Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Kickoff Question

Stoner

Question

Last night, Tippy Valley kicked off, West Lafayette muffed in the field of play, ball went well into end zone—where WL picked up and returned. Play was blown dead on the tackle. Afterwards, I think official realized his mistake, marked ball as a touchback, and reset the game clock. My hypothetical question is, had there been any flags occurring during the runback, what (if any) fouls would be enforced?

1 answer to this question

1 hour ago, Stoner said:

Last night, Tippy Valley kicked off, West Lafayette muffed in the field of play, ball went well into end zone—where WL picked up and returned. Play was blown dead on the tackle. Afterwards, I think official realized his mistake, marked ball as a touchback, and reset the game clock. My hypothetical question is, had there been any flags occurring during the runback, what (if any) fouls would be enforced?

This is the problem with “do overs.” A thorny question, and one for which ther3 is no clear cut answer. My sense is that safety fouls, e.g., blindside block, facemask, etc., will be enforced. You can’t just pretend they didn’t happen. Same with unsportsmanlike fouls.

Edited by Bobref
  • Like 2