NIC teams in play-off October 27

5a and 6A join the competition this week

Elkhart (3-6) at Penn (8-1), 7 pm

Concord (5-4) at Adams (1-8), 7 pm

New Prairie (8-2) at Kankakee Valley (5-5), 8 pm

Washington (3-7) at NorthWood (8-2), 7 pm

Fairfield (6-4) at Glenn (6-4), 7 pm

Wheeler (6-3) at Bremen (5-5), 7:30 pm

Seems like the more competitive games are in 3A and 2A this week.  The favorites in the top 4 games should move on to Sectional Championships (concord, Penn, New Prairie, Northwood)

• Like 1

Elkhart (3-6) at Penn (8-1) - Game is closer than it should be, but Penn gets a methodical 3 or 4 touchdown win over the Lions. 

Concord (5-4) at Adams (1-8) - Concord rolls past the flailing eagles. 

New Prairie (8-2) at Kankakee Valley (5-5) - Everything points to a Cougar win here. Tough though to gauge the intangibles after a dominating victory over what many considered the sectional championship last week. Do they come out flat? Does KV play out of their minds? these are 16-18 year olds so you never know. Hopefully the "C"ougars roll though as they should.

Washington (3-7) at NorthWood (8-2) - Running clock

Fairfield (6-4) at Glenn (6-4) - This one seems like a toss-up any which way you look at it. Would be good for the JG program though to get the sectional championship

Wheeler (6-3) at Bremen (5-5) - Another tight contest. I'm thinking the Bearcats get it done though

20 minutes ago, npcougar15 said:

Elkhart (3-6) at Penn (8-1) - Game is closer than it should be, but Penn gets a methodical 3 or 4 touchdown win over the Lions. 

Concord (5-4) at Adams (1-8) - Concord rolls past the flailing eagles. 

New Prairie (8-2) at Kankakee Valley (5-5) - Everything points to a Cougar win here. Tough though to gauge the intangibles after a dominating victory over what many considered the sectional championship last week. Do they come out flat? Does KV play out of their minds? these are 16-18 year olds so you never know. Hopefully the "C"ougars roll though as they should.

Washington (3-7) at NorthWood (8-2) - Running clock

Fairfield (6-4) at Glenn (6-4) - This one seems like a toss-up any which way you look at it. Would be good for the JG program though to get the sectional championship

Wheeler (6-3) at Bremen (5-5) - Another tight contest. I'm thinking the Bearcats get it done though

I.was impressed by Fairfield's scheme.  Haven't officiated them in a while, but it was a triple option..mostly approach that was effective .

The yelling JT Dad not withstanding, being completely unaware of wonderful clean game on BOTH sides. 

Good luck to both schools!

Elkhart (3-6) at Penn (8-1), 7 pm: Yay we get to play for a sectional title....shoot it is at Carroll (more than likely)

Concord (5-4) at Adams (1-8), 7 pm: Concord could sleepwalk through this game to a win.

New Prairie (8-2) at Kankakee Valley (5-5), 8 pm: NP. I was worried about their O last week, they woke back up and now look like they are going to be a very tough out in 4A

Washington (3-7) at NorthWood (8-2), 7 pm: Northwood could also sleepwalk through this game to a win. 

Fairfield (6-4) at Glenn (6-4), 7 pm: I've been on the Falcons bandwagon all season...come on boys!

Wheeler (6-3) at Bremen (5-5), 7:30 pm: I hope the Lions can keep their season going. 

17 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

I.was impressed by Fairfield's scheme.  Haven't officiated them in a while, but it was a triple option..mostly approach that was effective .

The yelling JT Dad not withstanding, being completely unaware of wonderful clean game on BOTH sides. 

Good luck to both schools!

Fairfield's coach has been helped by Bart Curtis from Warsaw. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/23/2023 at 11:55 AM, MarshallCounty said:

Not as bad as the teams in the NIC South.

Since it's the last year of the NIC south here is a little history:

Started in 2015 with: New Prairie, Marian, Washington, Riley, Jimtown, Bremen, Glenn.

2015 champions: New Prairie (6-4), Washington (6-4)

2016 champion: Marian (11-2)

2017 champion: New Prairie (11-2)

2018 New Prairie moves up and Clay moves down

2018 champions: Bremen (11-3), Marian (8-5)

2019 champion: Marian (12-2)

2020 Marian moves up

2020 champions: Bremen (9-3), Jimtown (7-4)

2021 champion: jimtown (9-3)

2022 champion: Jimtown (9-3)

2023 champion: Riley (8-2)

Only teams to never win that played in the small school division were Glenn and Clay 

Jimtown = 3 championships in 9 season (all championships came after NP and Marian moved on)

Marian = 3 championships in 5 seasons

NP = 2 championships in 3 seasons

Bremen = 2 championships in 9 seasons

Riley = 1 championship in 9 seasons

Washington = 1 championship in 9 seasons

• Like 2

Goodbye NIC South. It was fun while it lasted. 

So long favorable NIC schedule. It was fun while it lasted.

Tootles Mishawka rivalry, because you will likely be dropped due playing 7 conference games moving forward.

Cannot wait to see Washington and Riley back on that schedule moving forward.... yep cannot wait. 

• Like 1

In all fairness - Warsaw played quite possibly their worst game of the season that week, much of which was self-inflicted by the Tigers. Not trying to take credit away from Wawasee, because I do think they are better than their 1-8 regular season record showed and they made obvious improvements the final 4 weeks of the season.

19 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

In all fairness - Warsaw played quite possibly their worst game of the season that week, much of which was self-inflicted by the Tigers. Not trying to take credit away from Wawasee, because I do think they are better than their 1-8 regular season record showed and they made obvious improvements the final 4 weeks of the season.

I thought the Warsaw vs. Wawasee game was a big rival game? Just saying surprised you say Warsaw was so flat in a rivalry game.

22 hours ago, Coach Lou said:

I thought the Warsaw vs. Wawasee game was a big rival game? Just saying surprised you say Warsaw was so flat in a rivalry game.

Considering Warsaw has dominated that rivalry over the course of history (and prior to this year had won the last 8 meetings by a combined score of 312 - 85, an average score of 39-11) AND the Tigers were fresh off their two BIGGEST games (NorthWood and Mishawaka) - NO, I am not suprised at all that the Tigers were flat. A lot of energy went into the previous two weeks opponents, and then playing a team who was 1-5 on the season and they've crushed for as long as these kids were in elementary school. Happens to teams all the time.

And, in my opinion, Warsaw-Wawasee is a bit of a "forced" rivalry because of them sharing the same county. Plymouth has always felt more like a spirited rival to me personally, whereas Wawasee was the neighborhood friend you liked to beat in a game of one-on-one in the driveway type thing.

22 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Considering Warsaw has dominated that rivalry over the course of history (and prior to this year had won the last 8 meetings by a combined score of 312 - 85, an average score of 39-11) AND the Tigers were fresh off their two BIGGEST games (NorthWood and Mishawaka) - NO, I am not suprised at all that the Tigers were flat. A lot of energy went into the previous two weeks opponents, and then playing a team who was 1-5 on the season and they've crushed for as long as these kids were in elementary school. Happens to teams all the time.

And, in my opinion, Warsaw-Wawasee is a bit of a "forced" rivalry because of them sharing the same county. Plymouth has always felt more like a spirited rival to me personally, whereas Wawasee was the neighborhood friend you liked to beat in a game of one-on-one in the driveway type thing.

Playing two big games in a row can lend to a let down game....just ask Notre Dame how that went for them this year.

Not looking forward to our upcoming scuffle on Friday. Congrats on beating the odds on favorite in our Sectional, and hopefully you have another let down game Friday....(no offense)

23 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Ala: Snider/Northrop sharing the same stadium, with regards to FB.  In other sports, much more of a 'true' rivalry.  

That Penn matchup just reeks of a GREAT HS Football game coming up this week!  Northern Indiana FB, cooler weather, coaches wearing shorts for no reason at all.  

The thought of Penn playing Washington again next year after watching what Northwood did to them last night with little effort is amusing. It was 35-0 at the end of the 1st quarter.  Penn May want to do what teams did with clay and schedule another opponent while sending the JV to play Washington. There is literally nothing that the kingsmen will get out of that matchup. 

51 minutes ago, PantherPride said:

The thought of Penn playing Washington again next year after watching what Northwood did to them last night with little effort is amusing. It was 35-0 at the end of the 1st quarter.  Penn May want to do what teams did with clay and schedule another opponent while sending the JV to play Washington. There is literally nothing that the kingsmen will get out of that matchup. 

I agree 100%, as long as our coaching staff stays in position, I doubt that will occur. Penn coaching staff preaches respecting your opponents. They probably look at sending the JV squad to play them as disrespectful. Also, not having the required conference games, will likely disqualify Penn from winning the NIC title....(something the current staff cares about a lot)

New Prairie almost blew it against an upset minded Kankakee Valley team. NP went up 21-7 with about 5 minutes left in the game. Then after several untimely NP penalties and KV big plays all the sudden it was 21-21 with about a minute to go. KV even had the ball at one point to go in for the win before throwing an interception. In overtime, NP dominated to give the cougars a scare that will hopefully be a wake up call for the rest of their post season.

I will say Kankakee Valley seems like they are a sleeping giant and maybe next year is the year they finally break through. They have a hall of fame coach that knows how to win championships, they have beautiful facilities, and a good community that would rally behind them. They also have a very good junior running back (think he ended the year with 1700 yards) and a lot of good underclassmen on the line of scrimmage. I could see KV bringing home a trophy next year. Unfortunately for the Kougars, they have just had to deal with Hobart, Andrean, Lowell, and Griffith during their history to win any championship. Now they have the people in place to change the culture and start competing and winning against those programs. 

13 hours ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

@ASJCPUMA thank you for continuing to Post for the NIC, even though St. Joe has been knocked out. 

Through the years I have enjoyed high school football and basketball  Went to many game that did not involved the team I follow.  Interested in what local teams do.  Last night I went up to Niles and watch them for 2/3 of the game.  Their QB and RBs are athletic and quick.  May go up there again next Friday.  Whether we agree with the direction of the NIC it is what we have right now.  The future, who knows?