Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IHSAA State Finals now livestream only

While unfortunate for those that can't figure out how to view streamed content, this was a step that people should have seen coming with Bally's bankruptcy. 

The only thing that I've never liked about the exclusivity of broadcasting the state finals, is that it is forcing private companies or even school broadcasts out. 

If a school or broadcaster has been showing the entire season up to the state championship game, I'd like to see the IHSAA give those broadcasters an opportunity to do the game, ESPECIALLY if it's an educational broadcast team. Broadcasting a State Final in Lucas Oil Stadium is an experience that no student would forget. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, LuersLurker said:

Even if Luers made it to the state game.  I would not be paying just to watch it on my computer.  They use to air it for free on television (with commercials of course).

You could download the IHSAA TV ap on your Smart TV and watch it there!

That is why i have had to do, because that was the only way to watch where we live.

4 hours ago, LuersLurker said:

Even if Luers made it to the state game.  I would not be paying just to watch it on my computer.  They use to air it for free on television (with commercials of course).

He's alive. 

4 hours ago, CoachDurham said:

You could download the IHSAA TV ap on your Smart TV and watch it there!

That is why i have had to do, because that was the only way to watch where we live.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I read

it will still cost 20 dollars to view the game.  It does not matter if it is on an  app>  From the IHSAA site:  "To see state finals events, viewers will need to download the free IHSAAtv app to their devices (e.g., a computer, phone or OTT/television appliance device) or visit IHSAAtv.org. The prices to view state finals contests will be the same as buying a ticket at the venue: generally $15 per game or $20 for an all-access pass. The IHSAAtv OTT app is available for Roku, Firestick, Apple TV, and Android Tv devices allowing fans watch in high definition on their televisions."

2 hours ago, BTF said:

He's alive. 

Alive and retired in Summerville, SC.

Edited by LuersLurker

11 hours ago, MarkCalaway said:

The fact that the IHSAA forces you to buy an online ticket as well as an online subscription to view the games tells you all that you need to know. 

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. The individual broadcasts are just PPV. There isn't an online subscription. 

Due to the bankruptcy of Bally Sports, future telecasts of IHSAA state championships will be exclusively as a pay-per-view presentation on IHSAAtv.org.  46 states preceded the IHSAA in charging for viewing.  Additionally, the IHSAA is one of the few that still allow free-to-watch presentations of the sectional and regional levels.  

Common questions:

Q:  Why don't local TV stations air the finals?

A:   The cost to produce the finals for television using advertising as the revenue source isn't feasible.  No TV station or regional sports network came forward to cover these costs.  Advertising dollars are escaping conventional media such as television stations, radio and newspapers migrating to the web and social media.

Q:  Where does the money go?

A:  The cost to produce a broadcast quality production for sports previously covered by Bally exceeds $200,000.  Those costs will need to covered before any distribution to schools or the association.  However, the IHSAA provides over $2,000,000 in tournament gate proceeds back to the schools yearly.   This year, rights fees paid by broadcasters are also being given back to the schools.  The amount given back to the schools exceeds the total operational budget of the IHSAA.

Q:  How can I watch?

A:  There are several options.  The best option is purchasing a Roku, Firestick or Apple TV device and downloading the free IHSAAtv app from their various app stores.  You'll need an account with HUDL, to which you will be prompted when purchasing access.  These devices connect to the HDMI port on your TV allowing you to watch the game in high definition.  It's always available via your browser at IHSAAtv.org

Q:  Is a yearly subscription for IHSAAtv available?

A:  At this time, the only option HUDL (our streaming provider) provides is a purchase of single games (matching the event ticket price) or an all-access pass (generally a $5 add) that gives you all games being played at the current final or semi-state.

Q:  Will the finals return to Cable TV?

A:  We don't know.  There's a chance Bally comes out of bankruptcy and decides to re-up.  Our hopes for local over the air TV is low due to the substantial cost of production.  This cost was the reason the Comcast and Channel 4 excited coverage in the recent past.

IHSAAsports began streaming finals in 2005 and exited in 2010 due to costs.  IHSAAtv.org was founded by HomeTown Sports and is now a product of the IHSAA.

Attached picture is from the NFHS network showing states that charge for tournament viewing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Due to the bankruptcy of Bally Sports, future telecasts of IHSAA state championships will be exclusively as a pay-per-view presentation on IHSAAtv.org.  46 states preceded the IHSAA in charging for viewing.  Additionally, the IHSAA is one of the few that still allow free-to-watch presentations of the sectional and regional levels.  

Common questions:

Q:  Why don't local TV stations air the finals?

A:   The cost to produce the finals for television using advertising as the revenue source isn't feasible.  No TV station or regional sports network came forward to cover these costs.  Advertising dollars are escaping conventional media such as television stations, radio and newspapers migrating to the web and social media.

Q:  Where does the money go?

A:  The cost to produce a broadcast quality production for sports previously covered by Bally exceeds $200,000.  Those costs will need to covered before any distribution to schools or the association.  However, the IHSAA provides over $2,000,000 in tournament gate proceeds back to the schools yearly.   This year, rights fees paid by broadcasters are also being given back to the schools.  The amount given back to the schools exceeds the total operational budget of the IHSAA.

Q:  How can I watch?

A:  There are several options.  The best option is purchasing a Roku, Firestick or Apple TV device and downloading the free IHSAAtv app from their various app stores.  You'll need an account with HUDL, to which you will be prompted when purchasing access.  These devices connect to the HDMI port on your TV allowing you to watch the game in high definition.  It's always available via your browser at IHSAAtv.org

Q:  Is a yearly subscription for IHSAAtv available?

A:  At this time, the only option HUDL (our streaming provider) provides is a purchase of single games (matching the event ticket price) or an all-access pass (generally a $5 add) that gives you all games being played at the current final or semi-state.

Q:  Will the finals return to Cable TV?

A:  We don't know.  There's a chance Bally comes out of bankruptcy and decides to re-up.  Our hopes for local over the air TV is low due to the substantial cost of production.  This cost was the reason the Comcast and Channel 4 excited coverage in the recent past.

IHSAAsports began streaming finals in 2005 and exited in 2010 due to costs.  IHSAAtv.org was founded by HomeTown Sports and is now a product of the IHSAA.

Attached picture is from the NFHS network showing states that charge for tournament viewing.

One of the more clear, concise and informative posts I’ve seen on the GID in some time.

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

A:  At this time, the only option HUDL (our streaming provider)

Forget Google, Microsoft, or Apple.  If the US DOJ wants to go after a monopoly, HUDL should be their first target. 

I'm being somewhat facetious - but I'm not entirely untrue.  

Edited by oldtimeqb
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, MarkCalaway said:

The fact that the IHSAA forces you to buy an online ticket as well as an online subscription to view the games tells you all that you need to know. 

I've stream (both smart and olders TV's) from the IHSAA network.  Never had to pay an online subscription fee.  There is typically a charge for the individual events.

I use Roku for my older TV's....I know Amazon Firestick is another good option.

Love streaming...glad I got away from cable, specifically Comcast.  What a racket.

22 hours ago, Bobref said:

One of the more clear, concise and informative posts I’ve seen on the GID in some time.

That's from our facebook post.  There are so many misconceptions about this that we thought a clarification was necessary.  We are still answering questions, but generally fans were unaware that the contact with Bally paid the hefty costs of production.  So for many years, it was free.   The bigger picture is the death of linear television on cable. Channel 13, 6, 4 and others simply can't sell enough advertising to remove network programming and substitute these ad revenues with local sports sponsors.  That's why you don't see games on 13, 6 and 4 during the regular season and tournament.   Even ESPN is going to a subscription plan anticipating the death of cable companies.  

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, IHSAA Champions Network said:

That's from our facebook post.  There are so many misconceptions about this that we thought a clarification was necessary.  We are still answering questions, but generally fans were unaware that the contact with Bally paid the hefty costs of production.  So for many years, it was free.   The bigger picture is the death of linear television on cable. Channel 13, 6, 4 and others simply can't sell enough advertising to remove network programming and substitute these ad revenues with local sports sponsors.  That's why you don't see games on 13, 6 and 4 during the regular season and tournament.   Even ESPN is going to a subscription plan anticipating the death of cable companies.  

That's because ESPN has continually held cable companies hostage with ridiculous programming cost hikes year after year after year.  The content providers killed cable...and now they will get their pound of flesh another way.

Excuse my ignorance - and appreciate the informative post Titan32 - but can someone break it down simply for my technological ignorant brain ? What do I need to do in order to be able to watch the State Finals on my TV? (I understand I can watch it from my computer browser via IHSAATV.org) 

If I have a smart-TV, is it as simple as accessing the web browser thru my TV and just doing it that way?? 

1 minute ago, jets said:

Excuse my ignorance - and appreciate the informative post Titan32 - but can someone break it down simply for my technological ignorant brain ? What do I need to do in order to be able to watch the State Finals on my TV? (I understand I can watch it from my computer browser via IHSAATV.org) 

If I have a smart-TV, is it as simple as accessing the web browser thru my TV and just doing it that way?? 

I pull up the IHSAA app on my phone. Once the content begins, I hit the "Cast" button and send it to my TV.