Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Biggest upsets in State Tourney??

Was watching a little bit of the Warren/CG game last night that was tight throughout- and it got me thinking…

What are some of the biggest “upsets” that have taken place in the IHSAA football tournament?? 

I know we rarely have the #1 ranked team win in all classes so technically you could say they happen every year- but I’m talking “super teams” everyone just assumed were going to walk thru the tourney??

I fancy myself a historian somewhat of high school football and really- I couldn’t come up with many. The Zachary teams that everyone thought would dominate did…Anthrops LCC teams did, Kisner Pioneer teams- same. Warren Central with Tardy…yup. Banks with Ben Davis, they won it. Heck even as far back as Grossman with BS. 

19 minutes ago, jets said:

Was watching a little bit of the Warren/CG game last night that was tight throughout- and it got me thinking…

What are some of the biggest “upsets” that have taken place in the IHSAA football tournament?? 

I know we rarely have the #1 ranked team win in all classes so technically you could say they happen every year- but I’m talking “super teams” everyone just assumed were going to walk thru the tourney??

I fancy myself a historian somewhat of high school football and really- I couldn’t come up with many. The Zachary teams that everyone thought would dominate did…Anthrops LCC teams did, Kisner Pioneer teams- same. Warren Central with Tardy…yup. Banks with Ben Davis, they won it. Heck even as far back as Grossman with BS. 

At the state finals, Lowell beat Roncalli 28-27 in 2005.  Some people thought that was a big upset.  Snider beat Ben Davis 24-21 in 1992 at State.  Castle beat Hobart 26-23 in 1982.  Many people thought those games were upsets.

19 minutes ago, jets said:

2000 Center Grove beat Ben Davis 30-28 in Semi-State. Ben Davis was led by James Banks, but Center Grove stunned them at Ben Davis in the Semi-State. Ben Davis had beaten CG in the regular season 29-14. CG went to their first State Championship and lost to Penn 21-0.

2000 also Plainfield beat Cathedral 14-7 in Sectional Semi-Final. Plainfield was good and undefeated for sure, but most fully expected Cathedral to win that game. Cathedral won State in 1998 and 1999, the Irish were undefeated coming into the game led by Otis Shannon. Plainfield stunned everyone that night. Plainfield went on to make it to the State Championship losing to East Noble 28-7.

There was almost another one in 5A in 1999 when Arlington had Ben Davis on the ropes in Regionals. Arlington led the game 15-13 with seconds to go. Ben Davis kicked a long FG (I want to say 50 yarder but my memory escapes me) to win the game 16-15. Ben Davis went on to beat Penn in the State Championship game eventually 27-3. Had Arlington won that game it would have been an upset.

Most people looked at South Putnam beating North Judson in the state finals in '86 as a big upset. South had never had a winning season until the year before, and was only 5-3 going into the tourney--Judson was unbeaten and had been #1 in class all season.

2005 had a couple big ones. As @Tippy mentioned, Lowell going into the tournament at 5-4 and knocking off Roncalli in the 4A state title game was a big upset.

However, you also had a NorthWood team that entered the tournament at 3-6. They knocked off an undefeated Griffith team led by Russ Radtke at semi-state 17-10 before defeating Chatard 7-0 for the 3A state title. Four of their six tournament wins were by a touchdown. Their final record of 9-6 is still the worst ever by a state champion

Edited by Frozen Tundra
  • Like 1