Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Crown Point at Penn

Craig Buzea will be looking to get a monkey off his back as he is 0-4 against Penn in Regionals between '95 and '03 when he was the Portage HC. His lone win against Penn was with his 2019 Homewood-Flossmoor team that beat Penn by 28. Considering Crown Point's OOC schedule was fairly weak and the Duneland is basically a 5A Conference with Portage and Lake Central not competiive at all at the 6A level, this feels like Week 1 for Crown Point at the 6A Level. They have some athletes at RB and WR who are pretty good. Lines are very big as well on both sides of the ball. They'll put 4 D1 recruits on the field

• 6'3 S Landon Delich (Toledo)
  • 6'3 DL Paul Clark (Buffalo)
  • 6'4 LB Will Clark (Buffalo) 
  • 6'1 JR QB Noah Ehrlich has a couple of MAC Offers

Crown Point has taken care of business this year as expected based on their schedule, but they've often never looked dominate doing it. Not really sure how they match up with Penn. Buzea is a skilled and veteran offensive play caller with over 30 years on his resume. He'll find ways to get Crown Point in the endzone. It looked like Penn was running RPO against Valpo in week 1. I haven't watched the Kingsmen since. I remember them having some speed at QB and RB that really hurt Valpo on the outside. Crown Point can be beaten the same way. Their strength on D is the inside run game. 

I've been saying it all year, but I feel like Crown Point is a complete unknown at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if they beat Penn by double digits or lost a close one. Because of that I would probably give the edge to Penn by about 3-6.

11 minutes ago, temptation said:

Past vs the Future?

This game will tell us a lot in my opinion.

I guess your considering CP the future ? Please explain why you feel this way . They are undefeated in a weaker than normal DAC . Even if they beat Penn , I wouldn't consider them the future . Everyone was saying that about Carroll last year and then this year they get taken behind the woodshed by a mediocre Warsaw team . I think teams need to string a couple Sectional, Regional, Semistate titles together before being labeled the future . 

Just now, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

I guess your considering CP the future ? Please explain why you feel this way . They are undefeated in a weaker than normal DAC . Even if they beat Penn , I wouldn't consider them the future . Everyone was saying that about Carroll last year and then this year they get taken behind the woodshed by a mediocre Warsaw team . I think teams need to string a couple Sectional, Regional, Semistate titles together before being labeled the future . 

It is definitely premature but they were an afterthought before the current coaching staff.  Affluent, growing community...checks all of the boxes.

IF they beat Penn we can START having the conversation...

11 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Craig Buzea will be looking to get a monkey off his back as he is 0-4 against Penn in Regionals between '95 and '03 when he was the Portage HC. His lone win against Penn was with his 2019 Homewood-Flossmoor team that beat Penn by 28. Considering Crown Point's OOC schedule was fairly weak and the Duneland is basically a 5A Conference with Portage and Lake Central not competiive at all at the 6A level, this feels like Week 1 for Crown Point at the 6A Level. They have some athletes at RB and WR who are pretty good. Lines are very big as well on both sides of the ball. They'll put 4 D1 recruits on the field

• 6'3 S Landon Delich (Toledo)
  • 6'3 DL Paul Clark (Buffalo)
  • 6'4 LB Will Clark (Buffalo) 
  • 6'1 JR QB Noah Ehrlich has a couple of MAC Offers

Crown Point has taken care of business this year as expected based on their schedule, but they've often never looked dominate doing it. Not really sure how they match up with Penn. Buzea is a skilled and veteran offensive play caller with over 30 years on his resume. He'll find ways to get Crown Point in the endzone. It looked like Penn was running RPO against Valpo in week 1. I haven't watched the Kingsmen since. I remember them having some speed at QB and RB that really hurt Valpo on the outside. Crown Point can be beaten the same way. Their strength on D is the inside run game. 

I've been saying it all year, but I feel like Crown Point is a complete unknown at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if they beat Penn by double digits or lost a close one. Because of that I would probably give the edge to Penn by about 3-6.

The Clark brothers are Studs , they will both win state titles in Wrestling this year . 

49 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

Going to go with Penn in a close one on this one. CP has played 2 legitimate football teams this year and couldn’t put together a good 4 quarters of football against either of them. 

Was that from a defensive or offensive standpoint or all around? 

5 hours ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

The DAC is weaker than Normal? Crown Point is way up. Merrillville is their normal self, which is overall Top 25, and Valpo is right up there with all time Valpo greats of the past. Is the rest of the conference way down? 

Don't let one game skew your opinion of Carroll. They fell asleep against Warsaw this year, maybe since last years game was a yawner, who knows. The Chargers looked pretty solid against Hamilton Southeastern, Warren Central, and Snider. And if you believe in "transitive property," then they are better than Fishers. 

I agree with Temptation, Crown Point is on the upswing.............regardless if they win or lose on Friday. 

4 hours ago, temptation said:

It is definitely premature but they were an afterthought before the current coaching staff.  Affluent, growing community...checks all of the boxes.

IF they beat Penn we can START having the conversation...

Not even then. If they win the Regional this year and next year , then we can start . Again lets look at Carroll  everyone (even myself) was saying  they may be the 6A north team of the future . They went from state runnerup to out in the first round of the playoffs . 

24 minutes ago, BTF said:

The DAC is weaker than Normal? Crown Point is way up. Merrillville is their normal self, which is overall Top 25, and Valpo is right up there with all time Valpo greats of the past. Is the rest of the conference way down? 

Don't let one game skew your opinion of Carroll. They fell asleep against Warsaw this year, maybe since last years game was a yawner, who knows. The Chargers looked pretty solid against Hamilton Southeastern, Warren Central, and Snider. And if you believe in "transitive property," then they are better than Fishers. 

I agree with Temptation, Crown Point is on the upswing.............regardless if they win or lose on Friday. 

Temp was saying Penn was the past and CP is the future . So if Penn wins Friday , wouldn't they be the future?

13 minutes ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

Not even then. If they win the Regional this year and next year , then we can start . Again lets look at Carroll  everyone (even myself) was saying  they may be the 6A north team of the future . They went from state runnerup to out in the first round of the playoffs . 

I see your point and maybe I am speaking in hyperbole but I have been looking for a non-Indy based 6A power to emerge for over two decades now so maybe its just wishful thinking on my part.  No one outside of Fort Wayne was happier to see Carroll break through last year than this guy.  I think they, along with Crown Point have the resources, facilities, coaching staff, commitment and buy in to be what Penn was in the 90s.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

Temp was saying Penn was the past and CP is the future . So if Penn wins Friday , wouldn't they be the future?

Penn is still a solid program, they just haven't won state in awhile. When Geesman was at the helm, they reloaded every year bar none and were considered Top 4 in the state regardless of class. With Yoeman, they're more like a yoyo. Top 25 seems to be the new bar. If Penn wins state this year, there's no reason to believe they'll get out of sectional next season. It just seems like that lately for the Kingsmen. 

Seeing what CP's new coaching staff has done in a short period of time, I'm already sold that they're a player for years to come. Don't sleep on Dinan and Carroll, I saw how good they were in person. Warsaw clearly wanted it more than they did. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BTF said:

The DAC is awful this year and anyone from the Region will tell you that. 

Just now, scarab527 said:

The DAC is awful this year and anyone from the Region will tell you that. 

Can you elaborate a little bit? Kind of like the SAC and the Big Ten? Two teams and everyone else? Three teams in DAC's case?

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Can you elaborate a little bit? Kind of like the SAC and the Big Ten? Two teams and everyone else? Three teams in DAC's case?

Basically, but even the good teams are down.

2023 Merrillville gets running clocked by their 2020 + 2021 teams. 

2023 Valpo gets running clocked by 2018 + 2019 Valpo. 

CP feasting on a bunch of mediocre teams but still can’t blow games open unless they run up the score late. 

Every other team ranges from mediocre at best to downright terrible.