Mooresville:  Chad Dockery Mike Gillin hired from Indian Creek Wood Memorial:  Caleb Cherry/Archer  Bret Kramer Hired Tippecanoe Valley:  Shriver/Norris   Stephen Moriarty  Hired Corydon Central:  Andrew Smith    Aaron Humphrey Hired Calumet New Tech:  Rik Richards  Rick Good Hired  Winamac:  Tim Roth Craig Barr Hired   Tri-West: Chris Coll Tyler Bruce Promoted North Central (Indy): Kevin Kreinhagen Kevin O'Shea hired from Lafayette Central Catholic Indy Chatard:  Vince Lorenzano Rob Doyle Promoted Paoli: Brian Balsmeyer Jeremy Lowery Promoted Mt. Vernon (Fortville): Doug Armstrong  Neil Kazmierczak  Hired from Lebanon  Bluffton: Randy Hudgins Brett Kunkel Hired Indian Creek: Mike Gillin Brett Cooper Hired Vincennes Lincoln:  Jon Heiden  Levi Salters Promoted  Frankfort:  Joel Sienicki Eric Davis Hired from Tri-County South Vermillion:  Will Porter  Greg Barrett hired from North Putnam Riverton Parke:  Jake Weber Brad Sanders Promoted Elkhart Central:  Levon Johnson Josh Shattuck hired from Seymour Mt. Vernon (Posey) Paul Meirer Cory Brunson hired from Evansville Harrison Richmond:  Matt Holeva  Abe Tawfeek hired from Indy Northwest Lebanon:    Neil Kazmierczak Jeff Smock Hired North White:  Jim Davis Kirk Quasebarth Promoted  North Posey:   Paul Rynkiewich  Waylon Schenk hired from Princeton  Pike Central:  Dustin Powell   Erik Mattingly Hired  John Glenn:  Damon Groves Austin Faust Promoted North Putnam:  Greg Barrett Sam Carnes Hired  Lafayette Central Catholic: Kevin O'Shea Don Coller Promoted  Evansville Harrison: Cory Brunson Lane Oxley Hired Indianapolis Roncalli:  Bruce Scifres Scott Marsh Promoted  Anderson Prep Academy: Jeffrey Dorman Randy Albano Hired Princeton:   Waylon Schenk   Jared Maners Hired Ft. Wayne North:  Mike Cochran Michael Brevard Hired Turkey Run:  Steve Stewart Bruce Scaggs Hired Indianapolis Northwest:   Abe Tawfeek Jonas Williams Promoted Tri-County:  Eric Davis  Sam Zachary Hired Carroll Community:  Mark Brown Kevin Sayler Promoted  Oldenburg Academy:  Wes Gillman  Union County:  Rusty Hensley Joel Hofmann promoted Edgewood: Jerry Bland Brian Rosenburg Hired Seymour:  Josh Shattuck  Michael Kelly Hired Wawasee:  Josh Ekovich Michael Eshbach hired from Eastside Muncie Central:  Adam Morris Scott Pethtel Hired Benton Central:  Ed Roberson  Mike Hammons  Promoted  Western:  Ron Jankovich Alex Stewart Hired New Castle:  Will Ragle  Kyle York Hired Sullivan:  Trent Olson Blaine Powell promoted Northwestern:  Alex Stewart Steve Disler hired  Clinton Central:  Isaac Sturgis Justin Gardiner Hired North Miami:  Mark Lefebvre  Joe Grant Hired from Rochester Spring Valley Justin Scheller Mark Hammond Hired  Edinburgh:  Derrick Ball  Jason Burton Hired Eastside: Michael Eshbach Steve Cooley promoted Rochester: Joe Grant Brian Hooker Hired Cloverdale: Tony Meyer Tom Winder Promoted Hammond Clark: Eric Schreiber  Hammond Noll:  Colin McCullough  Wayne Racine hired Lake Station:  Adam Hudak   South Central:  Eric Stephens Buzz Schoff Hired  Caston:  Brady Jones  Tony Slocum Promoted  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lebowski

2016 Hoosiers

356 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, bobref said:

Anyone have any insight as to the likely start time for the Bucket game? Still listed as "TBA" on the website.

Would guess 12 or 3:30. 

4 hours ago, bobref said:

Anyone have any insight as to the likely start time for the Bucket game? Still listed as "TBA" on the website.

Big ten won't let us know for 2 weeks.  They just posted next weeks Penn St game as noon.  I'd like to go to the Bucket game but my son can't....

17 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Here we are, 5-4, 3-3 in the B10 and we want to act like the sky is falling. Sure, it was painful to watch portions of the game today. But I'll tell you what, this is the first IU team in 30 years built to win a type of game like that. Defense played lights out. Any other IU team dating back to the end of the Mallory era would have gotten routed with the amount of miscues and turnovers we saw today. But not this Wilson team. 

Rutgers, man.  Any other team in the Big Ten and IU loses that game.  

My guess would be a noon start

Indiana plays like that against Purdue and they lose by double digits....

I copied and pasted this from something I read on another IU Forum, took the words right out of my mouth. It's all about perspective. A winning culture has to start somewhere.

A little historic perspective is useful here

We’re currently 3-3 in Big Ten play, with wins over MSU, UMD, and ru. There are three games remaining – a tough and evidently much improved Penn State team (I expect a hard fought loss), a certain loss – probably by 4 or more touchdowns) at Michigan, and the finale back home against Purdue – probably a tougher than anticipated win. We’ll probably go 4-5 overall. This is the first time we’ve played 9 conference games since the early 80’s – if we’d just played eight, we would have skipped one of the western teams: Nebraska/Northwestern, both of which were losses. So, to put this in perspective, we’d be pretty likely to finish 4-4 in an eight game conference leg, with an outside shot at 5 wins if we get some breaks against the Nits.

So, when’s the last time Indiana had four conference wins in a season? Not under Wilson – in fact, this is just the second season Kevin Wilson has beaten three B1G teams. It wasn’t under Lynch – the 2007 Insight Bowl season featured a 3-5 conference record. Hell, it took DiNardo three full seasons to get 3 conference wins combined! We have to go back 15 years to the 2001 season – ARE’s senior year – to find the last Indiana team to win 4 conference games.

So, this is ALREADY one of the best three seasons in the current century as far as Big Ten wins goes, and we still have three games left on the slate to add to those wins! You have to go back to 1993 – before most (maybe all!) of our current football players were born before you’ll find a team that won five conference games.

Is this team frustrating? Yes, especially the issues the offense has had all season. Lagow alternates nice strikes with awful decisions, the line’s decimated, and our running backs are a step back from Howard and Coleman. But, do we expect the team to score 35 points a game against top 20 teams? Yes we do, because we’ve been spoiled by the expectations Kevin Wilson has instilled in us for excellent offense!

So now, in spite of all of the issues, including some ones inflicted by the playcalling, we’re unhappy that we’re not winning prettier, or that we couldn’t beat a ranked Nebraska team (think about that for a moment). Appreciate what we have, which is an historically excellent season for Indiana football…. and with a very good chance (one win over Purdue) to be the best season in a quarter-century.

http://www.crimsonquarry.com/2016/11/6/13540260/indiana-33-rutger-27-making-sense-of-the-win

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

I copied and pasted this from something I read on another IU Forum, took the words right out of my mouth. It's all about perspective. A winning culture has to start somewhere.

We’re currently 3-3 in Big Ten play, with wins over MSU, UMD, and ru. There are three games remaining – a tough and evidently much improved Penn State team (I expect a hard fought loss), a certain loss – probably by 4 or more touchdowns) at Michigan, and the finale back home against Purdue – probably a tougher than anticipated win. We’ll probably go 4-5 overall. This is the first time we’ve played 9 conference games since the early 80’s – if we’d just played eight, we would have skipped one of the western teams: Nebraska/Northwestern, both of which were losses. So, to put this in perspective, we’d be pretty likely to finish 4-4 in an eight game conference leg, with an outside shot at 5 wins if we get some breaks against the Nits.

So, when’s the last time Indiana had four conference wins in a season? Not under Wilson – in fact, this is just the second season Kevin Wilson has beaten three B1G teams. It wasn’t under Lynch – the 2007 Insight Bowl season featured a 3-5 conference record. Hell, it took DiNardo three full seasons to get 3 conference wins combined! We have to go back 15 years to the 2001 season – ARE’s senior year – to find the last Indiana team to win 4 conference games.

So, this is ALREADY one of the best three seasons in the current century as far as Big Ten wins goes, and we still have three games left on the slate to add to those wins! You have to go back to 1993 – before most (maybe all!) of our current football players were born before you’ll find a team that won five conference games.

Is this team frustrating? Yes, especially the issues the offense has had all season. Lagow alternates nice strikes with awful decisions, the line’s decimated, and our running backs are a step back from Howard and Coleman. But, do we expect the team to score 35 points a game against top 20 teams? Yes we do, because we’ve been spoiled by the expectations Kevin Wilson has instilled in us for excellent offense!

So now, in spite of all of the issues, including some ones inflicted by the playcalling, we’re unhappy that we’re not winning prettier, or that we couldn’t beat a ranked Nebraska team (think about that for a moment). Appreciate what we have, which is an historically excellent season for Indiana football…. and with a very good chance (one win over Purdue) to be the best season in a quarter-century.

http://www.crimsonquarry.com/2016/11/6/13540260/indiana-33-rutger-27-making-sense-of-the-win

I like it. Agree(abide) and what us optimists have been telling the pessimist on this subject. 

9 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Here's something I just realized the other day.  Look at how tough the Big Ten is now compared to win Lynch or Mallory were the coach.  You take any of Wilson's last 3 teams and switch out a Lynch or Mallory team and see how they finish.  Back when Mallory was coach, we only played 11 games (3 non conference) meaning you played the conference minus a team each year.  Those were the years of the Big 2 & other 8.  If Ohio St or Michigan were off your schedule you had a shot at finishing 9-2 or better.  With Lynch it was similar except Penn St was in the picture.  You didn't play 2 conference teams.

Now there's 14, IU is in the eastern division and has to play OSU, Michigan, Penn St & Michigan St EVERY year.  Yes MSU is having a down year, but now you count on a 4 loss minimum before you even evaluate the rest of the IU schedule.

Sorry so long winded but although Wilson's team is average on a good day and sucky on others; it certainly is an improvement in entertainment value, game day experience and physicality over Lynch's teams.  

Perhaps with a few few more years of improvements Wilso can again bring in some 4 star recruits and will lead them into the land of double digit W's.

The game with Pennsylvania State Saturday would or could be a HUGE program booster, if the cards fall the right way for Hoosiers.  State is good but beatable. Historically at the Rock, Indiana has always seemed to be in the game until the last play. Indiana needs a kicking game, other than that, hang on to the ball, and we have a W.

4 hours ago, southend said:

The game with Pennsylvania State Saturday would or could be a HUGE program booster, if the cards fall the right way for Hoosiers.  State is good but beatable. Historically at the Rock, Indiana has always seemed to be in the game until the last play. Indiana needs a kicking game, other than that, hang on to the ball, and we have a W.

If IU hangs with this year's Penn State team I'll be pleasantly surprised.  I've seen them play 3 times now and the Lions skill players are about as good as anyone's in the country.  It will be tough for IU to stop them from scoring.  If IU gets the win, they will HAVE to play their best defensive game of the year.  IU's offense should be able to score, but the defense can't give up big plays or Penn State will win and probably by 2 - 3 scores. 

Not only could they hang with Penn State, they dominated a better part of the game. Relly frustrated seeing yet another one get away from them.  

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

Not only could they hang with Penn State, they dominated a better part of the game. Relly frustrated seeing yet another one get away from them.  

Certainly did coach, for the better part of 3 quarters even. Missed a bunch of golden opportunities in the 1H to put them away early but turnovers killed IU, and they were from some of the guys who you'd least expect.

I know the Dude, Komet, etc are going to blast Wilson for his decision to go for it up 3 on 4th and goal from the 1 late in the third, but it was absolutely the right decision. Don't necessarily agree with the play call but honestly think if they score there it takes the wind out of PSU for good.

Bottom line PSU just made 1 or 2 more plays than IU and that was it. PSU was written off by almost everyone earlier in the year but that is a good football team. I thought IU played extremely well (outside the careless turnovers) on both sides of the ball all game.

Edited by Footballking16

Really proud of the hoosiers, way to fight. The culture has changed in Bloomington. The game was up in the air to the end. The nit pickers will always fine something to bitch about, but the team is on the brink. No doubt about it.

Blast away?? Uh yes!!! 5 fumbles, 4 which were turnovers, just in the first half. Play calling was atrocious, even Wilson admitted as much in his post game press conference. Just another brutal statistic in year 6 of his regime..,.

Easy there" Robbie Irons" . Seven years ago Pappa Joe would of had a victory cigar lit up on the side lines in the 3rd. #2, You blame fumbles on the coaches, another joke comment. If play calling was that atrocious, how in the hell did we have a chance to win with 4 min. to go?

Whatever you think of Kevin Wilson at this point, let's take some time to appreciate the job Tom Allen is doing with the IU defense.  I'm not sure there's a coordinator doing a better job than Coach Allen.  That Defense is playing fast, physical, and despite consistently being put in horrible situations by the IU offense/special teams just keeps competing.   The improvement of that unit is remarkable.  

On a side note, I know Diamont has his limitations but it sure seems like the kid's a gamer.  No matter the situation he makes plays.  Lagow was better yesterday no doubt but I wonder...

4 hours ago, komets3001 said:

Blast away?? Uh yes!!! 5 fumbles, 4 which were turnovers, just in the first half. Play calling was atrocious, even Wilson admitted as much in his post game press conference. Just another brutal statistic in year 6 of his regime..,.

Curious to get your thoughts as to what play calling was atrocious? Lagow, in my opinion, had his best game of the year. Brock Huard calling the game was extremely impressed with Lagow's ability.

At what point do we start holding players accountable? IU could win the Rose Bowl and you would still somehow, someway criticize Wilson. The 4 turnovers in the first half had absolutely nothing to do with Wilson. Poor execution/technique is to blame. I dare you to show me an IU team in the last century who could survive 4 first half turnovers and still somehow be tied at the half, let alone against a top 10 team.

Have fun with a 6-6 regular season and even potentially a 5-7 season. That is not acceptable with the talent level on this team. Indiana should rue the Wake Forest loss greatly and their lack of effort vs Northwestern in the first half, both games they should have won. The Rutgers game was an embarrassment winning 33-27. Rutgers is pathetic and being outscored 137-0 vs Michigan and Ohio State is inexcusable and to let that team hang around with a chance to win us shameful.

I'm wondering what talent people are talking about on IU's team?  You do realize that Ohio State and Michigan are playing the game with 4 and 5 star recruits while the majority that IU is getting are 2 and 3 star recruits?  That is like comparing a car race between an old Volkswagen Beetle and a 427 Chevy Corvette.  I suppose if you gave some people $100 million dollars worth of gold, they would still bitch because it was too heavy to carry.  I will applaud a 6 - 6 season and a second bowl game.  That is one sure fire way to start getting those 4 star recruits:  start going to bowl games every year.  IU's defense played great on Saturday.  I said in an earlier post that Penn State was good and was counting that as a loss.  IU had their chances but couldn't take advantage of them.  Paige fumbled twice in the first half.  Usually you don't see that from him.  BUT, it happened.  Still have Michigan and Purdue left. 

The star rating for recruits is not the best use for this discussion. It makes for great fodder for us to throw around. I get what you are saying though. Clearly OSU and other top schools are playing with better athletes. One last dig on the star ratings, I remember this being said when the Patriots and Seahawks met in the Super Bowl. There was not one single 5 star recruit on the rosters.

3 hours ago, komets3001 said:

Have fun with a 6-6 regular season and even potentially a 5-7 season. That is not acceptable with the talent level on this team. Indiana should rue the Wake Forest loss greatly and their lack of effort vs Northwestern in the first half, both games they should have won. The Rutgers game was an embarrassment winning 33-27. Rutgers is pathetic and being outscored 137-0 vs Michigan and Ohio State is inexcusable and to let that team hang around with a chance to win us shameful.

I remember when IU WAS the Rutgers of the B10....

Be careful what you wish, you terminate a coach from a program who has had the most successful back to back seasons in almost 30 years it makes that job almost untouchable.

Gentlemen, if the season ends 5-7 what's your opinion?

9 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Gentlemen, if the season ends 5-7 what's your opinion?

It won't.  6 - 6 at worse.  Michigan just lost their starting QB for the season.  He has a broken collarbone that he got in the Iowa game.  Also Michigan was exposed last week.  Their defense isn't all what it is cracked up to be.  Peppers is getting burned out too.  IF IU is to beat a ranked team (and on the road) this is the week to do it.  However, they can NOT afford 4, 5, or 6 turnovers and stay in the game.  Even without their starting QB, Michigan will pound them if they turn it over a lot.  Lose to Purdue?  Not this season!

Edited by itiswhatitis

1 minute ago, itiswhatitis said:

It won't.  6 - 6 at worse.  Michigan just lost their starting QB for the season.  He has a broken collarbone that he got in the Iowa game.  Also Michigan was exposed last week.  Their defense isn't all what it is cracked up to be.  Peppers is getting burned out too.  IF IU is to beat a ranked team (and on the road) this is the week to do it.  However, they can NOT afford 4, 5, or 6 turnovers and stay in the game.  Michigan will pound them if they turn it over a lot.  Lose to Purdue?  Not this season!

That's not what the Dude asked.  If the season ends 5-7 what's your opinion?

Look here Polish guy, what ifs, and scenarios are troll questions for people, that for the most part, cant put fort a serious argument together to prove a point. I know that's not you so, why ask the hypothetical?

I expected a 5-7 season based on the roster and schedule.  So I'd say it met expectations.